Low Tide/ High Tide

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by notjamee, Jun 3, 2010.

1. notjamee

notjamee Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Okay.. so I'm new to surfing and only surf when I'm down during the summer since its kinda hard to surf in KY. Anyways, today I was out around 7pm and one min it was head deep then the next it would be knee deep. Stupid me broke two fins, and I regret even staying out. What would make the ocean depth do that.. is it due to low or high tide? I'll chalk this up as a lesson learner. BTW, my user name says notjamee.. and that is not me and it wont let me log into my own account.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    yes, the tide changes will influence the depth of water where you are surfing.

as for your username... i'm not sure what the issue is - what is your actual username?
    You should log out of the current account, and then if need be, use this form to reset your password:
    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw

3. notjamee

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks, I'll try to reset it.. I honestly don't know. I just logged in through my FB and I tried that today and I don't know why this screen name appeared and I tried logging back out and in but it did not work.

As for me, I was stupid. I guess the reason the tides were so bad was because I went out at 7PM exactly during low tide. I'm a noob so I'll learn as I grow.. too bad two fins did not survive today.

4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    a good rule of thumb is when you see the wave infront of you starting to turn brown you are entering a shallow section. the wave turns brown from churning up sand from the bottom.

at least it was just your fins and not your fin boxes... unless it was your fin boxes. fins are an easy fix, fin boxes, not so much.

also it sounds like you might have been on the inside, catching waves in the shallow water. this is a no-no for a couple reasons: 1. you have a pretty good chance of damaging you board if you ride in shallow water (hitting bottom). 2. other surfers will get pissed that you are on the inside, sitting right in their path. this will also lead to you board getting damaged from being run over. next time try heading out into deeper water where you see all the other surfers sitting. i was out at low tide yesterday and was nowhere near hitting the bottom with my board.

5. Waveskier

Waveskier Member

Dec 3, 2009
    It all depends on the break. First golden rule is not to surf a shore break. You may see other experienced surfers surfing shore breaks but you could mess yourself up bad if you don't know what you are doing.

Beach breaks vary as to how they respond to the tide. A very shallow beach break will more likely close out at low tide which would be harder for an inexperienced surfer. A deep beach break may stop breaking at high tide and would therefore be better at low tide. Since deep beach breaks do not always break, at high tide the wave continues until it gets to the shore line and then you have a big shore break. The size of the swell also matters. On big days, the waves will be breaking on the deep and shallow breaks at high tide but will be dumping (closing out) more on the shallower breaks.

You need to scout out your break before paddling out. I would stay away from crowds initially even if they are surfing the best breaks. Even if you have read the surfing code of ethics it takes a while to instinctively practice it. Next looking for spilling waves and not dumping waves. An A frame wave with a left and right shoulder is ideal.

That was the short and simple answer. The link below sends you to a more elaborate one. Have fun and be safe!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080626144900AA6T16i

6. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Kook

7. wbluke

wbluke Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Agreed

8. notjamee

Aug 30, 2008
    Yes, I am a Kook! Is it bad to try and learn how to surf? BTW, there were no other surfers there. There are rarely any surfers there which is why I go there. I'm learning, and I guess some people have something against beginners, even though in one point in time everyone was a "kook". I'd understand if some experienced surfer was out having fun and I came out to ruin it which is why I stay out of their way

9. respecttheocean

respecttheocean Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Take it easy

Man, notjamee...
    Don't worry about what anyone says. You are new to the sport and simply were asking questions. I guess all these johnny rippers just jumped on their boards and were spitting images of Mitch Coleborn. The sandbars constantly change at every beach and will not be consistently even down the beach. One spot you could be in chest deep water, and then just a ways down could be thigh deep. The tides affect everything about how waves break as does the ocean bottom and it's slope. Definitely a lesson learned, but broken fins are better than broken fin boxes.....Good luck man. Sounds like you are respectful in the water, and that right there is a very good thing...for a beginner or a seasoned pro!

10. pjc5150

pjc5150 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    hey conway and wbluke,

it takes REAL MEN to take pot-shots at a beginner anonymously on the net.

You were beginners once too.

You both look like a couple of little *****es right now. :eek:

I'm laughing at you as I type.

11. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    What you just said doesn't change the fact that both you and notjamee are kooks.

12. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    sometimes being where there are no other surfers might not be the best choice for learning. i'm not saying paddle strait into a group of dudes but maybe paddle just a little north or south of the group. there are probably no surfers where you are trying to learn for a reason, like no rideable waves are breaking there. the fastest way to gain respect in a line up is to follow these simple rules:

1. try your absolute hardest, especially when paddling for waves. this will raise your wave count, make you a stronger paddler, and above all make you not look like some blob laying on a board. i usually give everyone in the lineup one chance. if i see them charging into a wave i'll give them the go ahead, if their closer to the peak. but if they ***** out and cause us both to miss the wave, i will paddle for every wave that comes near them just waiting for them to blow it again so i can drop. keep that in mind.

2. when you see a wave you want to catch, if theres other surfers around, you should be looking both ways like your about to pull onto a busy road. if there is a surfer heading your direction, do not drop in. until you get your skills honed and you can pull out of a wave on call, DO NOT drop in. cutting off another surfer can, and should be, avoided at all costs. if it happens, and you manage to avoid hitting each other, man up and apologize. a simple "my bad" can keep your session from being ruined by an aggro surfer. this is only good once tho, a second drop in is inexcusable. on the other hand, if you do hit the other surfer, your on your own, and likely to have a confrontation.

3. remember, everyone is out there for the same reason as you. to have fun and become a better surfer. treat everyone with the max amount of respect and you will get the same in return. and keep a smile on your face, which shouldn't be hard once you get you feet solidly on your board. a disarming smile can take you further than you can imagine.

I hope this helps dude. i was taught the "rules" of surfing by some really great surfers and i just want to pay that info forward. good luck learning dude, and even better luck with livng in KY haha.

13. 58845

58845 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I think the distinction is that every beginner is not a kook. I think a lot of people figured out how to surf through lots of trial and error, with a humble attitude (at least notjamee has this) and lots of observation of the more skilled surfers. Not "OH MY GOD I JUST TOOK MY BRAND NEW FIREWIRE DOWN TO STONE STREET AND IT BROKE EVEN THOUGH I ONLY USED IT ONCE, WHY?"

Not to say that every beginner shouldn't ask for help, but there is a line. It's one thing to ask fellow surfers say..."What knots are best for a leash string?" Or "Is this 7'0 fish I'm about to order going to limit my progression after I get a little bit better?"

You're good for having some compassion though Headhigh....

14. pjc5150

pjc5150 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, since you're safe at home, just keep running your little ****-sucker on the internet.

If you were here I'd knock your ass out, you little punk-ass *****.

15. Wander

Wander Member

Jul 28, 2006
    You might have just found the a sandbar. There are plenty of places where you walk out and get pretty deep only to then come upon the sandbar that is maybe making some of those waves. Sometimes I slide of the board and get a feel for the bottom for a second so I know where I am depthwise. Being aware of your surroundings (all of them- surfers, swimmers, ocean bottom, rips, etc) all goes into the mix. I am not so sure that surfing shore break is all bad...you just need to surf accordingly...safely...and without messing up another surfers waves.

good luck..

16. terra-firma intolerant

terra-firma intolerant Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Sometimes, the "shorebreak" turns out to be breaking 15 feet from shore on a little sandbar making fun little barrels. I love those little waves, if they have a little size to them, they have fun steep drops and some decent tube time.

17. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    You're such a kook.

You're a kook, too, 58845.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  18. Waveskier

Waveskier Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Now I want Conway to call me a kook. Because I seem to respect the guys he calls kooks more than him.

As for shore breaks these days that is just about all we're getting are the waves lapping on the beach. On small days you don't have much of a choice but beginners should avoid surfing a pounding surf break. Even the experts run the risk of breaking a board on days like that. On small days you can find spots where you can surf a shore break that doesn't dry out like the 1 ft deep tidal pools.

While it may be good to surf with experienced surfers who are willing to be helpful that doesn't mean you have to go to the first break. I don't like surfing with a pack. WB has so many access points I've always been able to find uncrowded breaks. Once others see me catching a lot of waves on the second or third peak they start to migrate over.

19. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Waveskier? Like snow on water or mountains in the ocean? Sounds rad. You're no kook.

20. analogsurfer

analogsurfer New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    i remember when i started.had a jacobs sunrise board that was all rounded up from the rails i couldnt keep from rolling off the hill shaped deck.years later after i learned how (on a sweet lightning bolt some fool stole,) i pulled it out and rode it for the first time. it was fun to finally conquer the dumb thing.