i will never surf again!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by wavejunkie, Nov 5, 2010.

1. wavejunkie

wavejunkie Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Everytime i surf i get a sinus infection. its gotten to the point where its just not worth it anymore. i am more passionate about surfing than anything else i have ever done in my life and absolutely live my life according to the surf forecast. if i spend a half hour in the ocean, i cant breathe out of my nose at all for 3 days. i feel like a part of me died today, but its just not worth it anymore.

2. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Have you tried surfing at a different location?

3. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Don't surf after a hard rain.

4. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    I've been plagued with sinus infections my entire life (I'm 42). I used to get them about 6 or 7 times in the winter and 3 or 4 times in the summer. As I got older, it got worse. About 2 years ago, a friend (physician's assistant) told me to get a NeilMed Sinus Rinse kit and flush out my sinuses. They're about $12 to $15.

I flush everytime I've been in heavily dusted areas, surfing and just feel stuffy. If you can blow your nose, you can use it. If you're so stopped up that nothing comes out when you blow (or breathe through) your nose, it's too late. You can only do it if there's some passage.

Even if you do get a sinus infection, it'll help clear the mud out of your head. Works for me.

5. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
  6. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    See an allergist. Trust me

7. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    before you paddle out next time stick a tampon in each nostril :D

8. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    or go see a doctor. i know this past winter when i broke my nose in 2-3 places i had to get surgery on it to help my breathing and reconstruct my nose. but the doctors gave me some spray stuff for when it get clogged called ocean spray that stuff works magical so i defiently reccomend it.

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

epic. i would love to see someone do that! :eek:

10. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Get the sand outa your vag, or change your moniker. Some "Wave junkie" you are.

11. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Yes, I agree... You might have allergies.

I have problems when I surf too, because I am often congested due to allergies. Then, when I surf, I often get water trapped in the sinuses, which magnifies everything.

If you think you might have allergies, getting the allergies treated should help you out tremendously.

But, regardless, using a neti-pot to flush your nasal passages is helpful. Also, if you have any problems with your ears, you can use ear plugs and/or dry/disenfect your ears out after every session with a 1 to 1 mix of alcohol and vinegar (or some use hydrogen peroxide).

One more thing, after a surf session, try to get that post nasal drip going by just bending over for a minute or two. That will flush out the water that is trapped in there.

Try these steps, and hopefully you'll find some relief from the sinus infections... I know how you feel.

12. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I get that post nasal drip every single time lol, it feels like weird but i really dont care what happens as long as im in one piece and I have a good session lol

13. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Yo from the looks of your pictures I'm guessing you surf ventnor/AC area. You should try to stay out of Atlantic City cause the water is pretty dirty there IMO. I get sinus infections when I go there after it rains (not sure if the runoff has anything to do with it). Other beaches may have cleaner water which may or may not lesson the likelihood of you getting sick. But I totally hear you about how much they suck:(

14. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I live with sinus infections for 3/4 or the year. its completely worth one good ride. I use nasonex witch is good. it really breaks down everything.

15. avonsurfernc

avonsurfernc Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Its that yellow foam in NewJersey caused by partially treated human waste. Most municipalities cannot handle the influx of the summer crowds. Though they will never reveal that to us. I know, I grew up in Ocean City Nj from 1960 -2000 and saw that Ocean quality deteriate over that span. I don't care how good it gets I have a hard time surfing in that water. Now OBX is so freaking clean on the other hand. Makes me never want to leave this place.

16. surfergirl12

surfergirl12 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    never surf again

i surf coast of oc md and assateague and i always have sinus issues. i just learned that i have h-pylori, a nasty bacteria in the stomach that causes ulcers. since the origin is thought to be water, food, saliva and feces it is quite possible i got it from the ocean. others need to be aware of this as 3 out of 4 people have it. my passion is surfing and i dont see anything stopping me from continuing. i hope you suck it up and start using a netipot and other holistic means to help your problem. if you stop surfing you wont be happy.

17. jeskonutz

jeskonutz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    buy a Netipot. been around forever n works wonders. I use one and it works

18. CM-Surf

CM-Surf Active Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I only get sick or messed up if I surf during or the day after a large amount of rain. If I do go out during these days I make sure to at least wear a hood. It won't completely protect you but it will keep out most of the water from your ears and from most of your face. Even if you dont need a hood I still wear one(unless if it is actually very warm out), id rather look dumb than be sick, I just pull it down when im sitting waiting for a wave.

If I fall I make sure not to open my mouth at all, since usually when I surf i dont care and spit water out.

By doing this I have only gotten noticeably ill twice in the past 3 years.

19. El Porto

El Porto Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I had the same problem for much of my adult life. Last Novemeber I had an outpatient sinus surgery that they call the "roto rooter". Basically a sinus scraping that was uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I expected. I have not had a sinus infection since.

20. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    can you explain further the "roto-rooter", and why your doc had you do this? I recently had a turbinate reduction surgery... and unfortunately it was the wrong thing to do.