Remote SubLiving

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Nov 17, 2020.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Talked about this to a buddy while out in San Diego. About me - mid 30's, no wife, no kids, renting not owning a house currently, can work remote for foreseeable future with current employer. I'm going to go into serious thought for rest of the year to see if i should get out of my current situation, living on Folly Beach, SC to explore living somewhere else. I glanced at Craigslist in Jax, Space Coast and even Florida Keys (i dunno why). I've got the means to go somewhere else and live, so maybe i should push for it? Puerto Rico perhaps. Buddy mentioned Central America. I'm actually living with a guy who got 6 months to travel out of DC and he's living with us cuz his family is half hour out. Any ideas that's not 3 time zones out?

Manik, headhigh and Carson like this.
  2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I have nothing except to say, if you have the means and you have the flexibility, now is the time to do it. Don't not do something that you'll regret later.

3. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Dude, go for it. If you ever do settle down, especially if you have kids, you may not get the opportunity. With the cold settling in up in New England, I would love to escape to a warmer climate.
    If you feel comfortable out of country, you can live really well and cheap in Central America. Even PR, I'd love to spend a few years out there.
    No kids, no wife, the ability to work remotely, take advantage of it.

4. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pavones? there is an hour time diff. not sure what the internet is like. but i bet it's not too bad. and it's friggin Pavones.

Make that happen

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Is easy access to surf a requirement?

Every time I weigh the pros and cons of moving it always boils down to how far I would live from the ocean.

Where in the USA except for the south-east can one have mild weather, clean, uncrowded beaches within 10 minutes of my house, tons of non-surfing water activities, and a relatively low cost of living? There's just one thing I hate about living here.

Surfing aside, I could see myself living in the rocky mountains for a while. Snowboarding, mountain biking, and legal ganja would fill the surfing void I think.

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  6. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    “what good is living, this life you’ve been given, if all you ever do is stay in one place” Ben
    Go for it bro.

NotAMasshole likes this.
  7. 666Face

666Face Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Stagnate Fart Wafts need a Draft

8. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Have you looked at Vietnam? Super cheap and really nice. My o..2 cents

9. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Charlie don't surf.

headhigh likes this.
  10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Haha, been to Pavones. Talk bout remote. You'd have to be by the 3 bars to get solid internet access. We got skunked actually in Pavones years ago

11. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    for the dream

UnfurleD likes this.
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Caribbean... for sure. Probably another country's island at that. Just make sure your house is hurricane-proof.

antoine and headhigh like this.
  13. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    What islands would you say have the best and most reliable internet?

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Pretty much all of the USVI do... and some of the more expensive "tourist destination" islands do too... like Guadeloupe and the Caymans.

15. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    If it were me. And it may be sooner than later...I will need surf more than internet along with a healthy lifestyle and probably not an island but who knows

headhigh likes this.
  16. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. At least long term. (Source: lived in CO on two separate occasions, for about five years in total. Both times eventually concluded I prefer inconsistent and rarely-epic east coast surf with frequently terrible weather to virtually unlimited world class powder and singletrack, and blue skies with zero humidity 300 days a year.)

Shame too, because lack of ocean aside CO is pretty much heaven on earth in most other regards. And I am pretty much a skiing and mountain biking addict, but if I had to choose one sport/hobby to stick with for the rest of my life, I'd pick surfing in a heartbeat and never look back.

Funny thing is I've met CO natives who feel the exact opposite... they move to the beach for a few years and end up moving back because they miss the mountains too much. So idk if it's a function of where you grow up, luck of the draw as to which activity speaks to you the most, or if surfing is just objectively better than skiing or MTB. I'm leaning toward the third, fwiw.

17. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm going to agree that coastal living is a must. I've lived minutes from the ocean for a good part of my adult life. And when I didn't was when I was married, only an hour away but it was a whole lifestyle shift I didn't like. The ex got an above ground pool like that was supposed to be a substitute and when we did hit the coast it was an ordeal with traffic, coolers, lawn chairs, what a friggin nightmare.
    I love mountain biking too but there are a ton of cool trails local and the mountains aren't far and are always firing.
    I don't do powder, knees won't allow it but you can surf and ski in the same day in places like NH, Maine, Cali too with Big Bear only a couple of hours out of LA.
    Options are fun.
    Go tropical

antoine and Carson like this.
  18. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    That is quite literally my nightmare. Also, umbrellas :eek:

sigmund, antoine and Carson like this.
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
  20. headhigh