who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I have been surfing more since the 'demic started. My boards are def showing the increased wear.

I think you're just ripping too hard for your gear.

antoine likes this.
  2. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Surfing here in salulita mex was okay the first three days but battling the locals for the same wave all day is tiresome.
    The town is cool and easy to navigate. Rented a golf cart and drove thatbiotch all the way to stoners...almost didn't make it back. Once again battling the locals for the same damn wave.

Guess I should be greatfull but I'm frustrated really.
    Waves drop off tomorrow but at least its clean and clear surf. Gonna snorkel tomorrow on my own so hopefully ill have that to myself

Manik, headhigh and UnfurleD like this.

3. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Well today ends a great streak of surf from this past weekend. Fun, challenging, and decent sized surf all weekend, and finally the wind came around for dawn patrol on Monday morning.

Clean stomach to shoulder waves coming in. Decent push and consistent. The only drawback was that I was surfing at dead low tide, which when we get a little size means long close-out lines. I was out there on my 9'6 getting in as early as I can. I got a couple good views as I drove into closeouts, but I managed to snag one right where the wave was breaking just as fast as I was surfing. I was gunning it and could hear the hollow sucking sound that let's you know you're in just the right spot. I caught a few more and made it home for a 9:15 meeting. Stoked for a 3 day work-week and hopefully taking my boat for it's maiden voyage this weekend!

Carson, Manik and antoine like this.
  4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yesterday was underwhelming. At least up here at the North end of the state. Absolutely flat today... not a trace of swell. Perfect conditions for a swim around the rocks. Just hope the visibility is decent... got skunked the past two dive days with 3' viz and no signs of life.

5. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I’ve surfed whenever I could lately, which is basically any day that conditions are at least mediocre. There’s usually been something to ride 3-5 days a week, so I’ve had plenty of time in the water.

The only positive of covid has been that I’ve really been able to surf more, due to being out of work. It’s given me a load of free time and I’ve spent a lot of it surfing, and with no regret at all.

Just wish I was somewhere warmer than in Jersey, though, as I said in the other thread just now.

Carson likes this.
  6. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Finally found a spot that was uncrowded in San pancho. I rented a board for 15$ for the day and surfed left and rights only taking a break for food and a short nap. Lots of beautiful women in the water to make the day so much better.
    Nothing but friendly people in town and lots of good food.

headhigh, UnfurleD and Carson like this.
  7. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    A couple shots from today, slack wind, great conditions, a couple of spots were crowded but for the most part if you wanted a crowd free wave they were there.
    I thought my mushrooming was done for the year but scored at least 6 pounds of oyster mushrooms today, it was crazy. I gave most of them to my buddy who has been teaching me, he was stoked. He cooks his then preserves them in jars, I kept just under a pound and have plans to cook them up with some steak tips tonight, plus a nice green salad.
    Hope everyone is scoring! MVI_1206_Moment.jpg MVI_1203_Moment.jpg

sisurfdogg, headhigh, Carson and 2 others like this.
  8. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    just got back from a dog walk on the beach. The water looks like the Bahamas this morning. Unfortunately the surf looks like the Bahamas too. There is a tiny groundswell in the water though if you really wanted to go longboarding.

antoine likes this.
  9. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Screenshot_2020-11-28-08-36-20.png yeah I know I'm not in it

10. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Never have had a hookup with a 4fter , at night , on a black magnum bomber

11. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  12. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  13. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Finally got the boat finished and did some exploring this weekend. Charted the coordinates of a uninhabited island just south of my normal surf spots and made my way out there. On Saturday the wind was particularly light so the wife and I headed out thru the inlet and into the ocean, then back in towards shore to spot some surf.

Just as predicted there were some fun little lines coming in, so we dropped anchor and paddled in towards the breakers. This was my first time ever paddling in to the surf, and it was a bit surreal. I was also stressing about the boat the entire time, but I hear that goes away with experience.

We surfed clean pushing waves for a couple hours all alone, and when we got tired we paddled back out to the boat, got changed, ate some food and made our way back to the boat ramp.

It has been quite a journey, from buying a tow rig, to fixing the tow rig up, then sourcing the boat and spending 4 months restoring it to finally being able to use it for surf. I have to say it is hella satisfying. I can't imagine just buying a truck and a boat and simply using it. Maybe someday.

pdub, sisurfdogg, Manik and 4 others like this.
  14. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Head , best of luck

headhigh likes this.
  15. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks bud. Great shots by the way! Nice lil sharky ya got there.

16. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    In season , I fish a 9ft med action with 50 lb leaders , 14 lb mono and a 60 lb barrel swivels . Night fishing off the jettys I swim the fish into the rocks, go down and haul em out . The big swivels gives u a little something to grab . That sand shark was a project .The big bass stayed off the beaches , but they were there 9756ECED-6BDF-4FAF-897E-91E4EE0A630C.jpeg

sigmund, Manik, LBCrew and 3 others like this.
  17. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Shot of swell yesterday evening after gale winds turned this beach town into a freezer. It lined up right tho, drifted north, farthest i drifted up the Washout in a while. Went with a couple buds, took out the 6'4 alchemist - should've tried harder to find that back fin to lock in a tri fin session. Def lost my footing when it skidded on the deep drops, but did manage. Everything was pulling ya right of way, same way as the current. It was fun, it was chilly, but def worthy given the bleek forecast. As i told my friends, don't judge me and my surfing after a post turkey swell

sisurfdogg, Carson and Manik like this.
  18. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Back from Thanksgiving in Arizona, where there were zero waves. Was bleak all weekend but thing perked up a bit this morning. Waist plus waves showing from NW swell that's not supposed to be here yet with some steep SSW mixed in. Was kinda lumpy with the high tide, but got a few fun ones. Had a real nice left lined up until one of the regulars dropped straight in on me. Looked right at me, went anyway, I called him off (twice) and he kept going, we kicked out at the same time, he looked right at me and paddled away. I said "All I ask is the same fucking courtesy I give you" and he blatantly ignored me. Douchebag. Glad it time to move up the road to the Powerplant for the NW swells. Those guys are dickwads.

sisurfdogg and UnfurleD like this.
  19. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Lots of moving water and xtra big sets today, a little too big for me, have to be honest, hoping it drops a little later or sticks around till tomorrow. MVI_1299_Moment.jpg MVI_1297_Moment.jpg

sigmund, sisurfdogg, UnfurleD and 2 others like this.
  20. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Top one looks to be legit DOH. I'd be taking pictures too. No shame.