What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by all4blues, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Best Rock and Roll band ever

Manik likes this.
  2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015

I'm pretty fond of them myself.

Peajay4060 and antoine like this.

3. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015

I forgot how good this album was, actually not my favorite song on it but still a good one

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I saw them in 1991. Gabby Haynes was a trip. Shooting LOUD blank rounds from what looked like some kind of antique rifle or musket on stage in time with the music.

Manik likes this.
  5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006

Favorite band ever. My wife I connected over them. She thought I was an old fuddy duddy until I started talking about LIVE and when I started listening to them (early 90s).

headhigh and antoine like this.
  6. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    She
    She's not wrong!!

7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    LOL. Got that right! :D

antoine likes this.
  8. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    That's awesome, I never saw them. I have a cuz Im close with in California, he sent pics of himself hanging out with Paul Leary at a video shoot for a band called sprayAllen, (it's a side project for Eric Wilson, the bassist from Sublime, my cuz has been hanging out with him). He had great pics, said keep a lookout for this band.
    The Buttholes for me are up there with Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Melvins… bands that kind of defined a time and sound. Expanded my palate, which was mostly thrash metal and hardcore punk up till then.

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I also saw Dinosaur Jr. around the same time '90 or '91. Tiny club. They were SO FUCKING LOUD. Like thumping groundshaking loud bass and drums the whole time but I still remember the vibrating feeling way deep inside my ears every time J Mascis stepped on a pedal and put that that guitar into overdrive. Great show. I never saw them again, and kind of lost interest after their first few records but "Yr living all over me" "Bug" and "Green Mind" from that period are all amazing heavy records.

Carson and Manik like this.
  10. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I saw Tim Armstrong on an episode of the new Twilight Zone about an alien octopus, pretty cool. I didn't recognize him, he grew a duck dynasty beard. I always liked Rancid and Operation Ivy. This solo album was great, all old school dub.

11. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Another Tim Armstrong side project, I love this tune

12. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
  13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I saw an interview one time where Mascis said he was originally a drummer, and when he picked up the guitar he wanted to play it like the drums.... like a percussion instrument. I think he found what he was looking for.

Manik likes this.
  14. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
  15. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm going to shamelessly promote my cousins band one more time. They just played at Eric Wilsons B day party at his house a few weeks back (Sublimes bass player. His side project Spray Allen also played. You can check them out on Sound cloud. Different than Sublime, but I thought it was pretty good.). I almost flew out for that one, he brought half my fam, including the Sasquash Rosin Press crew. Lots of cool guests, including Bam Margera.
    They are finishing up a new cd in the studio. I love it cause my cuz is older than me, and is not about to stop anytime soon. It keeps him young.
    Quick shoutout to his guitarist Jimmy's other band, Bag Of Humans, from Baltimore. I dig them too.

headhigh, sisurfdogg and Carson like this.
  16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Fuggg yea. Outerspace themed metal is f***ing dope.

Manik likes this.
  17. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Chicago had a crazy music scene growing up. Not like the west coast, or dc, or nyc. House music was huge in the early to late 80's, you couldn't get away from it. It blended with all the punk, hardcore, and metal to form Industrial. So many crazy clubs, Medusas, The Shelter, Smart Bar, The Crow Bar, Lounge Ax, it was fun. Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Big Black, I can go on, and these guys, so fun live.

LBCrew likes this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea man... Big Black, Jesus and Mary Chain, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, NIN... wow. Memories....

Manik likes this.
  19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    My wife has been dog sitting lately hence the song

Manik likes this.
  20. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015

There is a great show coming up in September in Chicago, the Riot fest. These guys plus Mike Pattons little side project, Faith No More, the Circle Jerks, The Pixies, Devo, the original Misfits lineup(at least Danzig, Jerry Only, and Doyle, original enough, doing the walk Among Us album), and many more..
    Going to plug Spray Allen really quick, they have a show in Poway at the elks lodge really soon (sublimes also playing the Riot fest), A lot of my fam will be there, my cuz is doing guest vocals on a song. Great to see shows coming back.