R.I.P Andy Irons

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DaveyB, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Regardless of what pills were found, it doesn't matter...he still was an unbelievably talented surfer and family man...It makes me sick to think that people want to rush to judgment and call him a junkie...give me a break, he was a 3-time world champ...he was ill, I'm sure he had prescription drugs, so would anyone in his shoes. We are finally getting some solid swell this weekend, I think we should all keep him in our hearts and minds when paddling out, even if he wasn't your favorite surfer or thought he was too cocky, he was a human being and we are all flawed in some way or another.

R.I.P. Andy
    My deepest sympathy goes out to the Iron's family and friends...

2. iwrider

iwrider Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Hear they found illegal perscription drugs on him. If so what a shame.

3. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    no offense but some of you pricks are acting like girls. He's dead Jim.

4. OCsp0nger005

OCsp0nger005 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    sure he was not an "addict" but popping to many pills at the time of being supersick, wasnt a smart move. RIP

5. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    It was apparently his second time getting dengue fever, and getting it your second time is a lot worse. It causes extremely painful muscle and joint pain and intense headaches. I'm guessing he couldn't take the pain and popped a little too much. he was getting back on track enjoying the tour again. tragic

6. Behind The Sun

Behind The Sun Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    "I've had my fair shares of hills and valleys, but my life's been radical and exciting. Stuff that kings would die to do. Straight up, ****en A. The lifestyle we've got and the life I've led since I was 17, I can't even tell my friends. I try and tell stories and they think I'm making it up or saw it in a ****ing movie.
    Straight up. It's the life I wanted since I caught my first wave."

Andy Irons, October 12, 2010.

7. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    Dengue Fever is bad, but very common in tropical regions. My wife has had it several times and basically everyone who has grown up in tropical regions has. The AP said they found Xantax and Ambien in his room, and he was found dead in his hotel room, so sounds like an accidental overdose. He probably couldn't sleep and took too much, so sad. He was definitely one of the best.

8. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Yeah, I love the part when he's talking about the wave Kelly got overscored with a 9.5 he's like:

"yeah he did like 3 turns that were pretty good and then fell on the fourth"

That makes me laugh every time I see it.

Then he admits that he's been overscored too. Stand up guy. Glad they went on that boat trip together.

That movie is now a staple in my collection.

9. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I read somewhere that he was admitted to a hospital in PR. But, then he wanted to go home to see his own doctor and be with family.

10. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You might not be able to find Methamphetamine at your local pharmacy, but there are plenty of alternative Amphetamines which are prescribed(Aderol). It is very sad to see another victim of the pharmaceutical corporations.

11. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
  12. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I know Andy was watching down on all of us last friday 11/5. Thanks for sending us some epic waves Mr. Irons.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  13. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
  14. *McLovin*

*McLovin* Active Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Wow this is a sad story. I was shocked when i heard he died. I feel sorry for his brother and family. RIP Andy Irons

I'am McLovin!!!