Jet Ski Mayhem

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Manik, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I've seen crazy vids of jet ski's getting caught but this one takes the cake. Some of those dudes caught serious air, lucky they didn't land on each other

headhigh likes this.
  2. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Lol love how this clip was calmly narrated by Bob Ross or a late night smooth jazz radio DJ. Not like there was any possible consequence on hand to get alarmed for...

I’ve done rescue water craft operation, jet skis and rescue boats, and this was on the end of gnar. Some serious HP on those machines in the clip. They were moving. The extra long period sure helped with the recovery time. Would like to know the safety and operational plans of this mission or exercise or w/e it was. You want to avoid what we saw at all costs.

cool post Manik

La_Piedra likes this.

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    STRANGE video lol.

Those dudes were very lucky there wasn't another cleanup set out the back. I remember a video last year of a ski smashed on the rocks at jaws.

4. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Yeah, you gotta love the super calm Xanax narration with waterworld carnage everywhere. There was a news report about this, people did get injured, a surf photographer was on one of the skis getting air, the landing really messed p his back, as you can imagine. Also Mick Fanning was on some show that brought this up, they are talking new ski regulations

5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Manik likes this.
  6. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I heard the Mick Fanning thing too. It was on a trailer for a WSL podcast or something. Never took the time to look it up.

Regarding the injuries, I went over the handlebars doing 55 on a jetski once. I bounced on the water a good 5 or 6 times before I broke the surface. They are not joking when they say it's like falling on concrete at that speed. My neck was never the same.

7. icekoala

icekoala New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Anybody know who where the guys on the White Ski that got launched?

Those guys shouldn't have been there. I understand that when you get caught inside and conditions are that big you don't make the best decisions because of "fight or flight", but damn! Those guys didn't appear to have been in a situation like that before, and in my opinion shouldn't have been out there. Even the kookiest jet-ski tow teams know that you have to time the top of the wave and let go of the throttle. I bet you that some of the Pros that where there are pissed off right now because that event could have ended in somebody getting killed.

8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    “Waterworld Carnage” lol. Perfect analogy, it looked like a band of Smokers attacking.

Jet ski going over the falls with a surfer in the tube at macking Chopes. Guys bailing out of boats in the channel at macking Ala Moana. This crap has been going on for a while now.

The crew still need to work on their game a bit, but it’s still much better than it was 20 or even 5 years ago. But it’s obvious they need to tighten it up.

As far as “fight or flight”, I saw 98% of the skis gun it for the horizon. I would have taken the chicken shite route and headed for the beach and looked for the shoulder. It was a massive sneaker set and it’s easy for me to Monday morning QB, but I would have hauled a$$ in a different direction.

Goes with the territory I guess...you pays yo money, you takes yo chances

9. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I've wondered why they don't have someone driving a drone using an open radio frequency to call out those sets. We all saw it from the drone probably a full minute before the guys in the water did. That minute would have given every one of those guys time to get out the back safely.

10. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Obviously the next step.

IMHO, you’ll never be ready for every single contingency. Playing deadly games sometimes ends in death.

Kinda like driving on the freeway

sigmund and Carson like this.
  11. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    That’s a serious smack. I had a SeaDoo that topped out between 61 and 65 depending on the day, fuel quality, wind, and water surface. I would feel the concrete at about 35. Was cautious enough after that one not to let it happen at greater speed. Over the bars at 55, schit. You were like a skipping rock at the whim of Newton’s first law.

you dudes are right about decisions made in fight or flight period aren’t always the best. But indecision is always a bad decision and will kill you a lot faster most often.

12. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009