What's Your Next Surf Trip Going to Be?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Sep 30, 2016.

1. arneruby

arneruby New Member

Jun 21, 2022
    I want to try surfing in every country that has this entertainment. Between countries, it is especially fun to get there by train. Such trips are much more comfortable than by plane for the reason that they are more adapted for comfortable sleeping or socializing with friends. Another important advantage of the train - the proximity of railway stations to the city center. What cannot be said about airports. You can easily get to the train station by subway or any other public transport. This is especially important not to be late, but for those who are often late can be useful https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/. What are your favorite ways to travel?

2. GaffCoLLC

GaffCoLLC Member

May 31, 2022
    What cannot be said about airports. What cannot be said about airports, man? You can't just leave us hanging like that. Did you know that the giant blue horse in front of the Denver airport killed the artist who created it? That's creepy. I met him one time at an art show, Luis Jiminez. Nice guy. Blucifer_Sculpture.png

UnfurleD likes this.

3. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    wheels up to Mexico over labor day wknd. Puerto Vallarta. Solo shot after several weeks, months maybe, of trying to sort out one with the buddies. After another failed wknd, prices were too low to ignore. Would be one night in PV upon arrival, late Thursday in the evening, and another before leaving early Monday. Haven't decided where to stay, likely Punta Mita. Gonna rent a car for those 3 days so I can check out some spots. Lemme know if ya'll have any 'vice you care to send my way

4. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    haven't been in almost 20 yrs. but plenty of places to stay and surf. shouldn't be to hard to get a bed close to a break. I think sayulita may be a bit better in August/September. which is not to far away. it maybe a better bet for a strike mission.

UnfurleD likes this.
  5. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    Hopefully Sayulita is better than a crowded, LB wave that i've been hearing. I'm sure 20 yrs ago, probably wasn't as well known. Punta Mita is 30 min away, and i believe there's a break further up Sayulita that had my interest. Def gonna stop by at some point, but yea hoping for more than a waist hi max wave up there

6. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    Back from Mexico. Had a weather delay, so couldn't get to connection in Dallas Thursday to arrive into PV that evening. Went next morning, only to get delays throughout to finally getting into PV at 8pm, then Mex Rent a Car tried to double the charge for a car, so went to Hertz next to them. That delay didn't get us to our Punta Mita hotel until after 10. Next morning, went to Mictalan surf shop for $20 rental. They have two shops, one at Punta Mita and another across Punta Burros break 15 min down the road, both had a good selection of boards tho the one at Punta Mita were mostly bigger boards for the waves out front. Surfed Burros that morning then went to La Lancha 5 min down the road. Both were 6-8 ft faces, slopey and soft but both a good paddle out. Lotta LB's out there to take on the big 'uns, some were over DOH. Not a lotta surfers out there, small group of non-resort ppl at the beach because of the hike to both locations (through the jungle). We planned to get a water taxi to El Faro & Bahia (the Cove) that afternoon, but we were sunburnt and pretty beat from the heat. We said we'd come back tomorrow to take it on. That evening we split early to Sayulita & San Pancho. Both towns were bigger than i pictured, lotta golf carts. Sayulita had bout 50 ppl in the water trying to catch 2-3 ft rides, which we knew could happen. We ventured up north to San Pancho, it was breaking at one spot to left of the beach. It seemed to close pretty hard elsewhere. Bout 15 surfers on it, all trying to take lefts but i figured i'd paddle past them instead of getting dropped in (which i saw a lot of) to catch a couple rights. It worked, 6-10ft faces there with occ DOH.
    Next morning we took to Burros again, i had to get a redemption round there. Same size, maybe a notch smaller than day before, but we got our few and headed back to grab our sht outta the hotel and ready up for water taxi. After waiting bout 45 min for the boat to arrive (for some reason dude was pushing us to get to waiting), then as the boat came up he said it would be double the agreed rate which was $40 for both of us for 1 1/2 hr -2hrs. We told him we'd have to bail, too pricy, then he tried to cut it down to $50 all while giving us sht for not commiting to it. I told my buddy it's bad juju and he agreed, i didn't want to have any tension with these guys when they are going to drop us in the water when they can't be trusted so we walked out on that dckhead. I mean i handed him a couple beers while we waited 45 min, just a dck thing to do IMO. We tried to surf Veneros beach, further down PV past La Lancha & Burros but they are building a condo complex or something so there is no public access. We tried to get past construction (Sunday so they weren't working) but of course after we empty the care and about to haul ass, security guard comes out. Only way to get there was via Playa Destillarado or something like that, then hike up 20 min from there. We said f that. Went back to La Lancha, and wind blew everything out of favor. We knew a bigger swell was coming so that wind might have been it - talking about 20+ft waves en route. At that point, we didn't have much time to head back to Sayulita so we decided to drop boards off and check out dwntn PV.
    By the end of it, we wish we had more days to hit all the spots and also make the most to relax but it was pretty tough to make that happen with the delays and the hassling BS. We do want to get back there, but hot as hades over there now so def recommend a winter trip out there where it's cooler and waves are bigger and better conditions then. PV was a pretty small city, not wide bout 4 streets wide actually, next to beach with plenty of restaurants/clubs and sea boardwalk. Punta Mita was a good location to hit waves both north and south, but that lil city was pretty dead around 10pm. Sayulita & San Pancho looked like great options for a trip, more surf towns above San Pancho but it also gets a lil fishier out there i've heard. Looking forward to returning there in different circumstances

Peajay4060 likes this.
  7. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Sounds like a sick trip. You scored and you had to hustle to do it. Hoped you slept on the plane!

Any chance you saw the free and amazing show in PV? Bunch of kids climb a big pole in the square facing the bay. Tied to the pole by their feet, they light torches, and just jump off. they swing down spinning like a maypole! Went there decades ago on my honeymoon and the dude at the desk of the hotel said we had to see it cause it was free and amazing. It was both. Didn't surf as much as you did and i was there for more than a week.

UnfurleD likes this.
  8. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    pole.jpg

Peajay4060 likes this.
  9. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
  10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Temperatures are dropping. Anyone making travel plans yet? I'm looking at February either a short Hawaii trip or a longer Puerto Rico trip.

JTS likes this.
  11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    the only island I might visit soon is Staten.

12. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Just got round trip tickets for February from PHL to SJU for $79 per person. That's the least I've ever paid. Its Spirit which sucks but its way way less expensive than the other airlines. Its a non-stop round trip.

Tip for anyone who flies Spirit. The fare prices change constantly on their website. Usually Tuesdays and Thursdays have the cheapest flights. When you see the cheapest price for your desired flights on the website get in your car and go to the airport and buy the tickets at the counter instead of on the website. In this case I saved $92 by driving to the AC Airport and buying the tickets at the counter.

I don't know if this works for other airlines but this has worked for me very well with Spirit since a friend told me about this years ago. The AC Airport is less than 10 minutes from my office.

eatswell and Notaseal like this.
  13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Trip was a success.

330022507_1293942564495359_5918501284204283595_n.jpg

329767667_902143827901744_5409139933408232002_n.jpg

LBCrew likes this.