Costal Edge Coming to OC 45th st

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by surfingoc, Jul 22, 2010.

1. surfingoc

surfingoc Active Member

May 19, 2006
  2. delsurfer88

delsurfer88 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2008
    honestly, if it is owned by the guy who owns sunsations, i don't think it will be a local "go to" shop, if its like a sunsations in anyway it will just be another tourist trap

3. surfingoc

surfingoc Active Member

May 19, 2006
    Sibony just owns the land, nothing to do with the retail store, atleast thats the way I read it. Coastal Edge is pretty big down in VB, this would be a huge store, 9,615 sq ft. They sponsor a lot of events as well.

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    wow, I would agree that the town is pretty flooded as it is with surf shops.

5. Sandbar18

Sandbar18 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    everything in the 45th street complex fails- I wish s-s-s-s-scandals was still around

6. ECSURFR

ECSURFR Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2007
    What about the Huuuricane? Anyone remember that place?

7. souljahsky

souljahsky Well-Known Member

May 28, 2006
    the boathouse was the greatest place in the world, second to the garden.

8. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    saw modern english at the huricane

9. erewhon

erewhon Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    ..saw Marshall Crenshaw at The Hurricane.

10. saltwater_rider

saltwater_rider New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Don't be fooled.... Coastal Edge was started by Sunsations money.

11. jerseytubes

jerseytubes Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
  12. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I think it is good for the surf community. I know the few owners of the shops would dissagree, but this will help bring prices to a competetive level in the area, so its not all crazy markups for tourist season....

Where I live, there are 3 major surf shops in my little neighborhood. The most popular is the one that will be like Coastal Edge. Its got corporate influence etc... But the way my neighborhood does it is different. only ONE out of the three shops can carry one major brand. So, the popular more corporate shop has the billabong/ripcurl/quicksilver suits, as well as all the firewire and channel islands boards etc... This shop is where you get all the mainsteam stuff. The other two shops split the remaining contracts and pick up the body glove and a bunch of local stuff, plus one etc...

So each shop has its niche, but in most areas and cities, there are no peaceful solutions like that, so I think its only fair that there are a bunch of surf shops in town, all offering competetive prices on new equipment. Its not fair to locals in OC to have to only choose between 3 surf shops, that probably already cost their stuff out higher than most areas would, due to the isolation of the delmarva coastline.... Its the whole monopoly idea.... I think for all the surfers, looking to buy new gear and stuff, it should be great...

Not to mention that anyone who has plans to put money into the surf community, organizing comps and events is great!!!!

Hopefully it will work out... Sometimes the surf world needs a little corporate influence so that local shapers stop charging 850$ for their custom fish. It is what it is, and mass produced materials cost less and are in a much higher demand. Point being, that it wont hurt the local shaping market. If you get locally shaped now, you always will... but this gives more potions.

13. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I've been to the one in KDH. It's a pretty big store and the people were friendly. I probably wouldn't buy a board from them because I'd rather get one shaped, but it's an okay place if you need a t shirt or some flip flops or need to kill some time. The more the merrier I say.

14. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    If its a year round store thats cool alot of surfshops cut hours after labor day. most dont even open after october in my area. There are 3 shop I get stuff from that are year round and I get differnet stuff from each shop .

Spread the wealth

Money is like Manure . If you dont spread it around it starts to sink up the place:rolleyes:

15. mikedub

mikedub Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2007
    well at least during october they will sell sweet halloween costumes http://store.halloweenplanet.com/index.htmll (costal edge owns that place too)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  16. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    hey theyre legit. they throw plenty of demos like i went to a bam margera demo in VB last year and just got a s***load of free stuff. i didnt so much care about bam lol

17. PowerUser

PowerUser Active Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Yup, remember the hurricane... think every ice bucket in that place drained onto the floor, was always 2" of water on it... what is that place now, a parking lot.

Would be nice to see something survive @ 45th street. But, I think I would rather see a local shop get bigger (and become a destination), rather than 'surf'-walmart move in. See the big box advantages too.

Must be a market for it, 'edwards' really rolled over their gift shop, and became a surf shop...

18. monge

monge Member

Dec 27, 2009
    i dislocated my thumb breakdancing at the hurricane.

19. chong

chong Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2007
    The Hoochiecane! And the 32 ounce cup... Filled with warm King Cobra malt liquor.

20. jackassateague

jackassateague Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Haven't we seen this before a few years back?? (another Va. Beach shop open AND CLOSE in Ocean City) Support our local shops - Malibus, Endless Summer, Chaunceys, K-Coast... ALL owned by really cool guys who need OUR business in these ****ty economic times... ALSO, as someone else said, 45th Street Village is a dump.