who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Managed 2 sessions yesterday with 9 hours of work between. Been surfing a lot the past couple weeks but working a ton too. Should have some swell for the holiday weekend, just need to decide which of my secret spots to hunker down at.

Manik and antoine like this.
  2. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I know it's cruel. Baking hot outside, and water temps in the upper 40's making a dip in the ocean feel like a December penguin plunge.

Manik likes this.

3. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Water here hit 82.7 Wednesday. Before this year I never saw 82. Every year the max creeps up by a fraction of a degree.

I always look forward to storm season... then can't wait for it to be over.

antoine likes this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Delaware has been getting the goods this week, water temps (75ish) air temps (tropical) swell from the south, sandbar groomed to perfection from the south winds and waves lately. Surfed pretty much every day, but the standouts were:

Tuesday...small but just perfect shape and nobody really on it midday:
    6-29-2021d.jpg

Friday...rainy glassy, more power, and kind of mellow for a holiday weekend:
    7-2-2021a.jpg

headhigh, Manik and Betty like this.
  5. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Ahhh! That top wave is always my favorite type. I always enjoy your photos Mitchell.

6. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    What a fun day, I really can't remember the last time I had such a fun sesh on the 4th. Went out just past dead low for about 2 and a half hours. No wind, clean, light crowd, perfect size, chest to head. Some great rides today. One standout was a solid peak, nice size, got hung up but kept paddling my ass off, felt it go just slightly, popped up right on the foam ball, way up on my board, dropped in with a cheater 5 right into the clean section with lots of size and go go go, leaning back with 5 piggies hanging tough, right in the pocket.
    My last one was fun as hell too, waiterd for a big one, and it came... sick drop, hard bottom turn, and all open wall in front of me.
    Happy 4th everyone, don't forget it's not all BBQ's and beer, it's also giving a big middle finger to the Brits!( and I have a lot of English friends, but today they hate me and my rants, ha ha)!!

7. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    that 4th swell was amazing. Waist hi long lines. Went to 3rd W on Folly to surf with several of the folly gals early. It was pretty much a longboard, but a fat fish would've worked. After that hour, biked it back (been using a kayak carrier to transport LB, car broke down over the wknd...always happens on holiday wknds) to the house to grab a cooler, umbrella, chair, etc. Convinced a buddy with his fam to come out to 3rd W, so trekked it back and had several other surf fams hang wit us. The break was just past all the obstacles in the water, so there wasn't too many close calls gratefully. It kept waist hi thru lo tide, a rarity, and pretty much surfed, drank miller lites till salute to shore, which is a flyover around 2pm. Didn't grill out, didn't make peach cobbler which was my goal this wknd, but the surf was incredible and has been still going. Surfed most of the wknd on the LB. Elsa coming by midweek for us here

Betty and Manik like this.
  8. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    That's good stuff! Cept for the car thing

Betty likes this.
  9. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    We've had water in the 80s a few times over the years here in New Jersey.

11. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Been surfing every day since last Thursday. Saturday the 3rd was the standout day around here. Managed to get some all weekend with minimal tourist intrusion. I'm exhausted.

UnfurleD, Manik and antoine like this.
  12. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey What's Happening?
    Been a while, cool to see yous keeping the stories going.

I took a break from surfing the winter to rest tweaked shoulders after that blitz of fall swells. I know I wrenched them good last September. I had thought I dry docked then but looking back at my posts shows no stopping till mid November! No wonder I was so banged up. Couldn't lift my shoulders past 3 and 9 o'clock. It wasn't easy taking a break. Couldn't look at the ocean or my gear let alone post on a surfing site.

Started up again about mid March, using the LB in small weak conditions and working my way up. I kept on the LB. Short sessions and rest days even if the surf was still good the next day. It's hard taking her easy especially when it started to actually feel like I was surfing. Fishing helped and as I fished more I started catching more regular which got me fishing more. Funny how that works. Been fishing the flats for fluke the last month or so. Minimal luck there, but the blues and robins were about and made it fun. Good eating too (Robin tacos, and blue fish ceviche. It was good! shut up). Anyway, last week I found a school of cocktails and went at em. a 7ft medium heavy rod and a mid sized real should handle it. Got about a half dozen 2 to 3lb. fish. The last hook up felt different right away. Landed a good 30 incher. Maybe 10 pounds. A heck of a fight and now my reel ain't right. It's OK. It's caught fish since. But there's a warble. like a gear is warped. That's how my shoulders feel. Just a little warped.

Started riding short boards again when no ones around. Thrusters in beach break. Duck diving muscles need work. My timing off the drop was poop. kept getting caught behind and couldn't catch up. When diving got a little better I increased board size a little.

