Article about Slater's obscurity outside the surf world

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by njsurflaw, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    This line is sick..."Surfing may seek attention, on occasion, but mainly so that it can invite that wider world to kiss its ass."

I think it does a decent job at trying to provide a reason why Kelly hasn't gotten any acknowledgment from the outside world, as well as gives him credit where its due.

Though, some of the insights into surfing are bogus...like saying that turns in surfing are borrowed for skateboarding. I'm no historian, but i think he's got it backwards

2. conway

conway Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2008
    I think the author was referring to more progressive turns and airs, things that surfers hadn't been doing until the last decade or so that skateboarders started doing two and three decades ago. He just didn't word it very well.

Anyway, a lot of the points the author makes are valid. Slater's not widely acknowledged because he's rarely seen by many people in this country, and when he is, a lot of them have no frame of reference to put the difficulty of what he's doing on a wave into context. I think that most of Slater's best waves take as much skill and athleticism to pull off as any highlight reel touchdown catch in football or big dunk in basketball, but people who don't know anything about surfing or the ocean won't have a clue because they can't put it in perspective. That makes them write off or just not care about his achievements because they don't understand.

3. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    We all had this exact same conversation in a previous thread. I basically raised the question as to why Kelly Slater, the most dominant individual athelete (In any sport) of my life time gets no love. It was based on his sh**y cameo on Sportcenter a couple weeks ago. It was like he hated being there, and despised the entire situation. And they basically made it sound like a joke. Childs play. When truely, what kelly does and has accomplished eclipse those of Cyclists, Golfers, Swimmers.

I mean, no sh**, Kelly slater has accomplished more in my opinion than Michael Phelps. Michael phelps is sick, but has been able to swim in the same pool, doing the same laps, hundreds of times per day, every day of his life.

Kelly has had to travel, hunt waves, learn in ever condition. Dominate every continent, every age group... Dominate the ocean itself. A feat never accomplished by anyone.

I think this article raises a lot of good questions, makes a lot of good points, but I dont think they overall opinion is spot on. I think that Kelly, at one point sought after acceptance, and the mainstream, but he just never liked it. I think Kelly Himself decides that he does NOT want to be on TV. He doesnt want to be on Leno every night.

I think a ton of people would fall in love with Kelly Slater and Surfing. Even people in Kansas, but Kelly, being the KING made the decision a long time ago that HE personally doesnt want that part of the lime light, and that cast a shadow on the sport as a whole.

Kelly represents us, so until he starts taking more TV spots (Which he is offerred all the time). And making more video games, and doing all that... But as long as he keeps the illusiveness to himselg and surfing, we will all be viewed that way...

I dont know his whole story, but apparently, Kelly didnt like everything about his youth and stuff, and he is a quiet dude. Doesnt want to talk to people...

I mean, who does kelly slater date? Who knows... ya know?

4. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    And I think of surfing on a competetive level. I love to compete in surfing. Its a rush that a free surf will never give you. And people who love to compete in any sport just want recognition. I mean, when guys are out working hard and going after a goal, they just want to be accepted. They want people to understand what they sacrifice to get there, and why people on the beach cant just grab a board and go do that. I think that is how a lot of people in the surfing community feel, although we all hide behind the whole "No one else should ever learn to surf. I dont want you to know where I surf. I dont want you to crowd my beach... blah blah"/... But deep down, i think most of us would like to be recognized when its due.

5. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
  6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Surfing is mostly a turn off for the people who don't (or CAN'T) do it.

7. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Or they still think surfing is the way it used to be. A bunch of beach bums, living off the land and free loading. Smoking pot on the beach. "Sticking it to the man" and all that.

It just isnt like that. Its all the losers that can't surf that are busy doing that. Any guy who takes surfing seriously has to pay for his toys and his water time. Surfing has evolved into an acceptable lifestyle. Nothing like seeing your boss in the lineup. A nod and a smile.

8. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    surfing is not a sport for bystanders
    its one of those things that can only be expierenced to be understood
    its like trying to explain a beautiful sun set to a blind man

9. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    and a prayer to god, that you dont drop in on him.