Hurricane Boards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by ND081, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    well with the swell coming up this weekend, I wanted to make sure I have the right board picked out. I'm about 5'8 and I ride a 5'9 K-Small, so I'm not sure it's going to be big enough for sunday. I have a neighbor that might lend me his step-up but idk if its worth it. what do you guys think?

2. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    dude, its gonna be head high, not 15 feet

3. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    It's all about skill/balls my friend. I'm taking my 5'4 out to see how it does in bigger stuff. It handled chest+ well, (trying to get some Kelly'esc turns)Take whatever you feel comfortable with and how the waves are breaking, you may need the extra volume if u suck at paddling or need to get in early.

4. divinesurf

divinesurf Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    ill be takin out my 5'7 dumpster diver....

5. divinesurf

divinesurf Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    idk if i have said this before but fupafest is hands down the greatest name haha

6. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    great answer

7. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    walden magic model baby. bringing out lots of foam

8. jettyface

jettyface Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I will be riding a skimboard. They are really easy to duck dive. I plan on boosting a 10 foot gnar air kick flip reverse. Seriously though fupafest is right one 6ft wave is different than the next. It could be big and mushy or medium sized and really steep different boards for different types of waves.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
  10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
  11. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    what is the world coming to....

12. exilenj

exilenj Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    just picked up a 6'0 round tail done with resin x from brian wynn:D

13. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

[​IMG]

14. Surferdann

Surferdann Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm gonna have to agree. If the paddle out isn't too bad, def gonna go with the 9' single fin Hydroglide...otherwise it's the 7'. Both are so much fun when it gets bigger.

15. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'll be out on the 9'10 bing it it starts to get steep I will switch up to the 6'2 quad

16. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    That center fin needs to be replaced with a Turbo Tunnel!

17. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    rude awakening for anyone out there on something less than 6' unless you are only 5'4". In my opinion. But I've been wrong in the past I just don't see how a cat 4 is going to only generate head high surf.

The power of the wave itself, not just the height. is going to require a bigger board.

Everyone's so used to wind swell.

Even the report is now saying "well overhead".

18. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Nut up, dudes. I just got back from a trip to costa rica where i cought 12 foot pavones on an epic south swell. you know what i rode? a 6'5 pin tail. Im 6' and like a 185 lbs or so and got some killer waves. Sure there were guys out on full on guns, but they got the same waves as me and had to make bigger, slower turns. When is pumping, as long as you can get into one, your just planing on the last couple feet of your stick anyhow. Id say more important than size is tail shape. Get something fast and responsive. The fish might be fun, but i find it a little loose in bigger, sketchier days.

Take the board that you have been ripping little waves on - grab your junk - and get tubed! Big waves are what its all about. There are finally some on the way, not a good time to break out your skirts.

19. skunk patrol

skunk patrol Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    same here ill be on my 9'6'' and if it gets to wild im gonna switch up to my 6'3'' twin..
    Sooooo Pumped Finally some Real swell!!!!!!!!!!!

20. instantkarma

instantkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    board selection

Sure sometimes having the right board can make a difference, but I am reminded of a story my buddy told me about a trip to Indo a few years back. Boat trip and he was solo and didn't know anyone. Some dude gets on the boat with a pink soft top fun board and a bunch of young dudes from the states start laughing at him (my buddy is from south america and doesn't care to judge anyone). When it came time to charge guess who got it. Turns out if you can charge you can do so on a pink soft top fun board. My buddy said the boys from the states were only good at drinking, being annoying and hooting up waves.

I agree with a previous post, grab what your comfortable on, get mentally ready and charge.