Go Pro Camera

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by HaoleNJ, Jan 2, 2011.

What do you think about go pro films?

1. always SICK!

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. makes me nauseous/ looks STUPID/ always edited POOR.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Only sick when pulling to to MASSIVE BARRELS!

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    just wanted to see what people thought about go pro footage.

2. SurfingOC912

SurfingOC912 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    The worst thing to hit surfing since webbed gloves...

3. TheWizard

TheWizard Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    i want one to mess around with
    for the price i think its defiantly worth it.

4. iwrider

iwrider Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Think Darkfin webbed gloves are pretty sweet. Never used them but they look alright.

5. OCsp0nger005

OCsp0nger005 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    very unreliable, and breaks. BUT gets some sick footy

6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    They are fun for fooling around and making funny surf videos of myself and friends. You can get some great still shots by going frame by frame as a wave barrels over you. Even if you were crushed a second later in real time it is really wild to get a picture of the wave curling over your head. Also I have so few pictures or video of me surfing it's the only way for me to get a view of what I'm doing right or wrong. I have a head strap for my motorcycle helmet which is cool. I like them.

7. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
    got an HD one for christmas and im STILL waiting for a freakin swell to test it out

8. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    advice! need help

i wanted to try one

but im 6''0 and ride a 5''9

to stick the gopro in front i feel would give a to close angle and will look dizzy

would it look nice on the tail of a shortboard ?

all footy ive seen was on longboards or savage tubes

if anyone has footy of a gopro on a real shortboars please share

thanks...

9. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I had a go pro still camera when they first came out. They are cool. You just have to use the buddy system. I would drag a buddy out with me and we would take turns snapping shots. That way you dont mount the thing on your wrist or board... I would just give it to my buddy, he would swim out into the impact zone if it was big and just take a handfull of shots. And then he would sit over on the shoulder to get the perspective from above looking down at the bottom turns and stuff... That is a really cool angle. If you can get someone to float on their board sitting on their shoulder, you can set up really cool shots. You can do nice sprays and setup your turns right in front of the camera, but my personal favorite is the perspective from the shoulder down into the flats. If you dig your hand and do a deep bottom turn, the perspective makes the wave size look huge. I took shots of a friend on a 4 foot day and the perspective makes it look 10 feet.

So, I would use the buddy system. It just sucks, cause sooner or later, you gotta switch and take some photos of them. Sitting in the impact zone is not always that fun.

10. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    staystoked

I am 6'1" and ride 6' boards. I have mounts on both the tail and the nose. The mount on the tail has to be raised up or all the water flowing over it blocks the shot. You would be surprised at how much water washes over the tail of a board when you are just catching the wave or making a turn. Also some of the pictures and videos probably were taken on a short board, the camera really stretches them and makes it look far away. Here is a picture of me with the camera mounted on the front of a 6'2" board 6 inches from the nose.

[​IMG]

11. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    WOW thats sick bro

do you got any more pics or vids on a shortboard i can see ???

12. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Glad you like it. Here are a couple more taken on another small day Waist - Chest max, tiny barrels and really crunched up to get my head in them. lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    The funny thing about these cameras is how it changes your perspective on surfing for good and bad. An example would be this, one day I took the camera out and recorded every wave I caught, from the minute I started paddling to the minute I kicked out. I would then shut the camera off and paddle back out. I surfed for close to 3 hours and caught a ton of waves, some that I thought were incredible where I pulled off some big turns and floaters etc. When I got home I was excited to check them out so compiled them all into one "long" video. Well guess what after 3 hours and a ton of waves, maybe 35 - 40 of them, the video totalled up to just under 3 minutes long! And those incredible waves where I was ripping like Kelly Slater, well they were indistinguishable from 90% of the other waves. The camera also tends to flatten the waves since it is moving at the same angle so unless it is shoulder high plus expect it too look knee high at best on playback. I think part of makes surfing fun is the adrenaline rush etc that makes that tiny little turn feel like a huge roundhouse etc. Time slows when you are on a wave but back at the house while you relax drinking a cup of coffee and watching the video it makes you humble.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  14. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    you got any tail shots? ... or that vid you mentiond before?

15. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Sorry none of the tail shots worked out. I wouldn't dare post the videos, lol. They really suck and I would be embarrassed for anyone but close friends to see them. I'll see if I can piece together a few of the least embarrassing clips and post them.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  16. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Love it because of the footage it gets but it's mad annoying on the board.

17. VAsurfer604

VAsurfer604 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    when mounting the camera on your board do you just use the adhesive mounts that are included or do you have to get the special surfboard ones? i got the regular 960 one because it was a hundred dollars cheaper but i didnt get the surfboard specific mounts,

18. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Yes, this.

19. JERSEYboarder

JERSEYboarder Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    ive got the kodak playsport and its a pretty good camera and has hd footage and 1080p and 720p 60fps
    and its super cheap

20. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    what kind of POV angles can you get with that?? and whats the odds of losing it in the water ? allll i need to know :) thanks