Midget d*ck high april 9

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    The forecast was spot on where i was... chest high and clean.
    Good Job Swellinfo!!!!:D

2. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Bay Head.... waist to chest and perfect shape and angled lines. Light offshore from dawn to dusk. A few head high bombs came through 5-7pm tonight. ALL DAY SESSION

3. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Micah was right...I scored.

BUT
    You cant only use this site. Ya have to have knowledge of the coast and the swells. Use the charts he provides to make your own decisions. It says summary for a reason. And It is the average for a giant area. There has to be standout spots/sessions and beaches that may have sucked today. Be smart and score waves.

4. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Thats what I saying, you cant totally depend on Site for the forcasts to be 100% accurate . I know that Some of us live a decent distance from the beach and depend on Sites for forecasting and Web cams. If you live a decent distance from the beach and let say you only go to a cpl of spots I would say learn how those spots work under diffent varibles such as swell direction, Wind direction and speed , and tide. This will leave you not so depended on sites and they will just become a reference point.

5. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Use these sites as guides .What did you do 10 years ago?

Congrats on your 500th post Motion.LOL

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    This site is great! It has helped me plan my weeks many times. I hate to say it but, If you can't check the surf yourself and will get pissed if you make the drive, take off of work or whatever and it sucks, maybe you shouldn't be surfing. The internet is responsible for the crowds we all face, even land locked surfers. The people willing to put in the time used to be the ones who scored. Now everyone who owns a surfboard thinks they are surfers and deserve their spot in the lineup without any effort or dedication. You pile insults on this site and the person involved in its creation and upkeep even though is completly free and has no guarantee just like nature itself. I am thankful for any help I can get from this site and thank it's owner for his efforts.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    100% agreed!!

the only thing i would change is instead of saying, "the internet is responsible for the crowds we all face, even landlocked surfers..." i'd say, "...ESPECIALLY landlocked surfers."
    it seems to me that forecasting swell events days in advance has really allowed the uncommitted masses to take up surfing on a much more than part-time basis. it's fairly rare to score a post-work session w/ just the other surfers in your neighborhood anymore...the out of state tags line the street ends, instead of bikes piling up on the bulkhead. all b/c the inlanders saw the swell coming & either took the day off work/school or went to the beach straight from work/school.

8. steamfed

steamfed Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    rofl at the haters in this thread. what a bunch of noobs. y'all seriously look at just one forecast and plan your entire day around it? that's pathetic. thumbs up to those who scored - intelligent minds usually get the best waves :cool:

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I guess I have a soft spot for landlocked surfers :). Although I grew up on the beach for the first 22 years of my life, I did move 2 hours away when I got married for a decade. I hated it and burned thousands of gallons of gas and thousands of hours on the parkway driving to check the surf. I'm guessing there are at least some expats who fight to keep surfing alive in their lives through horrible drives etc.

10. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Im with you here. Reading this post just made my skin crawl...

We are all from the midatlantic, yes? Well, I grew up over an hour inland too, and I drove down to OC with my dad my whole life... We all know what its like to drive a long while, just to get skunked... But you know what, when I became an adult, since surf was so important to me, I moved to the beach and have never looked back. I, like many others walk to the beach to verify the surf... I know everyone can't do that, but if you aren't dedicated enough to figure out swells yourself and at least research your local beach, then you don't belong there anyway...

So, again, if you drove 2 hours based on a local windwswell prediction for the midatlantic, I would check my sanity. yeah, you didn't score, but for real, you drove 2 hours without checking other sources??? I mean, I have done the baja thing a million times, but never once have I not checked multiple sources to get my data. Wetsand, surfline, swellinfo... NOAA... All of it... And baja is always firing. Its always consistent, but I still dont waste the 30 minutes drive to get skunked...

