surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yup... We've not had a good viz day since they started really moving... still waiting for the water to clear up after the last round of swells. Before that we had an amazing run of good viz days, with tons of blackfish just there for the taking. But no keeper-sized bass. Now they're here, but the water's been sh!t brown. Took all my dive gear down to the beach yesterday (again) hoping the west wind would have made it at least doable... but nope. less than 2' viz. I was feeling really stupid not to have brought my hook and line gear.

2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Went down to catch incoming at dusk. It was cold out and found good conditions with the wind more or less at my back. Scoped out a bar with a deep trench at dead low and walked it to where the water in trench ran back to sea. I was gonna stand there and throw until 1 hr past dark. Threw everything out there with a teaser without any joy. Tons of weed. Decided to throw a sinker and add a trailer on the teaser and just leave it out there bobbing around. Still nothing.

Dusk was coming and the tide was filling in. A fella took a position like ten yards away on the other side of the rip. We had the whole beach there were other rips he could find but he gotta park on mine? Then he nabbed a schoolie right away. I was furious. I switched to a darter as the tide filled in and it got darker. Didn't take the trailer off the teaser out of laziness. Just casted and casted over this rip and then BOOM! Tight line and a singing drag. I thought it wasn't set right cause of how much line was going out. Tightened it a little with no effect. It dawned on me that this was a good fish on. I settled down to manage the fight with the give and take. Came at me and jumped trying to shake the hook a few times then it would zing out again. Finally, It tired and I was able to beach it on a wave. When the water subsided I couldn't drag it at all. walked to it and found it was teaser hooked! Needless to say I'll be using bucktail con trailer for a bit. I cropped the pic cause I don't want my mug out there. big one.jpg

Funny thing is that I was tempted to switch to light gear as the fish haven't been big enough for what I'd been using. I stayed with a 9' heavier rod and used a 6000 sized reel just for cast length. And that dude was friggin cool. Walked up to me and gave me an atta boy and everything. Goofed on how he had to fish the same hole cause he knew it was a good one. And he didn't cast on me the whole fight. A gentleman.

You just never know. It's amazing to me that something like this would even hang around so close to shore. I had all but quit on this season. I know it wasn't like last year but I had some fish and felt good. Now I can't wait to get back out!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021

3. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Excellent Peajay !

Peajay4060 likes this.
  4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Damn right!

Peajay4060 likes this.
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Good fish, PJ.

I dove my favorite rocks the other day... about 6' viz, which is OK, but I wouldn't call it "good." Not a fisherman on the beach, and all the parking lots were relatively empty. I'm like, hmm... that's not a good sign. Geared up and dove for an hour and didn't see a single bass, nor a single keeper sized tog. Saw two shorts, but no keepers. So weird. The whole coast of Monmouth County was exploding with fish just days prior. You never know until you go...

Looks like things are setting up for a decent run of good viz over the upcoming long weekend. We'll see....

6. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Water temp finally took a hit , felt like low 50s this am LB . Peajay old is a relative term , stay in shape and count your blessings , surf forever . I wager I have 20 on ya . Happy Thanksgiving !

Peajay4060 and Manik like this.
  7. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    That is a friggin cow PJ!! Great story to go with the pic.

LB, you have me wanting to try spearfishing so bad. It is a big deal in my town, I always see people out at Black Point, Hazard Rock, Cronins, and the lighthouse. Often times they are coming up with PJ size bass, bigguns. I dove back in the day and snorkeled quite a bit but it has been decades, literally, and my comfort zone underwater is gone.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I spearfished as a kid around Cape May County a handful of times, but never really got into it until about 6 years ago when I was given a gun by my brother-in-law. He got a shoulder injury and can no longer load that size gun... so he bought a shorter one and gave the longer one to me. I've been pretty into since then, and have grown in my comfort level and technical ability tremendously over the past 5 years. I'm going to be 58 years old in the spring, so I see it as a lifetime sport, pretty much like surfing - I'll do it... until I can't. Like surfing, I'm a self-taught spearfisher. I never took surfing class... and never took a freediving class. I learned myself, over time... and have made some mistakes, too. "School of hard knocks" I guess you could say. You know my ruptured eardrum story... So if you do decide to get into it, definitely take a class!

Surfing and spearfishing have a lot of things in common... some obvious, some not so obvious. From a bigger perspective, spearfishing gives you the same sense of connectedness to the natural world as surfing. It lets you get away from the world for a few hours and just live in the moment, only caring abut what's right in front of you. Gives you the chance to focus your thoughts and awareness... and your physical body... on something so intensely that everything else disappears. As surfers, we can all relate to that. We see surfing as FUN... and exiting... and challenging... and spiritual... all at the same time. It's a source of physical and emotional release, and at the same time a source of peace and an opportunity for introspection.

I always tell people, surfing and spearfishing are not like golf. You can't say, "I think I'll go surfing/diving at 7am on Sunday, 19 December." You can't just put surfing on your calendar like a tee time. You have to be able to go when it's good, and find something else to do when it's not. Ultimately the ocean decides.

sisurfdogg and headhigh like this.
  9. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks Guys!
    Really enjoy surf fishing for all the same reasons I love surfing and the beach in general. Never really got into it as I've done this past year. All due to an injury last fall that kept me out of the water. I've had marginal success which kept me interested and learning. I also invested some money into it which helps. That said, gotta say it felt good to bag that one. Like LB said they are all related. picking good spots to fish on a beach is easier when you know what to look for a good wave.

