California dreaming

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Scobeyville, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SeaDaddy

SeaDaddy Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Agreed because you were square on for the Bermuda High wind swell that is the only thing that can keep us surfing in the summer.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Go. Absolutely go! . SDSU is really a good school, in a great city. Pretty good academic programs. Excellent atheltic department. Overall, a really good school to get the over all college experience. AGAIN, send some mail out here to try and score in state tuition by next year. If you can do that, you can convince you parents to put you up in a room in Pacific Beach with the leftover money you saved from being an in-state student. It will be many thousands of dollars each year.

Good luck. But for sure, if you love the ocean, and surfing and want a good education, I cannot think of a better place to be in the WORLD, much less the continental US. You will have the girls, the grades, the waves, the weather... The world could potentially be your b**tch when its all said and done... You can wake up every morning, get a sick surf in and spend the rest of your day studying and going to class. This could be your life. Everyday for 4 years straight. Think about it....

Good luck to you.

P.S. If you end up out here, look me up, or P.M. me for some part time work.

Half my staff is now transplants from VB and stuff. Its funny.

3. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    SDSU is a great school but keep your grades up all of your senior year! my friend got in there last year, but in the 4th quarter of his senior year in high school he got a C in spanish, but a B for the year, and he got a letter in late JULY saying they revoked his admission because of the C, IN ONE QUARTER. I never thought colleges actually did this until it happened to my friend. So, my friend didn't go to college this semester and sat on his ass and today just left to go to Chapman University in Newport, Ca to start college. Just a words of wise

4. NitsuJ478

NitsuJ478 Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    it sounds like an absolutly amazing lifestyle. but when you say send some mail out there, what exactly do you mean because i would love to pay in state tuition rather than the out of state which is much more $$ and live right next to the beach. It would be dream come true.

5. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    The first step in authenticating your in-state status is to have mail addressed to you, in the state of CA. Bills etc work the best...

But for instance... If today, you were to mail me a letter,with your name on it, but addressed to me, as if you lived at my address. The post marking that the post office puts on the letter while it is sent is the verification date of when you actually began living in CA. So, if you were to send me said letter like, tomorrow. Exactly one year after the date it is post marked, you would officially be eligable for in-state tuition...

Get it? You dont actually have to live here, but you have to have something mailed to california, with your name on it, and it must be delivered....

So, if i received a letter from you by lets say, this friday, you would be eligable for in-state tuition in your second semester of your freshman year.... next year I assume.

Anyway, google "california residency laws" "CA in-state tuition eligability" etc... There are other options out there, but when we moved here, all we needed was post marked mail with our names on it, delivered to a SD address....

Hope that helps.

6. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    that seems too good to be true...

7. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Like I said, I did it. So did the wife. So while it seems to good to be true, it is actually true.

People stopped hearing about all the "almost" free college edications in CA. If you live in state, they make it so it is ALMOST free. I mean, 2 years at a community college for $17 bucks a credit. Thats like 60$ per class... And if you go to SDSU, the semesters tuition is around $1000...

So, 5 years ago, when the economy tanked, the whole world heard stories of the state of CA being flat broke and all that... But EVERY perk that has been set up in the state is still available. Maybe thats why the state went broke, but at least college tuition is super cheap for state run facilities and CCs.

As far as the in-state thing. It is what it is. Mail the letter. You are officially a resident. Period.

If you move out here, stay ni a dorm and go home every summer, leaving your "permanent" address as a jersey address, they will rape you for money all 4 years... Beat them to the punch and get in-state tuition as soon as possible...

Another reason why living in PB as opposed to the dorms is a great idea. Because then, you are 100% a permanent CA resident. But again, get a head start and establish permanet residency as soon as you decide that you are coming....

I did it. The wife did it. Everyone who comes out here does it...

Look beneath the "overcrowding", the "broke state goverment", the "high houssnig prices", the earthquakes that the media covers... And instead, look at all the amazing things this state has setup and offered its citizens. It is a state unlike any other. They make it impossible for you to NOT get an education if you want one...

I think a lot of states could learn from that.

Most of the bad media attention about CA is just propoganda from people who live in the midwest or anywhere else. It helps people sleep at night thinking that california is always on fire, poor, overcrowded etc. etc.... People that live here laugh it off, while everyone else can get a good nights sleep knowing that it would be a bad choice to live in CA. IMO, the joke is on them....

Dont buy into the anti-hype. the state college stuff has been common knowledge for over a decade now.... The biggest scare was in 2005 when CC credit costs went from 11$ to $17... I mean, what a joke. A class at BCC in maryland costs like $600.... do the math,.

Its more expensive to go to Baltimore Community College for a semester than it is to go to SDSU if you live in each state respectively... think about it.

8. surfingboy65

surfingboy65 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I was just thinking of a way to get in state tuition since i am from SJ i have family that lives in SF and i was looking into going to Berkley anyone have experience there?

9. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Wow wish I know about this when I got out of hs in 1998. I would have went out to california instead of going to diesel school

10. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Same thing applies. I had an aunt in Santa Cruz before I moved out here that offered me residence at her home. Same thing with the letters. If you want to go to berkley, then you need to start establishing residency. Send your family some letters. Shoot, since its family, you should have your cell phone bill or something mailed there, and just pay it by phone....

11. NitsuJ478

NitsuJ478 Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    That definetly helps, thanks for the info. Im gonna try to mail some letters out there but i need to find some people to send the letters to. Hopefully i can do it and score in state tuition.

12. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I went to UNCW and looking back I should have gone for residency. A little different in NC, you essentially have to go there and live, work for a year before you can get in state, but looking back I would have saved $10's of thousands maybe close to $100k if I had gotten in state. And all it would have cost me would have been a year.

