Building quiver, first post

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by The dude dude, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Agree with this.^^^ The rubble is a high performance shortboard. I would only bust it out if the waves were good. If you are building a quiver I would keep the rubble for stomach+ and get a groveler (a fish would work here) and a longboard for average and less than average surf.... maybe a standup boogie when you want to get weird.

Changing boards helps to learn. I began doing snaps on a twin keel fish back in the day. Just keep surfing and trying new boards. You will find what you like.

2. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    tri fins do turn snappier...but the compromise is tris are slower than quads.

I use quads when the waves are super small and slow (mostly just trimming, maybe a few flat turns)...or when the waves are reeling barrels (no turns, just hauling ass to make the wave). If waves have enough power or arent reeling so fast, I use a standard tri setup.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

3. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    6'2" and 165? Sounds like you need a sandwiche more than a board. Or maybe tacoes.

mmmmmm, tacoes...

4. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    truthfully you have the golden board right there. don't switch boards, switch fins. you should be going from mediums to larges depending on wave size vs. your weight, and you're gonna want some upright fins. if you wanna get snappy then stay clear of carver style fins with extra rake. play with fins before you drop $700 on new foam.

also, stock fred rubble comes with a round tail if I'm not mistaken. i recently switched to a round tail and I'm sold for life, but i've been a lot less snappy. When i get on my lost puddle jumper recently I'm immediately more snappy mcsnapscrotum, and that board is shaped like a football. i don't know the science behind what tail works best for what (my forte on this forum is more about perversion and suicide than it is board science), but i find that the squashy family makes for more critical snaps. that could all be in my head though...? so the moral of that story is to bum some boards off your friends for a mesh and see if its the tail that unlocks the mystery for you.

and fins.

stay with thrusters. if you wanna get snappy, stay away from quads with big butts. seriously.

You're gonna drown. I'm calling it.

yeah, wtf... asking for advice without introducing yourself is rude. for that sir, take your own life with your fred rubble... go down the the methadone clinic and get aids and then cut your arm open and drink your aids blood and get double aids, then wait...

this.

5. The dude dude

The dude dude Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Thanks for the help everyone I'm gonna look into some different tri fins maybe a grovler.

6. The dude dude

The dude dude Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Thanks for some knowledge.

7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude,
    The right set of fins will really tie your quiver together.
    Will it not?

Well, alright then.

8. The dude dude

The dude dude Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Thats what I've learned! Ill see what happens.

9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Always sand reconne.

10. EMazzSpicoli

EMazzSpicoli Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2015
    So if you don't know, now you know.

11. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi! Aloha!