Fin length?

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by Waverider82, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Waverider82

Waverider82 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Why do they recommend not using long fins for bodyboarding? I don't drop knee and I'd like more thrust/power/speed to be able to get out into the line up. Would a long snorkeling fin be beneficial to me?

2. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Well im not sure. I know that the shorter fins are for quick bursts of speed, and i would guess the longer ones are for more power...go with a pair of viper fins.

3. BZ_DropIN

BZ_DropIN New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I use Tech 2s. I wouldnt say they are long but they are not too short. They are just about perfect in my opinion. And for they dont recommend using long fins is because they could actually weigh/ slow you down. They are used for more under water movement rather than top water movement, if that makes any sense haha.

4. Waverider82

Waverider82 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I now have a pair of fairly long full foot fins. There the u.s. divers full foot proflex diving fin. They work great. They have a long very flexible fin. I find they have much more thrust and snap than the short ones I used to have. You can go for longer with less effort and much less torque put on the ankle joint. I used to have the u.s. divers/aqua lung trek fin and it really puts a lot of strain on your ankle joint and it didn't give the same amount of thrust and of course very little snap compared to the long fin.

5. basscaptain

basscaptain Member

Aug 28, 2010
    i have always used shorter fins ( i do dropknee on occasion) and havent suffered from lack of power. Im using Mike Stewart Viper Fins and have no problem getting out in large swell and fighting the current. the only problem is that my feet get a lil ate up, but that comes with the territory

6. dalebodyboard

dalebodyboard Member

Sep 15, 2010
    haha i wouldnt use diving fins. it maaaaaay have alil more speed. but itll prolly cause some drag while riding the wave. i use allys made for DK there comfortable which is always imortant!(blisters suck) but they still have great thrust. i love em!

7. MaxG72

MaxG72 Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    "Prolly?" I have to disagree my friend...

In the over 25yrs I have boarding, I've never experienced any drag while using long fins or any fins for that matter. I have both Tech2's and a pair of Aqua Lung Slingshot's (neoprene boot, no rash or blisters) and I'd take the Slingshots out every time over short fins when its big. Of course its a matter of opinion so this debate will no doubt exist for ever.

8. VBwaver

VBwaver Member

Feb 14, 2009
    i used toobs blunt cuts and i loved them. they are alittle shorter tho

9. paulie05

paulie05 New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Only One Option!

Tech 2's all the way, baby!

10. basscaptain

basscaptain Member

Aug 28, 2010
    besides, i dont think you want to look like a dumb ass out there lol, might as well stick with the fins made for bodyboarding lol. just man up and build those muscles lol