Ding repair: gloss coat?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by lax8810, Sep 23, 2010.

1. lax8810

lax8810 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Ive become pretty proficient at doing most board repairs, but have a question about doing a ding repair on a board that has a Gloss Coat.

After I have finished the repair itself, how do I get that polished gloss coat look?

right now it is just a sanded matte finish and doesnt look professional.

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I can get a decent polish over a ding doing 400 wet, 600 wet, then polishing compound with a polishing pad (electric grinder/polisher), then buffing compound on a wool bonnet (same grinder).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010

3. lax8810

Aug 29, 2009
    what kind of polishing compound should I use?

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You can buy surfboard polishing compound from places like fiberglass supply or maybe greenlight, but you can get away with boat polish... from West Marine or even the hardware store.

5. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    ive been fixing dings this way for years

1. Fill in the ding with ding repair material.
    2. Leave the board in the sun for approximately 20 minutes.
    3. Go surf.

leaves an ugly, sharp, unpolished mess but sure gets the job done

6. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    3M products are very good but expensive. your better off doing the wetsand and finding the highest grade samd paper possible. I have something called superfine and its more like cloth than sandpaper. I don't usually go the compound route, but it does work if you need the high gloss finish.

7. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    On my longboard, which has a gloss coat, I use a hot coat to finish off my dings. Just brush it on and it usually sets up glossy and requires very little if any sanding. I mix it so that it pretty much sets up and turns to a solid gel in about 2 minutes.

8. lax8810

Aug 29, 2009
    I tried wet sanding it with 800 grit wet/dry sand paper it looks a lot better. I am going to try and polish it too. thanks for the help guys.