R.I.P Andy Irons

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DaveyB, Nov 2, 2010.

1. r donofrio

r donofrio Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    this is crazy... it is said that they are not sure what he died of but his family said he was believed to die of dengue fever..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. snapper

snapper Member

Oct 5, 2009
    O.K. they found methadone and powerful sleeping pills in his room. I will wait 60 days for the toxicology report to come out before I make any conclusions.

3. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    R.i.p.

Rest in peace Andy. I was shocked to hear the news, you were the first professional I heard of in my short surfing life. I wanted to be you once I saw how your ripped.

4. rustysrfr

rustysrfr Well-Known Member

May 29, 2007
    My favorite segment of andy irons is from blue horizon when he's surfing that nasty below sea level reef break when he is super deep with foo fighters times like these editted in. Perfecto. To the surgeon. RIP

5. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    RIP Andy Irons. You are a lengend and one of my favorite surfers. I'll miss your yearly trips to Manasquan every summer and your legacy of a professional surfer. Condolences to Bruce and the rest of the family, Hawaiin community and friends.

6. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    wow. andy was one of my favorite surfers and i too idolized him... RIP Andy

7. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    HIs WIFE, NOW WIDOW IS PREGNANT :(

8. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    We all should plan to surf for him next time out. He gave alot to the surf world. He will be missed. I still morn over Mark Foo sometimes and some of my friends that have died surfing. Heros all. I have an older video with Any in it called Revelation. I think hes also in Snuff video. Heres to the ocean prayer circle. Aloha!

9. GnarKiLzKiLz

GnarKiLzKiLz New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Heart Breaker

This was just stunning news to me, apparently many others as I would expect. He was the one pro that really inspires me. The fact that his wife is pregnant.. that's where the heart break set in. My prayers will be with him and his family as I am sure many will.

Such a talented surfer, and a good family man, now hes gone at just a flick of the switch. Amazing how we are alive and well one day, and the next could be gone. Makes you appreciate life a little more.

He will continue to inspire how I surf, here, or not here. In my mind is a legend and will always be.

RIP AI, Peace be with you bro.

GnarKiLzKiLz

10. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

whenever investigators find controlled substances of any kind in the area a death occurred they investigate it as a possible OD. that's just the procedure. it doesn't mean squat. the only thing the methadone could confirm is the rumor that part of the reason andy left the tour in the first place was to combat a heroin/crystal meth problem. but that rumor was never confirmed by anyone close to andy, so it's all speculative.

also, if you're traveling around the world, switching time zones every other day, you're gonna have trouble sleeping. if you're sick, it's even worse. i would be more surprised if they HADN'T found sleeping pills in his hotel room.

11. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    RIP. AI surfEd so strong and was a joy to watch

12. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    So what if the guy had demons, don't we all? He wasn't one of my favorite surfers but still a big loss. Not a hero certainly but a tragedy for the surfing world.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I feel really bad for his family and friends. So sad... My heart really goes out to his parents and brother and wife... Absolutely crushing. Prayers for them all.

I like to think that dying from illness is a tragedy. Dying from drugs is a lesson... if anything good at all can come of it.

Rest in peace, Andy... the pain of this world is gone.

14. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    A fly in the Champagne

Pick this vid up. Lots of great footage of Andy and a good story about the rivalry between him and Slater. I bet Slater is happy they made their amends before this loss.

Now with this tragedy, this video is going to be a classic along with any other videos with a lot of footage of him.

No regrets. Treat every day as if it's your last. Pray for comfort for his family and close friends.

God bless.

15. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Totally solid vid.... What a sad story, too sick to fly and dies in a hotel room ...alone. RIP

16. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    People are way over medicated and dependent upon pharma these days, e.g., sleeping pills.

17. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    It is unclear why Irons left PR for such a long flight while suffering from dengue. Seems like the last smart thing to do. The Island is well-equipped to treat this disease properly. Exposure to in-transit elements could not in any way have been helpful, quite the opposite.

18. xJohnnyUtahX

xJohnnyUtahX Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    The mans dead....Celebrate his life and please leave the speculations out.

It dont matter how he died, It mattered how he lived

19. bauer

bauer Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    well said

Its tough when someone young dies suddenly.. AI was my least favorite surfer wathcing his vids his attitude well I dont want to talk bad about someone who just passed so I wont.
    Sorry to say but I believe he OD'd once he didnt show for PR I thought he was strung out somewhere then I heard he called out sick a day later then died.. How could no one notify the contest to say he is sick? Come on people you dont just no so when your sick and not have your manager or someone in your entourage call in for you.. Who would let someone so sick fly all the way home to Hawaii? Thats really irresponsible who would allow that to happen?? If so sick then you had to layover why not go to ER none of this makes sense....Sorry to say but it just doesn't . As a society we puty pro athletes up on a pedalstol and they are just talented humans but still human...not heros(some are) but most are self serving..nuff said
    sorry if this pisses off some of you guys who some how feel that AI is a hero but when I watched this vid I surf because I dont see what most of you see he sounds like he did in all his vids spioled kid who quits when he looses his eyes looked bugged out ..
    Any way prepare yourselfs for the shocking truth if it ever does comeout..

20. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Wow what a totally shocking and unexpected loss. AI was a surfing LEGEND and his name will live on forever in the history of surfing. Basically the only guy able to completely stop Kelly Slater. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

His cause of death is unknown but friends/family said that he was suffering from Dengue Fever and had to withdraw from the PR contest. With that said, check out this link about Dengue Fever.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/215840-overview

There are some reports that Methadone and Sleeping pills were found in his hotel room and that he had struggled with substance abuse. These are all rumors at this point. I pray that this did not contribute to his death. Dengue Fever has a mortality rate of less than 1% and the majority of people who die from the infection are young children. This infection is accociated with intense headaches, body pains and high fever, which might account for the methadone(Pain Killer) and sleeping pills. This is complete speculation and i absolutely do not want to make any judgment calls until the toxicology report, but it seems that the drugs could have played a roll in his untimely death. Methadone mixed with sleeping pills alone is a very dangerous combination let alone the complication of a very dangerous viral infection all adds up to a very sketchy situation.

Regardless of his cause of death, i was truly saddened by the news. Its weird because i watch a lot of sports and have seen plenty of musical heroes and sports athletes pass away but there is something special about the surf community. After seeing this guy in so many interviews, movies and video segments i kind of feel like i knew his personality. It is a very very sad time for surfers, and i hope everyone shows their respect in one way or another.