surfers who fish.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Skipped a surf and got my 1st of the fall. The keeper slot is only 3 inches wide. This one was just a little over. I'm not really over letting it go yet. What if it's the only one I get? I wish her well. Hope she has 300,000 babies next spring.
    20231002_065759.jpg

Notaseal likes this.
  2. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Had a feeling yesterday that dusk would be good. Took a walk as the tide drained looking for structure on the open beach. Found an area that might be my spot for a bit but the water was very low and the outside was well outside. Kept walking till the trough was only a few feet wide with water jetting through. One step off the beach and I'm chest deep in a current. Got through it onto an almost dry bar with a pretty solid wave dumping on it. Tossed a sinking popper over the waves to open water and started working it. Got the plug to follow a crashing wave and watched a bass inhale it. Nice 31 incher. Had to walk it back through the trough and when we got in the water the fish took off! Beached it, drained it and parked it on the sand while I went back and tried again and same thing only bigger. Released without taking it out of the water ( read i lost it in the wash)Got home and my special lady showed me a couple of bags of yellow fin my neighbor got on a charter. We're fished up!

20231005_200303.jpg

Notaseal and seldom seen like this.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Fat, healthy fish right there, PJ... nice work!

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Second dive in a week, and first fish since my ear injury more than two weeks ago. Conditions were not ideal... a lot of current and chop, dead low tide, and a 2' groundswell still hanging around yesterday... but visibility was doable at about 5'. Not bad. So the dive was tough, especially not being in fighting shape. Dove for about an hour and saw a few nice tog, but no shots. Saw two striped bass, but no shots. One was short, the other a keeper. Was getting tired and started to head in, but stopped, took a rest, and decided to give it one more go. Glad I did, because as I slipped around a rock two keeper blackfish were sitting right there. Took one and headed home feeling spent but happy.
    IMG-6192.jpg

Notaseal and Peajay4060 like this.
  5. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    I started reading the beginning of this thread. Good times

Had a heck of a couple of weeks. Lots of skunk. Two gill netters have set up shop on my fishing hole. Seen people picking up good fish next to me. Usually right where I was standing just a few minutes ago. It hurts. Got a 12lber Thursday in the dark on a bpurple minnow. Forgot my light so that was fun. And finally saw results with a dark plug on a dark night. Happy of course to not have a skunk week.
    20231012_091135.jpg

Started the next week with a bang. On the beach at dark. In the right spot. No netters. Casting and casting nothing. Saw a dude walk up and set up a little past me and hook up right away with good fish. I keep going and hook up on the outside bar with a bucktail. Dudes it was picture perfect. Purple sunrise. Pretty wild swell. I'm on a berm and battling. Drag screaming. Then pop. I lose it. Not sure why. It happens but I'm bumming. Found a couple of lures on the beach though.
    Next day same time and place. Not a touch. Two dudes walk up right where I was fishing and both hook up 1st cast! I fiqure I'm next when my reel just busts. Take it home and find this. Brass dust in the grease. Stripped a gear. On s 706! It's in the shop. Could be why I lost 2 fish this season. Neither drop made sense.
    20231016_112845.jpg

I have some options as back up but it's either heavy duty, light, or beat up. After some research decided to go light reel same pole. 4000 size has pulled in some big bass and blues but never in the suds. And it had 15lb test on it. Went to try it the next day and it was no wind glass calm. Perfect. This setup weighed a lb less and was a treat to cast. Threw the sand eel I found and it got nailed right at the lip. 28 and 8lb
    20231018_085336.jpg

So I'm doing OK. Not exactly killing it but ok. Feeling great going to work, get going on a job and pop. My back goes. It gets worse by the hr. By the time I get home I have to crawl. Can't stand up. Out of action for a bit. That's why I was reading the old stories. I'm laid up.

Catch one for me

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
    Notaseal likes this.
  6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sounds like some great action, PJ. They're starting getting some nice fish in the surf starting this past week. This is the time of year I drive around with all my gear in the truck... waders, rod, dive gear... everything.

Heal up, brother...