This weekend I took a few hikes with a keel finned fish and found the same peak to myself for three days straight. Chest high every day. Some waves were a bumpy ride. Some rides were buttery. The fish handled all comers. Ran fast through the sections it had to and got to carve a few in the pocket. Took my time paddling back out. Sat and let a few go before going again. Took a break and hydrated. Got couple of hours in the water each time and i gotta say, I feel good.

glad to be back. I'll post more.
    PJ

UnfurleD, antoine, smitty517 and 3 others like this.
  13. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Hey PJ, glad you're back my man! Since medical advise is an important part of this here surfing forume, I want to recommend that you have a professional (doctor) look at your shoulders if you can. My wife made me a PT consultation appointment after my hurt shoulders were keeping me (and her) up at night. Turns out that I had a weak muscle in my rotator cuff that was causing me to overcompensate. After 2, 1 hour sessions I was almost pain free, standing up straighter, and feeling stronger. By the time I was done with the therapy, which was 6 sessions, I felt like a new person. I have a bunch of stretches and exercises to do if it starts hurting again. Fought with the pain for 10 years and fixed it in a few weeks.

antoine, Manik and Carson like this.
  14. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Nice to see you back PJ, glad to hear you are healing up and getting wet again. HH might be onto something...if my shoulders get bad again I might take his advice. If I surf more than 2 days in a row I usually need to give them a break.
    I think I posted before about blue fish, my buddy bleeds them right away, slices it super thin for sashimi and it's pretty damn good. He's a chef and likes to use "junk" fish, makes killer meals out of what most people throw away or release.
    At one time lobster was considered junk.

antoine and headhigh like this.
  15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sea Robin is delicious. You just need to catch them big enough to get a decent fillet out of 'em.

Buddy gave me some cocktail blue fillets on Saturday. Smoked them on the grill with some apple wood and made a killer pate for the 4th. But yea... bluefish is what I grew up on and today it's still my favorite eating fish.

Manik, antoine and headhigh like this.
  16. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Take your reel apart and lube it up but also understand that all modern fishing gear is made to break. None of it is anything like the quality of say 10 years ago. If its more than 5 years old I bet its just corroded gears that seized up from the pressure and you should just send it back to Shimano or wherever and hope they replace it and meanwhile buy a replacement that way you have 2.

Any fish that eats a lot of bunker is going to have a funky taste. That's why Bluefish and Stripers taste better when they're small, before they get big enough to start eating bunker.

Surfed for 3 hours Friday morning and same Sunday.

17. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All you guys ain't wrong. Medical, fish and reel advice taken.

Plan on a slew of Dr visits. Shoulder, teeth, eye, and skin just procrastinating.

Today I got my 1st hair cut in a year and a half. Kept my whole head at # 1 bald during the pandemic. Looked like a dogs tennis ball. Speaking of I got one of those while away from swell info. Pretty little thing from the Rio Grande.

As for fishing. Bleeding fish right away is my new thing. My rule of taking something home is only if I'm eating it that day. Couple of weeks ago I surfed all morning in wist high glass perfect LB waves. Was going to round up the family and take them back but my special lady called and said everyone was busy. So I stayed and walked over to a seawall with a good fish stick.9 '0 with a 704 using a heavy hopkins spoon and a teaser for mid day blues. Hooked up 1st cast and its all weight. 1st thought was "This is a Bass and it's a keeper. I going to make ceviche with it and invite the neighbors for margaritas.". My 2nd thought was "squash that dummy the job ain't done". Got it close and saw a big blue and then another. One on the spoon, one on the teaser. Got it in and bled them in a tide pool (while a family looked in horror) and ran home to fillet. So much meat went into the juice. We had extra and made fish cakes later that week. Big party.

And Dave. Last fall and this spring I fished a ton. Man you are right I tweaked a lot of newer gear. Surf fishing takes a toll but that 704 and a 105 still goes strong. I use Penn everything. Got a repair guy near me that refurbishes reels at a good price.

Was looking at videos and these dudes use Van Stals Those suckers are 5 to 800 beans! F that noise unless I get paid to fish.

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A friend of mine around the corner picked up a Van Staal a few years back. I believe they are the only reel company making reasonably rugged gear at all anymore. But even their components are made in China. Just better machining, and better quality control at the assembly line.

Manik likes this.
  19. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Bergals are another trash fish that is deliscious. Scale them, gut them and cook them whole.

Manik likes this.
  20. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Got out today, small, nothing special for the most part but once in a while a fun one came through, enough to keep me interested for longer than I expected. Maybe out for a little over three hours, my face is the color I can only call angry red. But wearing a wetsuit the rest of me is pretty pale (except for my hands).
    Jeez, I look goofy. Time to trunk it a few sessions.
    Went to pick up a pizza.. I put on long black socks pulled all the way up with sandals (jesus cruisers) and a Hawaiian shirt buttoned down to show off the white chest. Rockin that touron style, yes sir!