waterproof cameras

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by OCsp0nger005, Sep 3, 2010.

1. OCsp0nger005

OCsp0nger005 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    hey guys, im looking for an underwater cam, i have checked out the following:

Sanyo Dual Camera Xacti VPC-WH1
    Pentax Optio W90

any suggestions on these cameras? or any other cameras? thanks

2. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Pentax

I've got an Optio W80 Pentax, and it's not bad in well lit conditions. Image quality suffers a tad in low light. Also, I've noticed that there's a bit of a lag between pressing the shutter and actually capturing the image, so you have to anticipate the action a bit, and that can be annoying. Paid $179 for it, so it's not a bad camera for the price. Don't know much about the Sony, but from my experience with them, they have a very good image quality.

3. OCsp0nger005

Dec 2, 2009
    yeah thanks!, do u have any other recommendations?

4. dredg2

dredg2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kodak playsport

5. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    hey dude, go on craigslist and there is someone in Newark, DE that has a nice Canon for only like $20. no zoom, but the cam looks like its in great condition!!! Also, don't know how close you are to DE

6. OCsp0nger005

Dec 2, 2009
    yeah man, thats a pretty cheap alternative with 1080p videos!

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    the wife has the xacti. it works pretty good. still photos are very nice and the video is decent. it is pretty durable, the memory card holds gobs of pics/vids, and it wasn't very expensive. it has been a nice starter cam for us.

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    i dont recommend the Sanyo Xacti if you plan on shooting in the surf. Ive had two fail...which sucks because they take decent shots and video for the price. I know others who have had their Xacti fail as well.

9. OCsp0nger005

Dec 2, 2009
    well, i plan on shooting on both land and surf. trying to kill 2 birds with one stone :D. but i could really use a good on land cam because the Kodak Playsport seems like it could be a great in surf cam, but not so much else.

10. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    if you had the cash I would say get a good camera that you can use lenses on and buy a water proof housing for it too