BP CEO Tony Hayward

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Scarecrow, May 31, 2010.

1. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't put all of the blame on Tony Hayward or BP. I also blame our government for deregulating the oil industry.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Nah, not so much fascism as one of those other "isms": capitalism.

4. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I guess that makes it right, huh? Whatever happened to ethics? There are no more morals or ethics in this country. It's whoever ends up with the most toys wins, sad.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    Capitalism is a good thing. The problem is fascism when companies really run the show. Our politicans are just puppets for large corporations and they make us believe that who you vote for matters. Most are owned by corporations and write legislation benefiting the corporations who greased their palms. They lobby to government to not impose any regulations. BP owns Obama.

6. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Then who's ass is he going to kick? :rolleyes:

7. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    I guess an imaginary enemy since that was a PR stunt.

8. 609Surfer

609Surfer Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    They'll have to kick each others ass for doing such a bad job.

9. cjswee

cjswee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    He...

...only cares about his own existance...I'm sure he has $100 million in stock options that are about to be worth zilch. The whole management team especially the one i'm hearing about that directed the drilling shortcuts to use salt water instead of drilling mud should especially be targeted and reduced to a homeless troll...

If they cannot guarentee immediate safeguards for accidents they don't need to be in business...I am a republican but I cannot see how the rank and file republicans can defend this industries actions of not holding them fully accountable.

10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

I don't think anybody is defending their actions but guess what, accidents DO happen. Bad decisions were made that made it worse and BP will pay for that. They are already paying if you look at their value. There are so many simplistic thinkers on here who think this is such an easy fix or somehow greed is responsible. if anything, greed will prevent another accident since other companies are looking at how much BP is losing and will realize that a little upfront investment in safety will prevent major revenue hemorrhages later.

11. jwj72

jwj72 Active Member

Apr 2, 2007
    So the latest is that someone (probably at BP) told Transocean to proceed with what they were doing even though two critical tests failed and the guy in charge of the rig was against it. Whoever the responsible parties are, they should be held responsible. Having said that, I don't think you can excoriate an entire company of thousands of people for the decisions of one or a few. Secondly, some of you may get your ill-conceived wish now that the Obama admin is talking about BP paying for all of the people they're putting out of work with the deep well drilling moratorium http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6582NC20100609. If BP goes bankrupt, no one is going to get paid, as I stated before. The full ramifications of these plans need to be thought out before these knee jerk reactions are made into policy or law. Apparently, British retirees are now being hurt by all the demagoguery of BP now as well.

12. cjswee

cjswee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Of course...

...there are going to be accidents. But, this one might have been man made. The initial interviews w/ the onboard engineers said that that BP management directed them to use light weight salt water for drilling instead of the drilling mud which is chemically engineered for this work. Each interviewed engineer said in their whole careers they have never done this and their objections were overruled by BP management(even the lead engineers). If this is the case then the saltwater could not hold back the 2000psi+ pressure created at this depth that the mud could have when used. This is what probably caused this whole mess. Trying unsound shortcuts at these depths and since it is so deep it's out of control and cannot be sealed like a surface well can.

Now, without pre-drilled relief wells like Canada uses for all of their deep wells we are getting screwed and have to wait until possibly August or later to fix this. Just like riding a bike downhill w/ out brakes.

This was all caused by BP management trying to cut down on the 750k+ daily expense of drilling.

13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    how do you possibly know that given that they havent declared bankruptcy so no court has looked into their assets, and no charges have even been filed against them to determine what crimes they might be guilty of and how many claimants there are. I would think BP has significant assets that would allow claimants/creditors to get paid, and with the politics of this situation i doubt any bankruptcy court would allow BP to squander away all of their assets on bogus "retirement" packages as opposed to spill victims. As has been said before, these oil spill threads on a surfing forum are really ridiculous...sorry for prolonging this one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  14. jwj72

jwj72 Active Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I'm not going to claim to know exactly where all the victims fit in, but the courts will have to follow bankruptcy law (although I suppose Obama could and probably would violate these laws as he did with GM) and the money will run out at some point as opposed to if they stay in business and keep making money. Criminal charges have nothing to do with claimants. If you don't think there are already lawsuits in action, then you haven't lived in this country very long. My point was that people keep demagoging BP and the administration is trying to sign them up to pay for more than the spill and I don't think any of that is constructive to the situation.

15. jwj72

jwj72 Active Member

Apr 2, 2007
  16. eastcoast_sponger

eastcoast_sponger Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    **** BP and every body that works for this company. your not only ****ing up spots to surf but everything else that lives in the ocean and they think its only a minor spill and is having no effect on the eco system?? buncha ****in morons. every mother ****er that died the day that this happened deserves every last bit of what they had coming. so does there families and everybody else that works for them. these people need to be thrown the F*ck in jail. its been over a month now and there had been no progress?? were just letting oil spill into these waters and its slowly creeping up the coastline? this sh!t is rediculous. these morons need to start using there F*ucking heads and realize how bad they are really F*cking **** up out in these waters and get it cleaned the F*uck up.

17. jwj72

jwj72 Active Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Obviously a Rhodes Scholar.

18. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    I saw that interview on CNN they had with the 5 survivors of the oil rig blast... To here that they were talking about BP managers forcing to cut corners, over safetey restraints by Transocean is sickening.

19. eastcoast_sponger

eastcoast_sponger Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    For all of you guys who havent heard yet; the oil has entered "the loop" which stretches from the golf around the keys and up the entire east coast.