winter trip

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rideacarr, Jan 2, 2011.

1. rideacarr

rideacarr Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    whatsup, im trying to take a winter trip somewhere warm with a consistent break. im looking to stay for a week in late january or sometime in february. only trying to spend between 450-600. what would you guys suggest? i was thinking PR, but idk. Would driving down to the east coast of florida be worth it? Also, I am going to the bahamas with my family over spring break. I know there is no surf where I am staying (atlantis), but is there anywhere on the island where I could surf?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    450-600 would probably be your roundtrip ticket to PR. Other than that, you need to factor in a place to stay, transportation, etc. It would be cheaper to drive to Florida but then again you need to factor those in as well.

If you're looking for a good time and better breaks id say PR

3. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    nahh i recently got round trip jet blue to pr for 330 with tax ...JFK to aguadilla

4. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    plus board charges though... 100 each way

5. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    according to jet blue .com

50 each way i think it doubles with the amount of boards you have

6. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Depends on what you consider warm. West coast (US) flights are about 250 round trip. Southwest doesnt charge bag fees. There is always constant swell in Jan....

Again, its not tropical, but you will certainly have more consistent surf than the caribbean for sure and nice air temps.... good luck.

7. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    whats your priority? surfing in boardies? or consistent swell?

also with that price range. your best bet would be trying to crash at a friend or family members place to avoid paying for a room.

ps i got a round trip to PR couple weeks ago for 330 too. got lucky and paid 50 round trip for two boards.

8. rideacarr

rideacarr Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    i wouldnt mind wearing a 3/2 suit. def wanna be in warm air though. i was thinking socal maybe, my friends went in september and they said it cost 450 all together flight,room,food. they just used a cruiser board to get everywhere.

9. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    no to steer this thread in another direction, but I am also planning a trip for fall or early winter to PR...I'm thinking Rincon area, but really not sure 'cause I've never been there...anybody have any suggestions on an area near a lot of good breaks?

10. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    im going next week so ill let you know

which reminds me

anyone have suggestions or advice on rincon PR, like best right hand point breaks , or whats the deal with the night life ??

11. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Have fun! ...definitely let me know how it was when you get back...

12. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    montana for some deep powder!!

13. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    its a far drive if youre staying in rincon (like 2 hours) but if youre looking for awesome night life hit up old san juan one night. tons of bars and clubs with all kinds of different atmospheres

14. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I think either PR or Calif. is your best bet. I've done winter trips to both. I would base the decision on what kind of fares you find. Look for mid-week flights and I think you'll find a deal.

I once did a Feb trip to the Santa Cruz area, and stayed for real cheap at a KOA campground outside Santa Cruz. They have little log cabins and give you an electric heater. Campground was empty and they had a hot tub going, which was awesome after surf. Water and air temps felt nice and warm compared to east coast winter. 4 ml suit was fine. Highly recommended.

15. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    JFK and Newark are nightmare airports. If you can, fly out of either phily or AC depending on here you live. Check out Spirit Air.

16. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Jet Blue is the largest purchaser of duct tape in the US .........

17. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    FALSE

I heard they buy less duct tape now.

...and buy regular Scotch tape instead.

18. surferboi0911

surferboi0911 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2007
    went to PR in november, spent 224 (that's including all taxes) roundtrip from JFK to aguadilla. JFK was a breeze to get through at 4am. only got charged $50 each way for a coffin with 3 boards in it. my buddy didnt get charged at all cuz the clerk just counted his coffin (2 boards) as his regular checked bag (1st bag is free).

you definitely want to go/stay in rincon, and having a car available is great to get up to aguadilla and the north coast for some different looks (talk to some of the local folk and they might hint to a couple little secrets :D). as far as nightlife, there's a couple cool little bars in sandys (casa verde, pool bar) and over towards marias, but definitely try to go up to old san juan 1 night, check out the fort, and go to the local bars

19. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    My 2 cents: you may want to consider Barbados.

Airs to Barbados for last half of January are cheap for some reason. JFK-BGI on JetBlue as well as on AA are only $ 391 RT economy. Same for RT from DCA-BGI. On that island you'll get waves of some sort every day. Lodging can be had for 60 usd per night & up. Food is the expensive part because so much stuff is imported onto the island. (Gasoline is pricey, too.) But, if you stick to the local fresh fish products & Banks beer you can do ok.

Second trip: wheels down BGI in only one week. :D

20. staystoked

Dec 27, 2009
    hows the drive from rincon to san jaun ?

any one ever do it

is it chill or is it mountain cliffs with no gaurd rails like dring in costa