surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    From earlier this week.
    IMG_3218.JPG

smitty517, Manik and antoine like this.
  2. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Nice LB!! Found a big hen today on the way to check the surf! Scored a ton of honey mushrooms off some ones lawn last week, my first time trying them, and my first mushrooms not growing on a tree. My buddy loves them, took me along.
    I have found a ton of chickens this year, but most were just past their prime, getting a little woody. Those look awesome.

3. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
  4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Picked up a few more hens, chickens, a puffball, some honeys, and this lion's main. I think honey mushrooms could be my favorite of all the "common" species. Lion's Mane.png

Manik likes this.
  5. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Paul Stamets believes Lions Mane is a super shroom, stops cognitive degeneration, Alzheimers, all kinds of stuff. Never found any in the wild but I should start taking supplements.
    Never thought you could eat puffballs, my buddy loves those too, says you could slice, marinate, and grill the big ones. Yeah, I love those honeys too, sautéed mine in olive oil with garden tomatoes and garlic, threw in spaghetti and mixed it all up, simple and awesome.

antoine and LBCrew like this.
  6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    My favorite way to eat them is sautéed with shallots, sherry, cream and thyme, and served over crostini or grilled polenta.

Manik likes this.
  7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Went flat here. Went for a walk with the surf rod during a blustery wind against the tide mid day fish. Got into it with a school of shad. They're slippery.

working to get out there at dusk into dark tonight. Got a feeling.

Manik likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You know what they say about shad... smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Flat water yesterday... went down to the beach for a dive but the wind was so hard offshore the shoreline was filled with murky, sandy water out to about 200 yards. I passed.
    This morning the water's flat again, and the wind back off a bit, so I'll try to give it a go again this afternoon. Water's looking a little bluer today, so it could be doable.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Water was spectacularly clear yesterday... and flat as a lake. Perfect Jerzy diving conditions. Put a 17" blackfish on the stringer within the first 10 minutes, then hunted for stripers. Only saw a half dozen or so, and only one was marginally legal with a bonus tag. Didn't take it. But I stayed in the water for over two more hours, just enjoying the pristine conditions. Came across a MONSTER tog... thing was huge. But I already had a nice fish one in the bag, so we just smiled at each other and kept swimming.

Manik and antoine like this.
  10. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Funny how those west winds that flatten out or clean up you will junk up everything on my island. Another early morning fish walk today. Watched the moon set and the sun rise. Not a touch and didn't see anybody else pulling something out of the water, but we gotta be danger close to the run. I feel it.

Speaking of danger close, in the distance I saw a boat very close to shore and was thinking they must be on fish. the closer I got and with 1st light I saw it was a sail boat stuck on a bar getting pounded. Crew on shore in foul weather gear all glum and sea tow out side the surf zone just sitting. Then a dude jumps from the boat with wet suit, fins, and a rope. He gets swept down the beach and comes to shore way down the line hauling the rope that was tied to the boat. I think he tried to swim it to sea tow. As he was walking it back it hung up on something out there so now there was about 150 yards of rope swirling around the fishing grounds. I hooked it once, said F this and went home.

Still was a heck of a morning. Might switch to black fishing for a bit.

headhigh and Manik like this.
  11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    What a nightmare, Peajay! That's a crazy scene...

Another day of perfect diving conditions, with dead flat water and 25' viz. Pulled up to one of my go-to spots after work and saw two guys getting geared up.

"Three's a crowd."

Turned around and went to a new spot I've never dove, and have never seen anybody dive. It's a small nub of a jetty with submerged rocks that extend out only about 30 meters. It was low to incoming tide, so it was only about 10-12' deep at the time. Took a slow swim out over the rocks and saw a lot of fish, but they all looked short. So I kept going and swam out another 200 meters or so... out to about 20' depth... and could still clearly see the bottom! Lotta skates, but no bass cruising by or hanging on the bottom. Turned around and headed back to the rocks.

Ended up hunting the rocks and edges of the jetty for a solid hour and a half, spending most of the time chasing one big blackfish from one hole to the next. It was really fun, though... just enjoying the warm, clear water and practicing my relaxation and breath holds, and fine-tuning my hunting techniques. Which actually paid off.