Notaseal likes this.
  7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Still good stock of blackfish around... limit goes from 1 fish to 5 fish, as of today. Yesterday was an easy dive in 10' viz. Shot this Tog on like my 4th or 5th drop, then did a bunch more drops hoping to see some stripers. No dice. but at least I'll have some tasty fish tog-os for dinner! IMG_6300.jpg

Notaseal likes this.
  8. Jamesrobert

Jamesrobert New Member

Nov 15, 2023
    ¿Cómo llamar a Air France desde Francia?
    [​IMG]

Calling Air France From France May Seem Straightforward, But There Are Various Aspects To Consider, From Booking Flights To Seeking Assistance. Air France Telefono España In This Comprehensive Guide, We'll Walk You Through The Process, Providing Valuable Insights And Tips Along The Way.

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Took my last dive of the year on 30 November. Saw a small school of spearing, but literally NOTHING else. Blackfish have moved offshore to deep water. Stripers are still moving through the area, but saw none that dive. The cold weather has arrived, so I shut off my outside shower... now there's nowhere for me to rinse my gear until I turn it back on the in the spring... usually late March/early April... just in time for the spring striper run and the return of tog to the inshore rocks.

We used to say as kids... when the lilacs are in bloom, the blackfish are in the rocks. And it's true.

But it's a sad day the day you turn off the outside shower. Feels the same as the day you pull your boat out of the water... the day you clean and oil your shotguns and put them away for the year... and the day you "fall back" the clocks. A sort of satisfied sadness... and another year older.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  10. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey its been a while. My back is tweaked so surfing is out for a bit. I'll take the winter months to rehab.

So true about the water shut off LB well said.

So I've been fishing. Taking it easy though. Not running around looking for blitzes at all. I go to a spot and if they are there we'll alright.

I missed most of the back of October, but on my 1st day back at it picked this guy up before 1st light. 20231024_072307.jpg

I kept going day after day but if it looked remotely rough I stayed back threw a few casts and BS'd with the crew. Gained some knowledge.

Then I lost the bite for a solid week. Took a bit to find it. Found the structure mid day at low tide and pitched a bucktail at the bar corner and pow. I'm on 1st cast! Just 28 and 7lbs but I'll take it. Went the next day in the morning at a higher tide and same thing. This time I hung around and picked up a few schoolies. After that it was just a numbers game. Picked about 1/2 dozen fish everyday for 2 weeks. All short.

I think I wrote that all the fish I took home from this spot had empty stomachs. It was like they came in, looked for food and moved on. After a big east the beaches were flattened. No structure and a slow pick of small fish. So I decided to make a move to the inlet. Which I avoid cause of the crowd. When I get there there is a short jetty with birds and dudes are slaying them on it. All short.No spot for me so I cast near it and pick a few but no where near these guys numbers. I bag the day and wait till the next and get that jetty to myself with the wind at my back. Cast a heavy tin and let it sink and slow retrieve so it is under the schoolies. Feel a few taps but no joy until about 1/2 hr in and I have a heavy pull and then the drag. Tried to get the fish on a flat rock but it had other ideas and jumped in a hole. It was a sketch retrieve but it was a keeper so I went for it. Pulled out a 11lb 31 incher in Dec! Ate 1/2 that night with long island mashed potatoes and spinach. This guys belly was full of big bunker.
    20231203_095059.jpg

Just fished that jetty again this morning and picked up a bunch all just shy. One good dude pulled a thirty out. It was comedy out there. My whole bag emptied into a hole and took me a while to collect my gear. Wind knots. My bud showed us a lure and dropped it never to be found.

10 more days and I'll shut the out side water too.

11. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    One question, PJ... What are Long Island Mashed Potatoes?

13. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Interesting. Sad to see the industry has shrunk so much, but I guess that's "progress."

When I was a kid growing up in Cape May, NJ, there used to be a lima bean parade every year at the end of the summer when they'd harvest all of the lima beans... the biggest crop grown down there at the time. They even crowned a Lima Bean Queeen every year... and I actually dated one for a few years! LOL!

You should try to grow potatoes... it's easy. I've grown them and you'll get a surprising yeild from just a few quartered potatoes. We have very sandy soil here in Monmouth Beach, too.

15. Peajay4060

Nov 14, 2011
    you dated the Lima Bean Queen? Did you have a title? Like that dude that was married the Queen of England.

I think the tater farms were sold off for big $ or they switched to vineyards and make big money. https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8b9124f6-6005-48aa-b823-8a14842e8a91

Ground hog day again today. Pulled a few out at dawn.