Winter Surfing Paper

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JerseySurfRat89, Feb 28, 2010.

1. JerseySurfRat89

JerseySurfRat89 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    essay for my writing class to explain something i enjoy doing. anyting about whether i left something out or my language is to surf oriented and will be hard for regular people to understand. anthing will help, please leave comments on what you think!

Surfing is something that not many people think about daily, especially in the dead of winter. But to those few who do think of it, it is something magical. Surfing in the winter is an unexplainable experience that will change someone forever. The community that you find in the ocean at sunrise on a freezing February morning is something that a plethora of people would have nightmares about, but a small minority would dream about. There is something extraordinarily special about surfing in the winter, and many things go along with it.
    Usually when people think of surfing, they think of the beautiful beaches of Hawaii on a perfect summer day, but for the surfing community of New Jersey, that is just a small figure of our imagination. Instead we think of having to put on a wetsuit while being outside in 10 degree weather. In New Jersey, waves change enormously from summer to winter. The waves get heavier, or thicker, making them much harder to ride. The type of equipment changes as well, going from a pair of board shorts, to a wetsuit, Vaseline, and a strong mental mind. The fact of needing a wetsuit is self explanatory, in order to keep the body warm, but Vaseline and a strong mental mind are two things the average person would not expect a surfer to have. In order to keep surfers faces from getting frostbite or hypothermia while going under water, people apply Vaseline to their faces. Since a wetsuit covers everything on a person but their face, Vaseline is an essential tool to have with you before you paddle out. Now, these things will help immensely, but more is needed to survive the conditions of the Atlantic. A person’s mind needs to be strong because after going under 34 degree water five times in a row, most people feel like giving up and heading right into shore, getting in their car, and having a nice warm shower. But the fact is, if you want to be successful, you need to stay focused and be strong, for what you are doing is not easy, making persistency key.
    The surfing community that emerges during the winter is my favorite part. Being able to find a spot and surf with your best friend all alone for three hours is the greatest. In a typical New Jersey summer, you will find a million people in the ocean, some trying to surf, some not, but still making a surfers life difficult. But the winter is different. In the winter, you could say the “true surfers,” come out. If you are surfing in the winter, you need to be experienced, you need to be strong, and most of all, you need to be courageous. You will find many things in the summer that you might not find in the winter. For example, seeing girls and older people, is something fairly rare to see in the summer. Sure, you will still see both of them, but the majority of the crowd will be young kids and men.
    Surfing in the winter might either sound like a pain in the neck, or the ride of a lifetime. But no matter what you think, surfing in the winter will help you with anything, whether is physical or mental. Your mental toughness will grow, making you more determined and persistent, along with your physical toughness. Surfing with 15 pounds of equipment on your back will help your physical state as well. After surfing with 15 pounds of equipment on, then going to Costa Rica on a surf trip and surfing in just a bathing suit, your surfing will be 10 times better because of the freedom you will have. Your wetsuit restricts movement of the body while surfing, so taking that off will definitely help you, just ask anyone who has done it before.
    Surfing in the winter is something that I think all people should try. Whether they like it or not is up to them. It is a great source for letting out emotions, as well an excellent workout. Being able to surf in the winter is a great blessing that I feel all people should be able to experience.

2. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    there are some structural issues, but the main thing i'm left wondering after reading your essay is: yes, but what of it? what's your point? why are you telling me all this?
    in short, what's your thesis?

the structural issues that you have in your paper are a small issue compared to the seeming lack of focus that runs throughout.

3. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
  4. JerseySurfRat89

Oct 6, 2007
    njsurfer, i understand completely what your saying but this is just a draft i typed up in about 25 minutes or so, not really focussing on strucutural issues, anything like that. but the main focus is to inforn abobut the experience of a winter surfer. the reason i posted was becuase i questioned myself after writing it. any advice on how to make the thesis more reconizable would be great

5. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    "you will surf 10x better" - proven. when you surf in the winter in nj and then surf in costa rica, you go from mediocre to pro in 1 plane ride

6. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    first, you need to figure out what it is that you want to say. obviously, you're trying to convey just how much you enjoy surfing, esp. in the winter. your essay, as it currently stands, does not get that message across.
    i suggest starting w/ a small anecdote. paint a vivid picture in your audience's mind of just what surfing in the winter is like. describe the creeping chill that you feel as you wade into the water, or the way your breath catches in your chest as the water slaps you in the face for the first time. the way the world is muffled when you have a wetsuit hood on. use metaphors & similes in your writing...it really makes your piece stand out from all the other "this is why i like blah, blah, blah..." essays. it makes what you're talking about tangible. & if your reader is someone who's never surfed before, it'll make all the difference.

7. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    haha great quote. hopefullly that works for me too because im going there in a month!!

8. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    i just got back from costa rica:D
    next year im going to either el salvador, ecuador, or peru....

9. Jimmy Slade

Jimmy Slade Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    i disagree. No one should be able to expierence it except me. I hate it when i paddle out in the winter and there are people surfing. This sport used to be fun until the invention of surf cameras, wetsuits and the internet. Thats something you should write a paper on.

-slade

10. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Okay Jimmy for one thing surfing isnt a "sport" Its a lifestyle and if you feel its a sport you have no understanding of surfing. Also if you there wasnt internet, Wetsuits, Or cams how would you surf in the winter without a wetsuit ???And dont say I would go someplace warm for the winter cause not everyone has the option todo that.

The foward movement of surfing and it technology is constantly making it better. As long as we keep non surfing companies away that dont care about the advancement in surfing and only to make a quick dollar we should be good

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  11. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    lol,Brother just got laid out.

12. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    hit the spot yo, only thing its rare seeing girls in summer??? I think you mean winter.

13. JerseySurfRat89

Oct 6, 2007
    yep meaning winter not summer, thanks

14. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    great essay it wierded me out tho bc those are my exact thoughts and life situation and i been to costa after survivng winter surf.... jersey surfers are defiantly on the same wavelink..........i have a writing class in bdale alll i write about is surfing!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  15. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    I, too, love the magic of surfing in the winter, albeit in the tropics. Nothing like the early morning chill at sunrise, grabbing a steaming hot cup of tropical coffee and steamed milk, freshly baked and still hot French style bread and the smell of coconuts, gardenias, banana trees... and being one of the first in the water that is warmer than the air at 77F. Paddling out to East Coast cold water shore break does NOT prepare me for 200 yd, 300 yd paddle outs in the tropics, and the power of those waves.

16. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Usually, it's hard for me to formulate sentences about how I feel when surfing without sounding like a total kook or tree-hugger. So, I just stick to other topics when writing, such as the death of my Grandpa or a persuasive writing piece on a value of mine. Every once in a while, I'll throw in a piece about a memorable dawn patrol or something like that.

I agree with Njsurfer that you need a more recognizable thesis. Make yourself an outline and underline your thesis in your paper so that you can clearly see it, and formulate topic sentences from there. Also, if this is a formal essay for an English class, you should probably stick to third person-omniscient. First person shouldn't be used unless it's a personal essay, or your teacher allows you to do so.

I understand what you're trying to say with respect to your love for surfing in the winter, but I believe that you can definitely put a lot of work into this paper. My English teacher would be super harsh on you because of the disorganization and diversions and all, but at least you've got a basis from which to work.

High school I'm assuming? What grade?

17. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    yea i try to keep surfing and school seperate...when school is combined it ruins my love for things

18. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Nice!

Great thoughts! I wish I could have written that well in high school -college. That last paragraph could use a bit of polish. I'm not sure "toughness" is the best word choice.
    Organize your thoughts around a thesis.Remember: tell them what you are going to say, say it, tell them what you said. 1,2, 3!
    Keep up the great work. We could use more surfing writers to help us get over those flat spells!

19. Jimmy Slade

Jimmy Slade Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009

What are you talking about, Geek?

It's all about the

-SLADE

20. JerseySurfRat89

Oct 6, 2007
    just a high school freshman, and this was just a straight rough draft, seeing what everyone thought