still can't do a 360

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by Waverider82, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Waverider82

Waverider82 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I've tried like a 1000 times to do a 360. I can't even do it in the white water. I get to 180 and then I usually just lose the wave. I'm putting pressure on the front of the board so it doesn't catch, but I can't even seem to get the board to ride going backwards. I basically just wipe out. Or if I'm on the wave, and try a 360...I turn the board right hard and fly off the lip of the wave! I'm completely useless. Could it have something to do with my board? I have no problems riding waves with it, but it's a little heavier than other boards. Would that effect my ability to do a 360. I know to keep my feet out of the water, but my board just doesn't seem to want to spin. Sometimes I just end skidding sideways and can't get around.
    This is getting frustrating.

Any advice?

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    you need to ride high on the board... Get up as high as you can on your board, and when you can distribute your weight more evenly through the board, than it is easier to maneuver.

Easiest way to learn is to ride with good riders and watch them... And, watch videos... Do a slo-motion replay when the riders are doing the maneuvers, and watch how they are positioned on their board.

You'll get it eventually. It takes everyone a while to learn... But, just remember, body position is everything.

3. VBwaver

VBwaver Member

Feb 14, 2009
    get up on your board bt not so much that you flip over. if you are starting out you want to gain speed and get way out infront of any white water bt to the point to where you are still on the wave and gaining speed. you want ot be towrds the bottom of the wave if you are starting out and fling your sekf either way as hard as you can. you can even put your hand in the water to create kind of a brake to spin around.

4. hardcoreboogieboarder1

hardcoreboogieboarder1 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You have to make sure you are holding the board properly. If you are going left your left hand will be at the front left hand corner of your board. Gain speed, get your body weight a little up on the board, pull your fins out of the water and push with your left hand with your body weight on the front left of your rail with a spining motion. If you are going fast enough this maneuver is cake. Surf the web for this maneuver im sure you can find videos and stuff. But key thing is to watch other surfers. (as said above)

5. Waverider82

Waverider82 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks for all the info. I've always gotten up high on the board and brought my fins out of the water. At least I think so It just seems the board won't spin. Should I pull up my outside rail hard to help spin? I've been watching some video's on youtube and studying. Hopefully, I can try it again soon if we ever actually get any swell.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    the other aspect is speed. If you have no speed on the wave or the proper part of the of the wave to do the spin, then its going to difficult.

7. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    ahhhh thats how

well once ive done a cutback maybe then will i begin the 360s. I like the look of big fat floaters. reminds me of burly grinds an slides in skateboarding. (my roots)

8. ecbb

ecbb Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Keep at it man, takes practice.

I used to have a tips writeup on ECBB with tips, but am in the process of re-doing on the new version (if anyone's interested in helping, let me know!)

In the meantime, Jay has a good tips section here http://www.ebodyboarding.com/tips that you should check out.

I will also add two quick pieces of advice: 1) slide forward far up on your board before starting the spin, and 2) LOOK THROUGH THE WHOLE SPIN (i.e., turn your head).

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  9. rexxkramer

rexxkramer New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    whip your head around before your body your board will go where your head goes...try it, it works...its all in the head movement...

10. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I bet i could do it. On the first try.

11. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I havn't body boarded in 16 years but i would guess you make a smooth bottom turn find the part thats about to break and lean your head and shoulders into the wave pulling up on the opposite side front corner facing the wave. You should then let wave do the rest of the work as it will sling your butt back down the wave i guess haha

12. warch

warch New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know how frustrating this could be, I started out digging my inner hand(hand toward the face of the wave) into the water while being up higher on the board putting my fins up(crisscross for style) after that I slowly emerged not using my hand. Hope this helps.
    1. You want a good amount of time left on the wave
    2.You shouldn\'t be going too fast, slow yourself down doing a cutback
    3. As you feel you are following rules 1 and 2, make a slight (not sharp) turn towards the lip. Go about halfway up the wave, ( you should be at a very slight angle).
    4. Shift your body into the spin, turn your head toward where you want to go
    5. Very very quickly after step 4 you move your body up the board and fins out of the water, this creates momentum to very greatly help the spin
    6. As you go through your 180 then half way through the 180 going back to normal. Resume your normal prone position,and man it feels so good the first time you get it.!---
    *tip- Dont use to much muscle and strength I know its tempting ,but this will only threaten your success. Keep it relaxed and you\'ll get the spin of your life :).
    Let me know if you get it -PS. So you understand step 5, sit in your computer chair, spin, and put your feet out straight, now quickly tuck in your legs toward your stomach, yayyy physics
    phew, now back to geometry homework

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011