Water temp

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GoodVibes, Oct 28, 2010.

1. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Haven't been out in a few weeks?Hopefully this weekend.Whats everyone wearing?Im thinking boots and a 4/3 should do justice.

2. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i was perfectly fine this afternoon in just a 3/2. no boots required, tho they might've been nice if the air temp had been in the 60's instead of the 70's

3. ClamChowder!

ClamChowder! Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Went out after work today in a 3/2 no boots body was warm but feet were numb in about 45 mins. It was 75 degrees out too. So I figure 4/3 and boots for the weekend considering the air temp is gonna drop

4. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    i was hot in just my 3/2, there were two dudes out with board shorts and a long sleeve top

5. mikestrianese

mikestrianese Active Member

Sep 19, 2010
    3/2 with 5mm booties today. Hands were a little cold, but otherwise was overheated.

6. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    3/2 with boots, hands were chilly but i was alright after 15 minutes.

7. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    3/2 for me today as well. same went for the 5 other buddies i surfed with today. one had boots, but his feet get colder, and muscles get sore pretty fast, and toes start popping out of place. mine do as well, but like someone else already said had the air temperatures not been in the mid 70s i probably would have brought the boots. i'm thinking with highs barely reaching 60 for the weekend when i surf i'll probably need my boots. just two weeks ago[or was it three?] whenever the last swell came last time i went out which was a peashooter of about 1 to 2 feet i was trunkin it still. i think it was three weeks ago. the air temperatures were around 70 those days, and went down into the 60s by sunset when we got out. i just remember laying on my board waiting for wave, and not much in the way of swell that day. i am good until the water gets to 50 with my 3/2. when the water gets to 50 or there is a big cold front thats when i put on the 4/3, and i go for the gloves around the same time.

8. temoniprince

temoniprince Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I wore my famous yellow rashguard and boardshorts yesterda . When then water hits 60 then I change to 3/2 wetsuit. People call me crazy but I hate paddling with a wetsuit

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

yea, i'm really not understanding all this talk of 4/3's already. the water's in the mid-low 60's...3/2 range for sure. i'll likely throw on some 3mil boots this weekend w/ the forecasted air temps hovering in the same range as the water.
    & unless the bottom drops out of the air temps, i won't even consider gloves until the water hits the 55° range or so. even then it'll just be simple 1.5mil excel jobs to keep the chill off. the 3mil gloves won't come out until the water drops into the 40's. i'll prob. start rockin' the 4/3 when the water's around 50.

i always wear the least amount of rubber i can to keep me warm. unless the air temps are in 30's or 40's, i see no reason to wear a 4/3 in october.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    3mm full and boots are plenty. I was very comfortable yesterday and the water temp was 61. Not too hot, not too cool. A couple guys had no boots, and one guy said his feet felt like "pieces of meat." Ha!

11. Surferdann

Surferdann Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Wore my old 3/2 and boots the day and was burning up!!

12. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    3/2,boots optional,but that means boots are any day now with gloves looming right behind.
    inevitable

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I don't mind the thin 5-finger gloves with a 3/2. But taking the leap to a 4/3 and hood hurts. Tick...tock...

14. hobie78

hobie78 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    water temp/wetsuit

I go with a 3/2 full and 5 mil boots, feet get cold and numb quick, no gloves though. I'm actually looking for some input on a good 4/3 or even 5 mil with the detachable hood and back zip?? I currently have a hyperflex (amp) 5 mil with hood attached, great suit but the hood feels so friggin tight, feels really uncomfortable from my neck on up? I realize theres probably no way to get around this but just wondering if theres anything better out there??

15. cjtst11

cjtst11 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I was in my full 3, no boots and wished I had brought them. I was hot on top with the sun and my feet were numb after an hour.

16. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    man! it must be a lot warmer in Maryland than Jersey. i surfed two sessions in a short sleeve 2/2 full and no boots and was comfy both times. Water temps felt like mid 60's at least.

17. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Look at the Excel wetsuits. I tried one on the other day really nice fit and no choking.

18. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    If 4/3 is all you have then its obvious. Either are fine. Booties are a good idea with this transition period. Better to have warm feet than get cramped and damaged muscles. plus better traction in colder conditions. Performance is paramount so keeping the muscles warm is important. Gloves are up to what you can stand. I hate the idea of putting on a suit too but Tis the season.

19. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    i was HOT in my infinity 4/3 Tuesday morning in vb. No boots, no gloves. I wish i had a long sleeve shortie for this time of year. For you guys wearing booties already... THAT SUCKS!!!

20. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Yea, I was at VB Thursday, I only have a 4/3 so I was sweating, left the booties in the car. a full shortsleeve would've sufficed.