surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    No bass yet this spring, but it's turning the corner. Blackfish closes in a few days... so I'm after them on Tuesday. Tide, wind and swell look doable. Just gotta hope we get decent viz. Asking for my limit might be asking for too much... but it sure would be nice to bring home fish for the freezer.

Submitted my bonus tag application today. That kicks in 15 May so it opens up the bag a bit wider.

antoine and Peajay4060 like this.
  2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No surf to be had so I've been fishing. Having a great spring. Freezer getting stocked with bass. Took 2 home already this week. If this flat spell continues I'll hit the bays looking for weakfish and I hear of fluke are around too.

Anyway to stay salted....

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Zeroevol likes this.

3. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I've been fishing at my house for the past couple weeks whenever it looks fishy. Not the best place to fish but its certainly the easiest place to get a line wet.

Not much luck yet this year, had a little baby bite Saturday night on a bottom rig, nothing wanting my swim baits yet either... Might have to pull the kayak out and venture around a little more to find them fishus.

Starting to think I need to try throwing out some different lures/baits. Any pointers on getting striper/puppy drum/speckled trout in the shallows would be hugely appreciated.

No problem finding spot and croaker in the summer with fish-bites though... which is also about the time cownose rays become a nuisance...

Here is a google earth image of my fishing grounds. This spot is about 5 miles from where the river dumps into the Chesapeake Bay, and about 30 miles from where the bay dumps into the Atlantic. Seems like a really fishy spot without much pressure, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong...

upload_2022-5-4_11-11-37.png

Zeroevol likes this.
  4. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Looks fishy to me. Best bet is to look for bait birds etc and match the hatch. In the back bay try throwing a casting egg with a real light buck tail on a 3 ft leader. Sometimes by itself, sometimes with a gulp bait on it. Cast up current, keep in contact with the egg and let it work it way with the current. The egg will bob the buck tail around and if something is there it would hit it.

Start with small presentations to see what's around.

My 2 cents

The Lonesome Tractor likes this.
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I would sometimes get Specks in Cape May in the summer on plastics with a lead jig head. Try to find shrimp look-alikes or small paddle tails and bounce them off the bottom. Or if you want... live shrimp on a bobber. But we'd pick up a few every year while fluking, even though they weren't supposed to be there.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  6. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Fish love shrimp! Google D.O.A deadly combo. It's a rubber shrimp on a snapper popper. You can do that with live shrimp or Gulp! Shrimp. Gulp! stuff is crazy the minnow and worms work too. Look for nuclear chicken color. Don't know why but fish dig it.

7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    If this wind would stop I'd really like to stock up on some white perch. Went last weekend but the water was too muddy for even catfish.......

8. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey as the surf has been down I'm still keeping to an on the beach before dawn attitude and go almost everyday. Continue to catch with a couple of days where it was Bass after Bass at 1st light on plugs or a teaser before the big blow.

Had a skunk streak during and after the storm but this week started to get them again. Some Bass with one in the slot and some long blues at an inlet on bucktails. I say long cause they were skinny. Fished into a heavy wind and a full moon ripping tide so used a fast action stiffer rod with a heavy 8500 to horse fish in against the rip. Still have some Uncle Josh trailers. That 8500 is no joke. Heavy duty for sure.

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Viz has been bad to horrible the past few days. Best day since the storm was about 3-4'. But they're still hooking bass in the 30-50 lb range in the bays and rivers!

Stopped for an old head at a crosswalk this morning on my way to work... he had a perfect "cocktail" blue in one hand, rod and reel in the other. People laugh at me when I say it, but a freshly caught bluefish, from snapper size up to about 3lbs, is about the best eating fish you'll ever have. Moist, meaty, and full of flavor. In fact... the little snappers make an excellent breakfast of fish and grits. A splash of hotsauce and a side of fruit. Yea, baby!

Peajay4060 likes this.
  10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The best fish I have ever tasted was a 13 pound bluefish that a friend had prepared in a smoker. It was absolutely unbelievable.

I took my kayak out last Sunday and fished for about an hour and got the skunk. Water was still muddy and the tide and wind were both going in the same direction so I was drifting 90 miles per hour and it was a real bitch fighting my way back up current to make the next drift.

11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    I got the skunk this morning but didn't try very hard. Ride was ripping into low and I just couldn't get a bucktail working how I like it. Went up to 3 oz but it still ripped across and there were guys around so I couldn't let it swing too wide. Plus it was low tide and the beach was drained out.
    Saw an osprey pull a bunker out and the dolphin were out. Heck of a morning so I surfed some and while out I saw swirls and such. Just too far from shore. Was thinking it's time to change up tactics or a new spot or both. But where ever I go I'll be thinking about what is going on where I've been. It's a primo surf and fish spot for me. Maybe just switch to dusk instead.

I like blues too. Only reason I didn't bring the any home when I caught the other day was I like to eat em same day. Usually a weekend works for me. This time of year any size will do even the gorillas. They not as gamey in spring. Breaded and fried in a old black frying pan for me. Great sandwich fair.

Water quality got good up here LB. Maybe it will make its way to you.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  12. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Haven't posted in a while but I invested in a pedal kayak and have been on it several times since. Nothing huge to report but I did catch and 17 inch hickory shad (personal best by far). I thought it was a tarpon when it hit. We get a few week run of them each year. Really fun to catch. I cant seem to find keeper rockfish but catching plenty of schoolies.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  13. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Those friggin shad jump just like tarpon! Seems they've split from here though.

