Shark Encounters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Jan 18, 2018.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    So I'm surfing the the 4th of July this year. Beach is packed. Lineup is getting crowded.

I catch a wave into the shallows and a dude who looks like this is his first exposure to the sun in a while, surfboard under arm, says to me as he's getting into the water, "hey man, have you ever seen any sharks out here?".

I tell him, "not yet today".

Surprisingly he still paddled out haha.

antoine, Betty and Manik like this.
  2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    There was an annual shark fishing tournament out of Mass. that was canceled due to pressure from Hollywood, there was/is some shark documentary being made and the tournament was going to be focused on as a point being made on the cruelty to sharks. I think Eli Roth and Leonardo DeCaprio were involved.
    In other shark news, Poopies, the newest member of jackass got bit by a shark doing a jackass/ discovery channel shark week episode. Doesn't sound bad but I saw an interview with Tony Hawk and it was bad, easily almost lost his hand.

Notaseal and Betty like this.

3. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    We used to scare away the newbies or there was a slick non surfer guy obviously from Miami, planning to swim (the swimmers can be a pain ) . We would casually mention the sharks, and which friends got nipped.

It kept the number of surfers down in the ocean, as they usually got out an left if they even got in.

But, this past year, my crew said our home break has become overrunned by tons of aggressive surfers from Miami. Such a shame…

Notaseal, Manik and headhigh like this.
  4. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Had my first shark attack while spearfishing. Hope that shark's ok. IMG_20220210222417.JPG

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    CJsurf likes this.
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tell the story, brother! What happened?

6. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
    Ok thanks, where to begin? Um ok, just got a 10' GATKU and it was first time spearfishing since a kid. Five of us dropped on the stern of some super old giant wreck at about 90'. Wasn't much left of the wreck except about 40' in-between the hull sides with some junk with 50' viability. Another dude and i each side of the hulls hunting with the chicks up in the middle all swimming towards bow when was alerted that we were being circled by two large bull sharks. When i say circled what i mean is that the sharks favorite game is to sneak up from behind. That's what they do, doesn't matter as long as we keep our eyes on 'em. SO WHAT!!! Anyhow, don't know why? We didn't have any fish, as far as i know there was no blood in the water. Then that other kook tried to chase the sharks away? WTF, one thing i know about bull sharks is that they have a temper, lots of testosterone, just don't wanna piss 'em off. And that's exactly what happend, he chased the sharks and pissed 'em off! Ok went like this. He chased the shark and it didn't leave, it swam in front and tried to circle back behind, i know better than to let that happen, keeping an eye on and it charged at full throttle, like a damn torpedo. Just sat and stared as it rams face/nose first right into the tip of my pole spear. I LOVE SHARKS, hope he's ok.

Manik likes this.
  7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'd have done the same thing. I'd never shoot at a shark, but I'd give him a defensive poke if I had to.

Notaseal likes this.
  8. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    WOW, that is nuts. Reminds me of the scene in The Beach with Leonardo except I like your ending better with the shark swimming away.

9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's fkn amazing, glad you're ok and love your outlook on the whole thing.

Notaseal likes this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Holy Sh!t dude, is your last name Flintstone? LOL

So... tell the story, man!

Notaseal likes this.
  11. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
  12. Notaseal

Apr 18, 2015
    I’ve been diving a lot. Spearfishing way offshore. 20 to 50 miles out, Florida and North Carolina and I’m not seeing many sharks. Making me think that they’re mostly in the surf zone.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A woman got seriously bit in the thigh yesterday in Rockaway, NY. Nearly lacerated her femoral artery.

14. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Stepped on a Northern Stargazer. Been there, done that.

15. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm just know reading @Notaseal story. That is just crazy. And @CJsurf stepped on a stargazer? Did you get stung and shocked?

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Bit.