surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Your headed to the Ack?? My old stomping grounds, have fun LB. Probably not much for swell the next couple of days but the fishing should be good.

2. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I got a good eating sized rockfish after work earlier in the week. This season has been strange for me. I've caught a ton of fish but nothing big. Lots of variety. 20210714_200902.jpg

Peajay4060, Zeroevol and Manik like this.

3. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Spent the week on a 9 mile long 150 ft deep lake. Rented a bass boat and toured the place. Land locked salmon and trout were so deep you have to basically fish like you were fluking. Same tackle and everything. Mostly spent time hitting the shallows for small mouth with ultra-lights and spinner baits. Caught pickerel for the 1st time. Lake life.

Zeroevol and Manik like this.
  4. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    At 1st glance it looked like it was in your toilet to me.
    Ready to get salty again. Took a short walk looking for fluke in the flats but came up with nothing. Fishing the micro gear with the kids all week got us all amped for the snapper derby.

smitty517 likes this.
  5. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Last post today.
    Took a pass on a surf but went to the back see if I could scare up a fluke. Last second decision to take my little girl paid out. Went to the piers to cast jigs with gulp. Stayed away from the pack because my daughter is 8 and just started casting. You can't be to sure where it will go. Flung it out before I had a rod in the water and put it right on a keeper! Her 1st. She is not going to sleep tonight.

Nice ride home. Watched the sun set from the top of the bridge. You guys seeing this red sun? It's crazy.

headhigh, Manik, smitty517 and 3 others like this.
  6. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I love pickerel, prehistoric looking bastards with those teeth, and they can get pretty big. I use to fish a small pond years ago, I had a small kids rod one day with a worm on a hook. The good spot at the pond was taken so I had to cast it over a bunch of grass growing out of the pond by the side. I just let it sit with a bobber for about an hour drinking beers and listening to a little transistor radio, I glanced over and the bobber was gone. It was so heavy at the other end I thought I snagged some grass or a cat tail, but then it moved. It took me a while, I found a small gap between the grass and was able to reel him in through there. It was a monster, at least 30 inches and I can't guess the weight. Must have lived in that pond for years. I should have released him but gave him to one of the other guys fishing there. He probably took it to the bait shop and got some kind of state record, lol.

Nothing like watching your kid score a nice fish PJ, I'm sure you were as excited as she was.

Peajay4060 and smitty517 like this.
  7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I was told it was environmentally smart to keep Pike and Pickerel because if they become too prevalent they'll wipe everything else out, not just other fish species, they'll pressure frogs, turtles, ducks, snakes, etc.

Manik and headhigh like this.
  8. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    I catch pickerel all the time in late winter/spring. Never keep them. Met a dude from Minnesota who said they eat them all the time up there. Siad they make some sort of fish stew with them. IDK. Seems like a lot of work.

Manik likes this.
  9. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Snappers are in. My girl and I slayed them Sunday. Still small but so fun with the kids. used a sabiki rig for multiple hook up. The girl used a popper. Going to get the neighborhood out for an all out derby and do a fish fry!

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Went down to my usual dive spot close to work on Monday, only to find 10... yes, TEN... rods in the sand, all of them wiggling with snapper blues. These guys where catching them one after another, chunking a few up for bait, and piling the rest up on the beach to take home. They were having a blast! I just sat and watched for 20 minutes, then left to go to another spot.

When I got there the visibility was great... about 10'... but the current was hellacious! Just could not stay in one spot, let along move around to dive. One other diver that was there literally got in and out. Smart. I, on the other hand, decided to just do a few loops. Walked up the beach, got in, drifted around the jetty with the current, got out on the other side and did it again. NO FISH. Either they were in deeper water to avoid the current, or just too much hunting pressure from the day before spooked them all off.

After a few loops and no fish, I made my way back to the first spot. The guys there were just packing up, so I jumped in. Visibility sucked. About 2'. Determined not to get skunked I dove anyway. I could hear tog munching on mussels, but couldn't see a thing. Dove for about a half hour hoping something would literally swim in front of my face. Caught a glimpse of one keeper tog bud didn't get off a decent shot and missed. Then, on my way out, I ran into a nice sized trigger. Stoned him with a head shot and went home feeling like it was the worst conditions I've ever dove in, but was luck enough to put at least something in the bag.

Dove the good spot yesterday, hoping for the clean water to still be there, but... not. Terrible viz at about 2'. What a difference a day makes! Dove for about a half hour in calm but dirty water and got nothing. Went home feeling defeated. I think I'll put the gear away for a few days until the weather pattern changes and the water starts to clean up.

Manik, smitty517 and headhigh like this.
  11. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Man, this reminds me of growing up on the Chesapeake in Maryland. My folks had a pier in front of their house and they let all the retirees around us fish off of it. I learned how to fish from them and we caught hundreds, maybe thousands, of fish off that dock.

My next-door neighbor, Mr. Carter, would save up his catch for a few weeks in the summer and throw a big fish fry for the neighborhood. He made South Carolina style cole-slaw, with a mustardy vinegar base that I'm still trying to replicate, and all the fried fish filets and "hillbilly style" fried white perch you could eat.

Hillbilly style were the fish too small to filet. We just scaled em, cut the head off, and removed the guts, so you had to pull the dorsal and the ribs out as you ate it. I even ate the crispy fried tails. I was a lucky kid.

Manik, smitty517, antoine and 2 others like this.
  12. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    that's what growing should be like man. right on

headhigh likes this.
  13. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
  14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope. never ever would i follow Pennywise for anything even fishing gear. Well maybe if it was a Van Staal.....

smitty517 likes this.
  15. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    been crushing snapper on ultralights in the canals. using poppers and little tins. family fun. crabbing too.

Ocean is teeming with sharks and I've no interest in that. Sticking to the back side of the barriers and the bay. Was targeting fluke bouncing bucktails with soft plastic teasers. More robins than anything but was coming up without the tail of the plastic a lot. Switched to metals( for economic reasons) and found it was cocktail sized blues. Weird for this time of year as you see them way out. Maybe the sharks are keeping them hemmed in?

Water is loaded with salp. Gums up the guides of the rod awful.

Manik and headhigh like this.
  16. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    I've been hitting the bay for rockfish. Swim baits and top water. Did go tuna fishing a couple weeks ago. Caught a bunch of medium sized yellow fin and some peanut mahi. Sharks, whales and all kinds of sea life out there. One white marlin came in the spread but he no bitey

Peajay4060, Manik and headhigh like this.
  17. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Monday dove Block Island. Was misty, cloudy, bad viz, and a big pile of seals resting on the beach 1000 yards from where we were diving. The sharks are there for the same reason we were. Filled the box with Bass, Tog, Trigs, BSB, Fluke, Porgy...even speared a giant Skate.

Peajay4060, Manik and LBCrew like this.
  18. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    loaded up with snapper and sea robin and a few Fluke for a fish fry. Was on the beach at dawn this morning. Even that early it was too hot. split and spent the rest of my morning drinking coffee and buying stuff at the bait&tackle.

smitty517 likes this.
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Dove my local in good viz... saw a ton of short fluke and schoolie bass. Some croakers hanging out, too. Didn't shoot anything... but enjoyed the warm water and views.

20. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013