Cali Strike Mission

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by headhigh, May 19, 2021.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I have a 4 day weekend coming up for memorial day, and was thinking about heading west to surf some real waves for a couple days. Ideally we would go somewhere where we are close enough to the ocean to not need a car. A few blocks or even a half mile walk would be fine.

Any sage advice from ye olde forume?

Anywhere else I should consider for a long weekend?

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Orange or LA county. The S swells don't hit SD county nearly as well as those two counties. Beyond that, I gots nuttin'.

headhigh likes this.

3. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm familiar with Orange county, but in my experience a rental car was a necessity unless I was surfing the in-town spots which all seemed really crowded. This was in SC.

What about Ventura, SB, even further north? Not interested in the well known spots, just looking for a random wave.

4. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    antoine and headhigh like this.
  5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Probably someplace you could stay near the Pier in Oceanside.

antoine, Carson and headhigh like this.
  6. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    This looks promising. How's the beach/water in Oceanside?

The reason I ask is because I surfed by the pier in Ocean Beach SD once and left with a foot fungus and a sinus infection.

7. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I hear SI meteorologists are still on the ground in Sonoma, dialing in the swell forecast. Maybe next trip :D

antoine and World B Free like this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I's stay in San Clemente to have access to a bunch of spots close by... San O, Trestles, Doheny, T-Street...

9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I prefer San Clemente over Oceanside by a mile but you posted earlier in the thread that you'd done that. I find the crowd in Oceanside to be more annoying.
    Never had a problem with water quality. Living in NJ I'm probably immune to whatever California's water could throw at me. LOL!

10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I've surfed the harbor quite a few times. The main peak off the jetty is crowded with the local rippas, but slide down the beach a ways and it's not as aggro. Anyone can get a wave and it's pretty fun. Water quality there is fine. O'side definitely picks up the south swell better than Carlsbad and south.

I've only surfed the north side of the pier, and not the main peak. I was was a peak or two over. Fun waves along that stretch too. Didn't notice any funkiness in the water at all.

If you do decide on O'side, send me a PM. Maybe we can meet up for a session.

headhigh likes this.
  11. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I did really love the whole SC vibe so I'm leaning toward going back there.

Might just say f it and get a rental car again so I can hit Trestles and SanO. Last time I was there I was on the north side of SC, almost closer to Oceanside, and didn't even realize it. Drove down to Trestles every day.

12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    headhigh likes this.
  13. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If you are staying in the San Clemente/Oceanside area and have a military connection, you might want to bring him/her along to get you on the base on the O'side harbor. There is a jetty left that breaks year round but hones on south swells, one of the best waves in SD. And because it's on base, it is never very crowded.

Carson and headhigh like this.
  14. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    This is a very cool idea. My brother-in-law was in the navy and lives in SD...

15. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I've never been on the base, I think it's joint Navy/Marine. I know a few guys that were able to get in with a military pass. It's called Del Mar Jetty (or DMJ's). It's NOT in Del Mar, it's at O'side Harbor. There's some YouTube footage out there if you're interested. Looks similar to Pt. Mugu up in Ventura.

headhigh likes this.
  16. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Booked a flight and hotel room for the end of July. Flying into LAX, driving to the Comfort Inn. Thinking about pre-arranging a car ride from LAX to SC because 1) I don't want to hassle with Uber the day of the flight and 2) because rental cars have gotten way too expensive.

Flying Southwest and noticed that you can substitute a surfboard for 1 FREE checked bag!?! Anyone tried this?

Also regarding the room, the more I think about it the more I kind of want to stay closer to town, and also closer to the beach. Whiles it's cool staying at the closest possible place to the famous breaks, I have parked at the Trestles lot and done the walk many times and I'm not sure I'll feel like walking 45 minutes back down after lunch for the afternoon/evening sesh. Feel like I'll end up surfing more if I'm closer to SC state beach, more restaurants and stuff to do closer to the pier, and maybe I'll catch a ride to the other Trestles parking lot. Any thoughts from youse guys?

I read somewhere that t-street, the pier, and some of SC state beach are "Backballed" and you can only boogie there. Anyone have 1st hand experience with this?

Everything is still cancellable and adjustable.

17. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    OK - cancelled the Comfort Inn and booked a AirBnb 2 blocks from Trafalgar St.

10 minute walk to the beach compared with 40(?) minute walk. Still can't find any solid info about whether surfing is allowed out front. At least now I won't need a car at all. Sushi, ramen, breakfast, and Mexican right by the house too :D

antoine and Carson like this.
  18. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    If you're going end of July then my buddies and I will be there week before, 21st-27th. They both had family in town this past week, so we're supposed to talk up renting a car this wknd. Both are frickin out bout rental prices going up, but btwn 3 of us i'm not too worried. Been stressing the idea of a yellow Hummer to really get ppls attention down there. We're flying Delta, pretty sure they're board policy sucks but i'm gonna give them a call in case it's worthy to try. We're all looking forward to it, hopefully i can provide some insight on that whole boogie situation you're talking bout

19. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Dude! 22nd thru the 27th here. It would be too funny for us both to travel 3k miles and end up on the same beach.

I splurged on the Airbnb since we're not getting a car, but if I had a small crew of guys to split the cost I would get one for sure. The only drawback of the hummer is going to be parking. Last time I was there I had an Altima and was parallel parking it everywhere we went.