I know... I know

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by zach619, Apr 23, 2010.

1. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    really? do you know where your sponge came from? do you know how it got to your local surf shop? do you know why you have so many convenient things at your fingertips? OIL!

2. instantkarma

instantkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    forget tv, i will cancel my cable and just come to swellinfo for all the drama that i need. grown men using their computers to type nasty comments about someone elses comment. sweet.

swellinfo, can i have 15 minutes of my life back? like crack i got hooked in and thought this thread might have some real info, silly me. i know now. now, let me free up some swellinfo member space.

3. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    That is a great reply :D.

4. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, when I started this thread, I mentioned that I am no tree hugger just because I didnt want to come off as some anti-gas anti government guy....

Im just saying, when you are drilling less than 50 miles off the shore of THE US!!! You had better be careful with you samn oil rig... thats all. Look at the number of OIL rig deaths that they listed in the article... They say THOUSANDS of people a year are gettin killed and injured on these things... So there is FAR too much USER error when dealing with these rigs, not to mention proper oversight...

And they want to build these off the midatlantic... I just wanted everyone to revisit this topic in their own minds... And you can defend BP or Obama or whoeever you would like to, but Im saying if they put a rig 50 miles off the coast of OC MD and they blow the fu**ing thing up, we are all in for a few long hard years... As surfers, as people, as fisherman, as lovers of the ocean.... Its just a total loss....

And to the guys harping about the current state of the media... I have to disagree. Maybe its just that I live in a different area, but I feel like ever since the presidential election ended, CNN foxnews and everyone have been rendered helpless and unheard... People dont listen to that sh** anymore... All you see are angry tea bagging morons...

I mean, I am a conservative, but I dont watch that garbage, but what I hate now is that the media I NOTICE is the exact opposite. I mean, for the whole first year, it was like the whole nation and all of the media all got on their knees for our new political structure and started boasting Hope and change and freedom and bailouts and changing the world... That the media I am sick of hearing from... Cause yall stole billions and billions of dollars from us, gave it back to your crooked oil companies and banks. And that was your first move in office... Now healthcare went through, and we are further in debt and dumping money into a poorly planned system that will no doubt fail in the end...

Its like, how about we all stop watching any political media coverage. Its all BS. One way or the other... I would never defend right wing media, but the only thing worse that Foxnews is a bunch of left wing nonsense...

Since we all agree that Iraq was terrible etc.... Lets do what they explain in the movie "W" when they show him the middle east and explain how if we take over Iraq, within the following 10 years we will control 1/3 or the worlds oil (most of which is in Iran)... So, if we all need oil so bad, stop tiptoeing around it... We are going to eventually wage war over there. Do it now. Take the fu**ing oil like we planned on doing in 2001. Now that Bush is out of office, stop lying about it. We went there to post up shop right on top of all the worlds oil... We are in the politcal clear. Everyone hates us anyway, just finish the job and stop bul****ting.

5. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    First, I have to make a note about all the government brainwashing stuff. If you truly believe that the CIA is creating marketing campains to brainwash us you are highly mistaken. Clearly, you need to do more research before blaming mysterious parts of the government. The networks and their whole b.s game is there for the all mighty $dollar$. Take that away from them and they are powerless but YOU keep choosing to watch their sh*t programs and, thus, support their advertisements. One thing though that I can totally agree with is that we are terribly lazy in the States. I lived in Europe for a while and it makes you realize why we consume so much oil. For example, I got complaints for suggesting to walk 1 1/2 blocks to go the store rather than driving. On the other hand, I think MAIN the focus of this thread should be on joining surfrider and making this issue known with the FACTS. I agree with instantkarma, stop sitting here on a forum complaining and actually do something about it. If you are frustrated about the state of the oceans DO SOMETHING/ANYTHING! Mama ERF will love you for it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  6. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I'm writing a research paper on this exact subject, trying to prove that offshore drilling is truly not worth it considering the amount of time it takes to produce and the harmful effects it has on our environment. I finished the rough draft maybe 3 weeks ago, and in those 3 weeks Obama flip flops his policy on off shore drilling and gets rid of the moratorium, and now this happens. I'll have to make a lot of edits now :eek:. But honestly, off shore drilling is not as promising as people say it ought to be.

7. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I don't agree on invading a nation for oil, but would have more respect for them if that told us that was the truth. Politicians will never tell the truth though.

There are alternative ways to run machines including cars, but the government only looks at oil drilling. Oil companies have lobbyists who give money to campaigns and they get rewarded. It's basically a bribe to continue drilling and feed their friends pockets. Oil is hear to stay because of the lobbyists, but offshore drilling will do more harm than good. I'm not a tree hugger. I don't even believe that CO2 causes climate change. I'm just against directly polluting the areas we live in. This is getting crazy. We already have partially treated sewage being dumped into the ocean and now we will have several oil spills. Maybe it will make the surf competitions more xtreme. They can light the water on fire and you have to duckdive under fire rings and hit airs over the burning fire. Then, sharks will not be on any surfers mind, lol.

8. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    haha. Fire rings. Nice.

About the surfrider thing. I am a member. I pay my dues each year etc. But to be honest with you, surfrider is another organization that has its own costs to pay for and its own agendas. And although I am all for everything that they do, if I cut them a check for $1000, I have no clue where that money goes and for what cause. I know you just have to trust people, but I dont... And no offense, I clean up my own beach much more often than the once per year surfrider pier cleanup.. Ya know... Not hating on them, but if we all give surfrider 1000 bucks, it will NEVER stop offshore oil drilling..

The surfrider foundation can go up against the Orange County Local government and save trestles, with TONS of help from many other organizations, but to think that the surfrider foundation is going to have a voice in any arena with billion dollar oil moguls involved is not very realistic... yes, surfrider does good thing, but they will never even become 1% large enough to go after big business.. exxon... BP.. never... If our own U.S. government is their bi**h, and they have to ask how high when BP says jump, I just dont have faith that surfrider can help...

I whole heartedly support them, but locally... Clean the beaches, do the activism thing... But fighting oil rigs is out of their jurisdiction. IMO

9. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    yeah, I can't wait till they build 'em out 50 miles off of Delaware, that'll be fun when the thing explodes out there and were all surfing in oil slicks...got to love the United States of Greed!

10. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great thread to bring attention but agreed ya gotta get active......

11. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Gas is up 10 cents in the last week. I don't know if its related to the spill but I'm sure there will be some BS made up disaster or some crap will go down with those CS'rs in the middle east to drive gas up to 3.50 or more.

12. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    baby and the bathwater

the simplistic notion that simply because we need a product, (oil, automobiles, guns) that those who provide or use it have carte blanche is ridiculous. cops are not allowed to randomly shoot people (despite what some think). further, just because i provide the service of driving a taxi doesn't mean i can drive in your living room or run over your dog. with privilege and power comes responsibility. obviously, if a company that makes billions (exxon posted the largest profit EVER made by a company during our so-called oil shortage in 2008) off a needed commodity, they must do it responsibly or we are idiots for becoming their slaves. one must stop thinking like a third grader and understand that a complicated world involves decision-making that requires thought and restraint....and limits.

13. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Hey sponger dude who makes the most money off a gallon of gas. Look up the answer once you figure it out come back and tell me they dont have us squarely by the sack. You dont have a choice america will never try to decrease its dependence on oil. Because it would be bad business for the politicians to do so. Oh by the way to answer the question for you it is the american government. So please dont tell me we have a choice in stopping them from financially raping this country. For the record as well please dont lecture me abbout how cops dont just go around shooting people. There are many good cops. There are also an awful lot of bad ones. There have been plenty of bad shoots in this country.
    Right now they make 15% on every gallon to not do anything to it. I need to be in this racket.

In 2008, the United States consumed about 137.80 billion gallons (or 3.28 billion barrels) of gasoline, about 3% less than the record high of about 142.35 billion gallons (or 3.39 billion barrels) consumed in 2007. Consumption in 1998 was about 126.52 billion gallons (or 3.01 billion barrels).

137.80 billion x 3 x .15 = right around 62 billion dollars in gas taxes.
    if you take it at a flat 60 cents which is actually closer it is 82 billion dollars in taxes.
    You tell me how the gvt shouldnt be helping with the cleanup.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  14. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    :mad: :mad:

15. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008

fyi: gas prices always rise in the summer due to increased fuel usage

16. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I have figured that out over the years. I thought April was a little early for that trend to start.