Surfing Literature

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by dbiz135, Feb 16, 2010.

1. dbiz135

dbiz135 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Right now in the Northeast is cold, snowing, and f*^&*^g flat. Other than traveling, reading a good surf book keeps me stoked. I recomend "All for a few perfect waves." and "In search of Captan Zero" all recomendations are apreciated.

2. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Caught Inside is a good book I read it a couple of times. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence is a good read too

3. Dropout

Dropout New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Dogs of Winter is also a good one.

4. wcec

wcec Member

Nov 15, 2009
    have to give a second thumbs up to caught inside... have read it a few times over as well. great book.

5. fulltilt720

fulltilt720 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Reaaaaaaally enjoyed In Search of Captain Zero, and Caught Inside. Would also recommend West of Jesus (dont be deterred by the name), it's a good read. -http://www.amazon.com/West-Jesus-Surfing-Science-Origins/dp/1596910518

Currently working on the Dora book, All for a Few Perfect Waves. Haven't gotten all too into it yet.

6. lisurfer

lisurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Captain Zero and Caught Inside are good.

One of my favorite's is Eddie Would Go, a biography of Eddie Aikau but also talks Hawaii's surfing history, really well written.

Pipe Dreams, the book by Slater, is also pretty good. Interesting to get inside his head a little see how he grew up and the beginnings to his surfing.

7. dbiz135

dbiz135 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I just finished the Dora book. Good read, but might have been better if he would of told the story. Either way fascinating character, they should make a movie. I'm sure he would hate that!!!! Just got "Caught inside" looks interesting and I'm about to order the Eddie book. I read the Slater book and it was nice to get a glipse into the mindset of such an acomplished person. He talks about charging big waves and how he overcame the fear of certain dangerous spots. Good read, check it out.

8. d_rehmann

d_rehmann Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I know this is irrelevant but the book "Suffer in Silence" is a good book about Navy SEALs going through training in Cali. Its pretty intense. They state the true **** that happens at BUDS and isnt shown on television

9. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    just picked up "waves and beaches". i heard it was great. i'll let you guys know, gonna start it tonight.

10. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    i never read until lately over the snow storm i was boered of COD...Pipe Dreams by kelly slater was pretty good and Big Sur by Jack Kerouac is also a good book along with Scar Tissue. Only one is a surf book.