Also Like LB pointed out good surfing takes dedication. As I'm finding out so does surf fishing. You gotta be there. I wasn't successful because fishing was an after thought to surfing. Feel like I'm finding a balance.

but now I want a kayak and a spear gun. and what the heck a hydrofoil. Dear Santa

10. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Haha.
    when I say old, I mean old enough to not GAF. the youth seem to care about that sort of thing. Not me. Shiver away beetches!

headhigh likes this.
  11. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    you could put a cigarette butt on a 6/0 circle hook and catch a keeper bass in the surf this past week

12. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    A. Don't tighten the drag, use good line and play it or lose it.

B. I've been spearfishing my whole life for sport, just freediving, no tanks. Just slings, no guns. Gives the fishies a chance and makes it a real challenge. Take a deep breath, hide behind some rocks along a jetty and wait for a nice one to swim by and zap! Usually they glance off at at an angle but once in a while a nice snapper, grouper or snook can be banged. Triggerfish are tasty. Snook are illegal to spear and taste best undersized and out of season.

C. I went freediving one summer night with a five pronged tip and a light in the inlet and banged a bunch of little Spanish lobsters over the rocks (no size or season limitations back then). Great over pasta! Got the holy crapoli scared out of me by the big shadows swimming past just outside of the beam, had to control my heartbeat to not become a target. Never again. I know a good fish market if I'm that desperate. Life is goode!

LBCrew likes this.
  13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I just had oral surgery yesterday, so my doctor says no diving for a couple of weeks. Bummer. I'll probably wrap it up until spring at this point.

Hook and lined it this morning at first light... skunked. I'll give it another go at dusk.

14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    @LBCrew, I figured they'd be on your doorstep. Did you see anybody hook one?

Since that big one, the fish had been on. Been on it daily, taking a few everyday. All low 20" schoolies. Last Sunday didn't see a fish for hrs then just before I quit hooked up with another good one at the top of the slot. All fish except maybe two were teaser hooked. Whatever I'm throwing weather bucktail or darter is just a vessel to cast out the fly.

Between those 2 fish taken, I figure I have about 8 dinners for my family. Got 1 good fish this morning that was just short. Feeling they're on the way out but with the new moon and the incoming lining up with dawn and dusk I'm still feeling it. Happy with what I got but one more would keep us in fish till spring.

Tight lines gentlemen

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    smitty517 and headhigh like this.
  15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Got great action last night, right around sunset. Birds were moving in and out so prospects looked good when I got down to the beach. Threw a pencil popper for about 10-15 minutes with no results, so I switched to a big, fat hopkins with a red and white bucktail on a single hook. Which was easier to cast with the north-northwest wind. On about my 4th cast I got a short... 22". Released it. then I moved a bit further south and hooked up again... 20". Released it. Moved a little further south and casted out over the outer bar.. nothing. But the last 15 or 20 yards... BAM! A big, fat 30-incher. Made a few more casts at the same spot and again... SLAM! another 27" fish just feet from the waterline. So... that was it for me. I don't fish catch-and-release for "sport"... although I have no problem with folks who do.

Bottom line... fast and furious action in suds. Took home a 30" keeper, and another 27" fish with my bonus tag. Limited out in 45 minutes. Gave the smaller fish to a buddy who got skunked earlier in the afternoon.
    IMG_3359.JPG

16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
  17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
  18. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    NICE! 2 good looking fish. Late run this year.

Different rules for yous guys in Jersey. NY keeping fish season ends 12/15. I don't do the just catch and release either so I've hung it up. The drag back, getting it home, cleaning and cooking is all part of fishing. The Catch and release crowd misses out on that and in my opinion they kill more fish than me. I'll fish till I get something to bring home so if the limit is one per customer and I catch one in the slot that's it for me. And with fish in the fridge I'll fish less. The catch and release crowd just don't stop and no matter if you crush barbs, use circle hooks for bait, trade trebles for singles and practice a good release technique a few fish will just die and the bigger they are the more likely they'll drown.

Was at the fish market for the Christmas fish feast. Whole Stripers go for $20 an LB! you got like $500 of fish there. Merry Christmas!

19. cannonball-

cannonball- New Member

Dec 26, 2021
    i think the same thing

20. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Time to bring this one to the top.
    Been out a few times before anything opened looking for holdovers (no luck), walking for spot potential and checking my gear. Finally found bass after a week after opening day but was ill equipped and watched a couple dudes get a few. Went back next morning same tide and broke the ice with a just short fatty. Went again this morning and picked up 4 more with the last just in the slot. Fish for dinner tonight. Baked with breadcrumbs, spinach and a you know it must have a mushroom risotto.
    Going to wash it down with an other half double dry Simcoe and Chroma hopped IPA.

I remember how yous guys like mushrooms,risotto and quiches. And fine wines and beers. And fish.

Who else been fishing?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    headhigh, antoine and LBCrew like this.