Atlantic Beach/Morehead City

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by surfing is neat-o, May 5, 2010.

1. surfing is neat-o

surfing is neat-o Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I hate to put a classified add up here but im going to anyway,

I go to NC State and I have an internship at the Morehead City National Weather Service this summer from may 15-Aug 15 and Im having trouble finding somewhere to stay for these 3 months. I grew up in VB and worked on the OB last summer so I wanna find somewhere reasonable close to the beach (AB, PKS, MHC, etc.). Id really appreciate suggestions or references from anyone in the area. Im on a pretty tight budget so im not picky, I just want a place to sleep and keep my boards ASAP.

Please post on here or PM me if you have any ideas!

Thanks,
    Carl

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Active Member

Dec 7, 2007
    That's peak tourist season so anything in AB will be pretty pricey. If tourism is slow you might be able to find a long term rental, but more likely not. If you're on a budget, you're better off looking for a place in MHC, Beaufort or Newport. Maybe try Craigslist?

3. surfing is neat-o

surfing is neat-o Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks BigKahuna, thats kinda the direction I figured I would have to head but I figured I would give it a shot. What is the parking situation like? Is there free parking or anywhere that typically a better idea than other places.

4. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    You'll probably end up having to find a place in Morehead. Atlantic Beach can get fairly crowded in the summertime, and probably expensive as well. My family owns a house on the island and I've been going up there my whole life. It's such a nice place to be. As far as the parking situation goes, I'm not really sure, since I've never had to deal with it. However, I don't think it's too bad. If you end up living in Morehead, you'll have no trouble getting plenty of water time in. Don't go to Beaufort. That will definitely be expensive, and you'd have to go farther to surf unless you have a boat. Pine Knoll Shores is nice, but the sandbars seem to be worse down that way. I would definitely say that the farther north you can stay, the easier it will be for you to get better waves.

5. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    anywhere from ei to ab is going to be outrageous. For instance, a decent one bedroom "apartment" will easily run you 600 a month. Beaufort isn't too bad, but it depends on where you live. PKS is nice but like I said earlier, it isn't going to be cheap. There are some town houses there you can buy for a cool 300 grand. Sandbars shift constantly so the chances of you pulling up to an access and finding a fun peak or two are pretty good. Good luck

6. surfing is neat-o

surfing is neat-o Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the advice! I found a room for pretty cheap in MHC not far from the causeway bridge to AB so im happy!

See yall in the water!