Also, during my college search I didn't even consider Cali. Looking back now, that should have been the only place I considered. I know if I had gone, I would still be out there.... living the dream. BTW: Zach, it was 3 degress here in JerZ this morning. Bet you're not missing that.

13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    That's pretty much what I figured, all the hype that California is about to self-implode is just driven by the media. My wife and I have taken trips to Southern California in the past 3 years, South Bay and SD area, and both of us loved it. This was at the peak of this recession, and everything was normal. The media makes it seem like there's poverty lines all over the place ala 1930s Great Depression era.
    It seems like SD is the place to be though, since LA traffic is nuts, and I'll be lucky to be living or working within a 45 minute drive to the beach in the LA area.

14. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I think the whole broke bankrupt state .....has to do with the fact that the state and local agencies are borrowing money like crazy just to meet their budget. Not people standing online for a loaf of bread. Basically, at some point if the salaries and pensions and grants and life styles the state and municipalities continue to be funded funny money...the bottom will eventually fall out. Not gradually either...like plop!

15. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    maybe if i was young i would do this. i turn 40 this year coming up in about six weeks here, i now have a house that i hope to be in for the next 14 years, and i have my own business now that i made over 100k with last year. i only have to work 25-30 hour weeks, and sometimes when it gets real busy even more, and sometimes i can work any hours i want so i can surf in the day, and work at night. i am now engaged, and my wife to be has a good job here doing what she loves doing body piercings. i can afford to take a trip to hawaii every year, and this year hope to be able to maybe two or three times. i had the chance in 1994 to move to san francisco. not my favorite place in california to live. not as warm, but definitely not nearly as cold as here! and i don't know if it's ever gotten to 14 degrees there like it is here right now! good surf up there though, but the waves are monsters. my best friend did move out there.

i have a friend who is 23, and moved out to san diego in september. first time on his own. he and two other friends moved from the jersey cape to san diego. my friend is a nurse so he had no trouble finding a job within days of arriving there. one of the other guys has his license to drive a parasail boat, and is doing that. san diego never appealed to me much. don't get me wrong it's a nice place, but if i were to move out there now who knows how long it would take me to sell my house that i haven't even owned for a year now! i would have to start my family living in a condo or an apartment, and go back to work doing what i do now[garage doors] working for someone else making $22-$25 bucks an hour which may sound like a lot, but we wouldn't be living as good as we are now. even if i was still working for someone else i would have never been able to carry all the freight in jersey. another thing about san diego i wouldn't like is i would NEVER wanna work, because i would wanna surf EVERY DAY ALL DAY.

when i retire i would like to find a place on oahu, and hopefully pack, and up move there. thats my plan. it's really warm all year round, we love it there, can trunk it year round, and living there really appeals to me. living on an island miles, and miles out in the middle of the pacific. near honolulu so my soon to be wife might even be able to find a piercing job in a shop down there if she still chooses to work. this is 15-20 years i'm talking. have to make enough money up here first. she was being considered for a job in denver colorado which is a nice place, but no ocean, no waves, a lot of snow. she wasn't interested. we did almost move out there for six months last winter, and we knew it would only be six months, but she didn't take it. i even have family out there who could have put us up for six months. san diego sounds real nice for a young person, and zach has made it sound very appealing, but i can't do that where i am now in life myself.

16. Kathy30

Kathy30 New Member

Jan 24, 2011
  17. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
  18. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    And just for the record. Like I have stated before. The wife and I got married last year. She is 5 months pregnant with our first child. We find out the gender next week. We live out here alone, and these 9 years have been by far the best time of my life. I am 30 now. My surfing is exactly where it needs to be. I never thought I would get to the level I have. I am content with everything.,...

So with that being said, we are very honestly considering moving to VB or OC MD soon. Our familes have offered us free housing, and all kinds of things in the baltimore/frederick area, but I could never do that... At least I dont think. Who knows.

But with the kid coming and life changing, I think it would be good for me to live by the beach back home, surfing when there is swell. A couple times a week if im lucky. I have had the luxury of surfing every day. And for years, it consumed me. Now I want to focus on other aspects of life, but STILL BE SURFING!@

So, while i do encourage everyone to live their own dream, and any surfer would love Southern CA... I have had numerous friend who have come and gone back home, and they all agree that the time they spent out here with me was the time of their life.

So, no one who is doing their thing, and owning a home and having a family back east should ever feel bad about it. Dont ever feel like you missed out. Besides, guys in San Diego longboard until they are like 85 years old. You can always come out here later in life. Go to HI for a bit. Travel. Once the kids are in college.

Whatever. you know? To each their own. I went to Towson, and was away from surf through college which I regret, but I never would have met my wife... If i stayed in OC MD instead of Baltimore for a few years, I may have never had the urge to venture west. But life in baltimore, all of those factors made me have to leave. So, I am happy for every decesion up to this point. College inland. Moving to CA. And now maybe moving back home and surfing with all you guys. Its all good you know...

Come out here for 1 year. 10 years. Foreever. Or never. life will let you know if you should do it or not. You will know. You will have to do it. Or you wont.

19. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I was in the same situation when I was 27. Go.

I went to Latin America for 8 months and came back fluent in Spanish, which helped me land a better job when I returned the US. And I was able to explain the gap in my resume by saying I was studying Spanish. Surfed Ecuador, hiked the Andes and spent a crazy month and half criss crossing Cuba. My on regret is that I didn't surf a bit more.

20. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    this is the best thing i have read in a long time, really rings true to me. i may not know right now but i feel some change coming in my life and will welcome whatever may happen...