Remote SubLiving

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Nov 17, 2020.

1. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Count me as another avid skier who lived in Colorado (and other mountain states) who believed that powder would substitute for surf lust.

It was satisfying, but I really missed surfing. To the point where I dreamed about it in my sleep fairly regularly.

Lots of warm uncrowded consistent surf in Mexico with a decent grid and infrastructure. Surf is limitless, cost of living is still comparably cheap. Thought about this many times but the wife doesn't want to be so far from family.

Whichever you decide, good luck

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is a goode thread.

3. Kelly_Smith

Kelly_Smith Member

Mar 19, 2020
    I would love to escape to a warmer climate. It is cold and I super love it!

4. Kelly_Smith

Kelly_Smith Member

Mar 19, 2020
    Never do something that you will regret!

5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Why you no tell me advise BEFORE I do regretful thing :'(

antoine and Carson like this.
  6. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Only give medical advise..never life advise. And @kelly..start completing your thoughts. You give us nothing to learn about you

7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Based on this thread I will never try to replace surfing with snowboarding.

Great advise guys.

As a very wise person once said, "Never do something that you will regret!"

eatswell, antoine and World B Free like this.
  8. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    This sounds suite.

I often times sit here wondering why I don’t go somewhere and spend some time. Especially in a warmer climate. At the end of the day, it probably comes down to the fact that I’m not sure it’s in my budget.

I’ve long since had this dream of buying something on Oahu and escaping there several times a year. I have a good friend who has the money, who talks about getting a place there and we can use it whenever we want.

I also have another friend that’s talking about doing it right now and actually wants to buy something there ASAP.

Honestly, I’d even settle for California or Florida right now. I’ve found a couple of trailers within my budget down in South Florida. I’m thinking of checking some out next year or the year after, when I’ll have some more money.

I find myself already struggling with the cold and it’s not even that cold yet, nor have we had anything less than a mild Fall. Might have something to do with turning 50 in just a few months. :eek:

Carson and Manik like this.
  9. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    I bought a trailer 2400 square ft on a 1/4 acre in cocoa beach 1 block from the banana river and 2 miles to the beach for 85 k. No regrets

10. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    2400 sq ft trailer? That's a bigger footprint than my house. And 85 k?

Shoot I'm the one who should have regrets.

antoine likes this.
  11. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Wow Antoine, that does sound sweet. I have less than 800 sq ft, and had to pay quite a bit more before I even did the tear down to start from scratch. And I also have had enough of the cold, not digging the aches and pains.
    But I am stuck here for quite a bit longer, until my kid leaves the nest it's a lot of ibuprofen and squeezing in and out of a 5/4 every winter, it could be worse, I could be stuck in Kansas

headhigh and antoine like this.
  12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    If you came here on thanksgiving day during a global pandemic to ask about life advise, then your seriously fooked up.
    Good luck!

UnfurleD likes this.
  13. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Don't get me wrong. I had to put in sweat equity up the arse but luckily I have the skills and tools to make it a home. It was rough in the beginning but nothing easy is really worth it and I can't afford a mortgage

Manik likes this.
  14. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    You're more than welcome to come visit.

15. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Thanks Buddy, if I ever make it down and have time I'll reach out.

antoine likes this.
  16. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Unfurled, the folly glow might have worn off but it’s hard to replace. That said, Rincon, PR has it. Go there and rent me your spare room from time to time.

Manik, Carson, headhigh and 2 others like this.
  17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    ...Add in hot pavement, black leather seats, and a toddler.

antoine and Carson like this.
  18. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I lived a couple blocks north of Washout for 6-7 months back in '98-'99. Went back for a couple weeks around 2010. Personally I loved it there. The island is gorgeous, the surf gets good although a bit inconsistent and Chucktown is a national treasure.

IIRC, Notaseal also decided to get out of Folly.

So, my question is "why" have you guys become disenchanted with it?

Being a native San Diegan, I would have liked to stay there but I couldn't put up with the crowds, out-of-state blow-in's, cost of living, quality of life and a host of other things. I honestly just couldn't take it anymore.

We considered places like P-cola and Cabo when I retired, but eventually wound up in the PNW to be close to my wife's family. The weather is cool and rainy 300 days a year, and it can be a real drag. OTOH, the waves can get very good, and although it's occasionally "crowded" I still frequently surf with very few people. Scenery is unmatched, cost of living is reasonable, quality of life is off-the-charts. So, while it has some negatives, I am content enough to finish out the rest of my days here.

That being said, I'd personally be jacked to live in or around Folly.

Too many people jump from place to place looking for "happiness", or whatever. Seems less like a "search" and more like "escape".

just my dos centavos

sigmund, UnfurleD, antoine and 3 others like this.
  19. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Good post kidde, and your right about appreciating where your at.
    One thing that makes me fantasize about moving to warmer climes is the possible physical benefits. I feel arthritis is in my future, and foggy New England coastline doesn't help this time of year. I'm thinking the PNW is probably even rainier and foggier, wondering if your retired joints feel the difference from SD to up north?

Been watching a bunch of youtube vids from Bali, I can't think of the page offhand but they post almost weekly, consistent beautiful waves, lots of chicas in there finest thongware, it's nice to dream

antoine likes this.
  20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sounds freakin' perfect, brother.

La_Piedra likes this.