Board advice-help!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Sensei, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I've been loggong for 15 years now. This is my second winter. I need a smaller board to deal witht the heavier waves that we see in the winter.(Steep drops and Barrels)

I'm 5'11" and 220 lbs. I know, lose weight. I'm working on it.

I've been hitting Belmar and Ocean City the past two winters.

What would be the best board for me? Any dimensions? types?

I would like to get all the advice I can before I have to talk to a local shaper.

All advice appreciated!

2. SeaDaddy

SeaDaddy Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I would check out Harbour Surfboards high performance models. I've been riding a 9 2" HP1 for years (high performance single fin) until I bought my 9 6" Bing. The board really could do it all, I could ride it like a shortboard or just glide and trim it like a regular log. For what your looking for their is a model call the Habanero which seams to fit the bill for exactly what your looking for. Do not go buy their size chart, go by your ability how in surfing shape you are. I'm 6 2" and can range from 170-185lbs and I could catch waves effortlessly, but the chart says I should have ordered a 9 6" or a 9 8". You can order one and get it through Heritage surf shop. My HP1 is in great condition and I am thinking about selling it. I can't post pics because I'm at sea working. http://harboursurfboards.com/surfboards.asp#highperformance

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

3. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The Bing D ick Brewer special is a good big wave board. Its next on my list to get in my quiver

4. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    BING 4 SPEED - Call Margaret at Bing - she will fill you in. That board is made to order for what you want. Jamie at Heritage can order you one.

5. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Digging it

Thanks for the advice so far. I started on an Ashton 9 6 . killer board. now ride a 10' Harbour 19. makes better bottom turns and that dble volan glass really helps you make some weak sections. Looking for something I can duck dive, make steep drops, get barreled, make a quick cut back, then do it again.

I've seen boards like : Hobe slugs, mini longboards, retro fish, spherical revolvers, that first fish on wynn's retro fish page. I need the buoyancy and a quality rail design to help me meet some of the demanding condtions of the north.

don't get me wrong, i love my log.

but damn, I just wanna get barreled all day sometimes. help a brother out.

I got it bad!

6. SeaDaddy

Dec 21, 2008
    Since you are already familiar with Harbour Surfboards and riding one, I don't know if you took the time to check out my suggestion on the link I provided. If you didn't here is the description. Habanero: Named after the world's hottest chile, the Habanero blazes! Tighter turning, faster down the line but not for the weak - this board really packs heat. With the super pulled in nose and diamond shaped tail, the Habanero is ideal for big fast hollow waves. Advanced surfers riding larger sized waves please!

If that isn't what your looking for just go buy a 7 6" pintail. That's what I bring to use when hunting large hollow surf...

7. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Harbour

I checked out that Habanero. It looks like the right model, but I'm thinking shorter. According to his scale, I'm still riding a long board. That pintail sounds more like it.
    Any models I should be looking at?

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

8. SeaDaddy

Dec 21, 2008
    Harbour's size chart

Do not go buy their size chart, go by your ability how in surfing shape you are. I'm 6 2" and can range from 170-185lbs and I could catch waves effortlessly on my 9 2";I could of went 9 0" no problem but the chart says I should have ordered a 9 6" or a 9 8". As far a 7 6" pintail goes what kind of fin setup are you thinking, single fin, tri, 5 fin Bonzer? Check out CI's Black Beauty, that just might be it. http://www.cisurfboards.com/sb_blackbeauty.asp

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. eastcoast

eastcoast Member

Mar 14, 2010
  10. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Sensei,

I've been in this boat. Same height. Same weight. Similar waves (Outer Banks). From personal experience, the time to shorten your stick is not the winter time. Added rubber, diminished paddle shape and restricted movement will be working against you. Long(er) boards can handle steep barrels, you hust have to find the right design.

In my opinion, your situation calls for a board, similar in floatation to what you currently have, but with soft 50/50 rails all the way back to just before the fin. Also, it's the only conditions for which I would suggest side-bites. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but personally, they just add drag in most of our east coast waves. The rails will hold you on the drop...not the side-bites. The side-bites will help with a more aggressive bottom turn, if you choose to do so. Maybe just a touch more rocker than what you would commonly use, but not a lot.

When you come out of the winter and start shedding rubber and weight, then size your board down. Just my two cents. Good luck. ;)

11. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Thank you

I apppreciate all of the advice. I'll look into all of those boards. Ray, you make a lot of sense too. I think I'll wait and keep researching. Maybe when things slow down a bit, I can try out some of these board shapes. I think half of the fun is the hunt anyway!
    Gracias!

12. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Hey SeaDaddy,

Do you know if Harbour offer eps foam plus epoxy resin option? I've always admired his boards but surf exclusively on epoxy (not pop-outs)

13. SeaDaddy

Dec 21, 2008
    Hand-Shaped EPS/Epoxy Surfboards

Yes, you have that option. Mine HP1 is a PU because I got it way before Clark Foam closed. If I ever order another I would get a EPS/Epoxy. Here is a link to give you the info. http://harboursurfboards.com/info-ha...-eps-epoxy.asp