So I used Saturday for some fish recon in the bay to avoid the crowd. No luck but definitely potential. Rolled up to the inlet later and saw a few guys get some blues. I got nothing, got frustrated, went surfing, felt better, then went back with the rod, caught nothing and got frustrated again(lost my Hopkins too). Fishing and surfing are funny things. They are not hobbies. They are not recreation. They are Passions. Something that you live for, gives you joy, but can also drain you. You know it is draining you. yet you can't live without it. Missing waves destroys me. But seriously, I'm like "I can't do stuff there is fish in the water". There are not always waves but there is always fish in the ocean! I know this. Yet when I don't fish I'm dying inside.

So of course I went on Sunday morning too. Took my Daughter and we casted the back side of the inlet. I wanted her to get on a blue. She is about to be 9. She can cast man! I was nervous she might hook up to one! I was bouncing a bucktail with the rip and we walked down to the inlet while turning over horse shoe crabs. Wasn't catching but I told my girl this is big game fishing. We may skunk, but if we find the birds, we'll find them. If we can reach them we'll hook up and it will be a beast. At the tip of the inlet we found a few guys getting into cocktails and a few bass. Even a couple just in the slot. But it was mobbed in the good spot. We walked down a little further. I threw the bucktail as far as I could get it. Close to the seam in the rip. Bounced it twice and BAM! We were in business big time. Drag screaming. My little bird had no fear. Got right on the rod with me holding on to both rod and daughter. We worked together. If we got a yard it took two but after a long time we landed a 35" blue! A good dude filmed us and let us use his scale. I'm telling you if I didn't see the scale I would be telling you it was 20 lbs. It was 12. We got a bunch of pics and the vid. Bled the thing and dragged it back to the rig. Picked up the rest of the Fam and had a late breakfast on the beach. When we got home I filleted the beast, cut out all bad parts and soaked the meat in milk. Cut into big chunks and a flour, egg, breadcrumbs dredge to fry in a cast iron pan. It was so good with a few crisp beers. There still is so much. I had some for breakfast and lunch today. It's for dinner too and we'll have guests. I just didn't want to freeze it.

This is a long story. So of course I'm on the beach today at dawn. Cause maybe I have a problem. A hard north wind had me almost skip but I figured maybe a little wave to surf. Little was right so I took a walk to the inlet. Cast a few times with the wind to reach the seam in the rip without joy and then went to a spot and casted a few into the wind. Short casts though so tried to swing it into the rip and bounced around it. Felt the tickle and set the hook with the drag screaming again! My thinking always goes to "I don't have my drag set and need to tighten it". The 1st thought is never "Hey this may be a big one." But I know this reel and where the drag knob should be so I let this one scream. Walked it down a bit and turned it out of the rip and into calmer deeper water. After a bit of the back and forth I had a 35" bass on the beach. This was a 20 pounder. I try and practice a fish to the keeper philosophy so that was all folks and walked back easy. Dragging and feeling good. I'm getting pretty good with the fillet knife.

Of course I'll be back tomorrow but hey, this is kinda a good problem to have. Until I skunk again.....

tight lines.
    20220523_060124.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    CJsurf and smitty517 like this.
  14. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    No waves today but happy to say that there was no skunk today. if you fished you were catching. Absolute monster blues for the most part. Saw one Bass caught like I got yesterday. Same spot too. Caught about a dozen in an hour. Took a quick pic of the 1st one but was quick on the release. The Top of the but is 30" about. It was the biggest I caught today.

20220524_061259.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    smitty517 likes this.
  15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That's a gator!

Peajay4060 likes this.
  16. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    The fish crowd was nutty yesterday. Lots a blues of differing size pulled out. Found an uncrowded hole and plugged a couple demons out mid morning. One beast. Didn't keep as I had weekend plans and they don't freeze well.

Just changed the hooks out of a new plug. They were already rusting and one of the trebles on the tail hook was bent! Switched to bigger and stronger hooks.

I rinse my gear every time. Do you guys find hooks rust fast?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    If you don't rinse them, you betcha.Otherwise, they rust slow. Lol!

Peajay4060 likes this.
  18. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Vey good LB. Very good.

Blue Fish have been in thick here. Mostly around the 6 to 10lb class. I'm pulling a few out every time I go with one more bass right in the middle of the slot for the fridge. Been trying plugs cause the blues are taking their toll on bucktails but lost a few fish using them. Seems they just go to chop the tail and I'm getting a cheap hook set. They have been inhaling the bucktails but chopping the hair off.

I'm out most mornings but haven't seen too many bass which is the primary target. Going to try to switch up after this swell to dusk to evening. Or I just might target fluke. I was at the gym today and when the sweat came on I smelled like bluefish. Not complaining. But If I'm not planning on keeping them during the week cause they don't freeze well. Why not switch up targets and tactics Monday thru Thursday?

I did ake one home Saturday. We were having a garden party and serving Bass. It was a smaller fish and I made ceviche for an appetizer. Everyone that tried it liked it but some people just can't get passed fish not cooked by fire let alone blue fish cooked any way.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Shot a 20" fluke and a sheepshead yesterday and Françaised them up with pasta for dinner last night. I think fluke is so popular because it has no fish taste at all. Sheepshead, however... which are actually just a Porgy... have an excellent sweet and shellfish-like taste. Makes sense... their diet is mostly shellfish and crustaceans. If you get the opportunity, definitely take some home.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  20. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Not a bad idea. Could target the rocks for porgy and see if one comes around. Heard there in thick too. Only place I've seen sheepshead is Fla.