Do your research. Do your homework, and if you are so upset being landlocked, stop being landlocked. No one told you that you have to live 2 hours from the beach (unless you are under age). Also, no one told you that you need to stay in Jersey or MD your whole life... So if you are fed up with bad windswell predictions, that will never change. That is life as a surfer there for all of us....

And man, this whole conversation would start a fist fight at my local breaks... Guys complaining that internet forecasts and webcams didnt work would likely be told to leave anyway. I mean, this WHOLE SITE and this WHOLE IDEA really goes against what we are and what we want as surfers... Brining more people to our surf??? Its crazy talk. I had to shut down SIXONENINE.COM and sixonenine.net due to local feedback. When i put a webcam above sunset cliffs, I literrally got death threats. I should post messages from my inbox when I posted a DETAILED San Diego surfmap on there. Interactive with spots listed that are not listed ANYWHERE. Real local knowledge... I had webcams, daily reports, forecasts... all of it... And in the end, I took it down because the very people I spent time with in the water just hated it. So I listened...

If Micah is smart, he is just messing with you guys and telling you that Long Branch is going to be DOH, meanwhile, he is down in DE surfing alone in head high barrels... I bet the joke is on us all... Micah in directing you guys to where he isnt... makes sense to me =)

I love this site for the community and the forums. Where like minded people can talk about surfing...

11. SeaDaddy

SeaDaddy Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm quoting my self because I don't see much variation in SewllInfo explanation of this SSW than what I said on page 2, so I don't see why everybody got so bent about this. This is the East Coast and things change real fast we all know that. If you have surfed for any length of time at least in in jersey you should know what to expect with a fast moving front with SSW winds. I don't think it's the site's fault there are too many variables.

12. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    As far as I'm concerned, keep the inaccuracies coming, that way all the inlanders and weekend warriors get upset and frustrated, that way maybe they won't come back! Now that's thinking ahead!

13. Zansurf

Zansurf Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    WOW........just wow

14. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    there was a 5 year or so stretch of my life (college & a year or so immediately after) during which i lived 3+ hours from the beach...about as landlocked as you can get. while i eventually came to my senses & moved back, i maintain to this day that i had gone temporarily insane.

i pretty much use this site as a guide to let me know where there may be a greater than even chance of swell in the water. i still physically look at the ocean every day w/out fail.

15. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Much is made of the impacts of webcams and crowds. Well, unless you have a nice web-enabled phone and a number of webcams, they don't do much except for the lazy people living close to the beach. Seldom will you find somebody that lives 2 or more hours from the beach making the "dash to the coast" because a webcam is showing a good wave. Too late, you already missed it! Just the opposite for people living close to the beach who will turn on the webcam and then decide whether or not to go surfing. On the other hand, I do enjoy watching the occasional webcam of places that are far, far away.

The Internet does affect the crowd quotient for many swell events. However, it is just as easy to lay blame on the wetsuit manufacturers and the surf shops that willingly sell the wetsuits and the competitive forces and sponsors of the sport. Worst of all are the hordes of surf schools, surf camps and surf guides that exploit the sport and make it so easy on the traveling surfer (and removes one of the valued treasures of the sport, search and discovery).

I am amazed, but not surprised, at all the sniping of the Swell Info site forecasting. Talk about a bunch of silver spooned spoiled brats! You want to make a different and improve the forecast - then provide *detailed* information on the local break (date, time, exact location, tide, wind speeds and directions and duration, wave size, wave direction, break type and distinguishing characteristics) and compare the actual observed conditions to the forecasts for the preceding 5 days. Even with the best science and models, forecasting is still probabilistic (a function of statistical error).

16. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    you tell em' sponge bob!

17. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Lollllllllll!!!! Wahhhh fcuking wahhhhhh you clowns!!!!

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Isnt that pretty much what most people who dont want to get skunked already do...except for the "provide" part.

19. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    Hate to say it but there is a rather consistent demographic shared by the whining hating noobs.

20. rodndtube

May 21, 2006
    LOL, amen to that, Mitchell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.