I started getting into that zen-like state... super relaxed, but super focused at the same time. Holding my breath became meditative... just disappearing into the moment... forgetting that I was even holding my breath. Minutes would go by unnoticed as time slipped away, while my senses sharpened... vision acute and everything bright and clear... the clicking sounds of shifting sand and feeding fish seemed amplified underwater... pulsing sounds of fins beating and fish darting perceptible in my state hyperfocused awareness. Locked in between rocks... only my eyes move.

Then... the sight of a white chin appears. A large, black head emerges from a dark, deep hole. The fish wonders if I'm still there... he hasn't felt me move or heard me breathe for minutes. From where I'm positioned I don't even need to aim... I squeeze the trigger. A headshot stones the fish... in one side of the head and out the eye on the opposite side. A clean kill. I rise. Exhale. A few deep recovery breaths and oxygen rich blood starts to feed my limbs once again... they've been shut off temporarily. I look down and reel in my catch... hand over hand... pulling it to me.

Gotcha. Now you're Togos. (Tog fish tacos)

Manik, headhigh, antoine and 2 others like this.
  12. cansever

cansever New Member

Nov 4, 2021
    how to register a fishing license vessel.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  13. cansever

cansever New Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Do you need a fishing reel while surfing?

14. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    B8905274-976C-4814-942F-7CACD56EE7CB.jpeg 10ft Hammer

15. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Outside Asbury , 1/2mile, my fishing friends know I paddle daily if flat . They love to torture me with these shots, esp the shot with AP in the background .

16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Sick story.

17. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Been fishing a bunch. Not catching a bunch. Took a break from surf fishing and went looking for blackfish. Just driving around and hiking around to bridges rocks and docks. I had some success putting green crabs on jigs, mostly on pilings by bridges. It's like each piling has a couple of good fish. Once you catch one or two, move on. Man I forgot how fun blackfishing is. A constant bite and a good fight. Tasty too. I made fish cakes.

Started to get bass in the surf this week but nothing like I saw this time last year. Yet I keep trying like a fool.

Hoping to fish and surf this weekend. I might wear a hood. It's cold outside.

LBCrew, antoine and Manik like this.
  18. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
  19. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Strange season for jetty fishing , stripers were absent from the bunker pods on the beach , Shad must be in our lake which had them only eating shad lures at a jetty . Thats 1 jetty only where the lake , the largest brackish lake in NJ , empties in the ocean . Super moon tides backfill into the lake and large swells will push the ocean thru the flume . The fish were large 48 plus but they looked like they were strung out on meth , skinny . I beat the chit out these 2 or they would have lived for another day . Good color but I am picky about what I keep . Sores , lice , or bleached color fish are returned . The bleach comment are fish coming from shallow like the Chessy as a deep water fish are vivid in color . We get to see a variety up front from deep water , local bays , and the Chessy .

20. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice dude!

Been picking up fish off the beach but it's been weirdly slow. When I do hook up I'm surprise. Usually if i'm lucky enough to find em there is more around but it has been one and done.

Was on it at 1st light this morning. Tide just starting to move out, light wind off my back with no swell in the water. Started out with a top water but didn't feel it so switched to a swimmer and felt dead weight right away. Was thinking what the heck could I have snagged on when the snagged item started moving away. Pulled in a big dogfish tail wrapped. Happy to see life and figuring it must be feeding on something I cast back into the same spot and hook up another. And another. I keep casting right and left to see if there is something else in the mix and low and behold a different kind of hit. Bass! Yay! Land it and keep going but nothing. Move a bit following keeping with a rip, switched to tins as the sun comes up and the tide pulls out. Nothing. Find a hole, try a few different options with no hits. Switch to the tried and true shad rap that started this thread. It cast nice and far cause it's heavy and small and after on turn of the real another big dog. I have never had dog fish hit lures. Then I get it. It's a frigging shark! Shark attack vibration. Mother nature is too cool. Called it quits cause why hurt these things. Enjoyed a coffee then no rushed back home for work listened to a good tune while driving over the bay.

It was a good morning. Felt good to catch a few fish regardless of what they were. Fall has finally come. Suns out, the leaves have changed and the air has that good crispy feel. Nice day for some longboarding if there were waves. But hey hey fishermen.