Wall Surf Rack

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by zach619, Feb 13, 2011.

1. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    So, I am converting our second bedroom into our baby-to-be's nursey/room. So, I have to empty out my man cave that is filled with dozens of surfboards, golf clubs, snowboards and everything else that is awesome... I am putting most of it outside in our patio storage closet, but I simply dont have enough room for all the boards.

I have had a 6 board wall rack sitting in my closet that I never mounted. I figure I want to mount it in our master bedroom over on my side of the room and keep my top 6 boards from the quiver there, and keep the rest in the storage shed. Its the standard stained wood back, with 6 pipes sticking out with the foam covering on them. Same as you see in the shops...

So can I just drill this thing into the drywall, or do I need to go buy a stud finder and all that and mount it into a wood stud? There wont be too much downward pressure on it once its mounted, so im not sure how much stability it requires.

Or do you recommend trying to plug the drywall with one of those little plastics coverings and then drill a screw into that?

Any advice on the wall rack mounting?

2. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Hey Zach,Make sure its mounted real secure or you'll learn the hardway like I did.Wasn't too fun after a session and hanging my board on the wall walking away ,hearing a smash and seeing my $800 board laying on the hardwood floors.

3. S2Kreative

S2Kreative Well-Known Member

May 27, 2006
    Zach,

There are many different manufactures that produce mounting systems for drywall but when it comes down to it, the rack really should be secured to the studs behind the drywall.

Finding studs is fairly simple if you are living in a "standard" built house with studs every 16" on center. Some different ways of finding studs are looking for outlets and electrical boxes (they are attached to the side of a stud) and then knocking on the wall with your knuckle. Which ever side has a solid sounding knock verses a hollow knock will be your stud. From there you can measure every 16" away from the outlet and you should have a stud there. Just knock around a little bit and you should be able to tell. You can also use a power drill with a very small drill bit, plunge a little hole and if you hit wood, you have found it! It's harder to measure of off corners, windows, or doors because often times there will be non-regular spacing.

Another option with your rack would be to mount it horizontally that way you could stand your boards up. You might be able to fit more boards that way.

Hope this helps!

4. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Awesome. I will do it the old fashion way with the knuckle knock. I plan on mounting it horizontally so the boards stand up. That is how it was designed. I just hope the two screw holes on the mounting match up with both studs. I will at least be able to match up with one. Thanks.

5. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    DAMN! That is terrible. Very good point.

6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    One thought, depending on how much you are mounting, you could also run a stud along the wall on the outside to mount your rack. That way, you are locked into a stud and you can also paint / stain the outside stuck to match the room. Good luck

7. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I am gonna be buying a set of racks too to mouth my boards Horizonally. I planned on getting the T-Rax 5 board rack . Just make sure you find studs to mount your and use good length screws at least 2 and a half inches to get a good bite into the stud and you should be fine

8. Robertstb

Robertstb Active Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a T-rax and highly recommend them. I had to frame in my own studs in the basement and have no issues with stability. Prior to rack i had issues with dings on the tail from standing them up and leaning them against the wall. Its well worth the money to invest in a good rack and to install them properly.

9. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Weird this topic came up today, i just built a wall rack in my garage this afternoon. I had been thinking about buying some racks, but instead decided i could build some for way less $$. Cost me 40 bucks at home depot, + some scrap lumber i already had.

I've got 11 boards and a windsurfer in there, with some room to spare....

[​IMG][/url] photo by epidemicepic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

10. epidemicepic

Feb 21, 2008
    and yes, i'd say its very important to securely fasten your rack to the studs.

11. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    those are nice did u pre drill into the lumber so the dows sit in the lumber making it hold more weight or all they just flush on the surface

12. epidemicepic

Feb 21, 2008
    the dowels are set in 2 inches deep, with glue, and a screw from the back lol

it would not have held the windsurfer or the wood board on the bottom with just a flush mount

13. MATT JOHNSON

Oct 11, 2009
    Kool I have a 4 board rack outside but they are to keep the boards standing up . I leave my boards in a shady spot on the back of the house in the summer cause its alot cooler than my shed

14. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Got a garage or room in roof top of shed

Lowes makes a lightweight adjustable steel overhead rack thats what i use in my garage. No wall space taken up. i use a small step stool to get boards down or whatever, trust me that shed/ garage / stoarge space will fill up real quick once the baby comes. THe overhead storage keeps the boards super safe!

15. h20man

h20man Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I did something similar to Epidemic but made mine a little more heavy duty for the longboards on have on the rack. All materials were bought at Lowes, total price under $40 I think. Second pic shows the metal rods that hold the boards without the foam around them. I have had this setup for over a year with no problems. Right now this one rack holds a 10' heavy log, wifes 8'6 longboard, 8' egg, 7' fish, and a blank I shaped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    since you will be mounting it horizontally so the boards stand up, I don't think you need to worry AS much about getting into studs as if the rack would be holding all of the boards weight. I would still shoot for studs though (at least 1) since the board will essentially be "leaning" on the rack and not being held by it.

A more accurate way to find the studs (although the knuckle knock is the fastest and easiest yet less accurate) is this:

At night, turn off the lights in the room. put a flashlight on the floor where the floor meets the wall shining right up the wall. Look for the nail pops. You will see small areas where the screws got spackled over and some will have popped. You will be able to follow them straight up and down the stud. Then as mentioned above. Grab the measuring tape and measure 16" in either direction to the next stud. This assumes your house was built to code. If you live in a condo or apartment (newer construction), there's a good chance your stud is steel which will take a little more effort to get a screw into than wood.

^ old carpenters trick.

17. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    i figured I'd recycle a thread for cluttering sake. I am downsizing in room, so I have to keep my boards (all 6 of them) in my room. So, my plan is to erect a 6 board (6 dowels) vertical surf rack, connected to a firm piece of 2 x 4 and nailed into the studes of my wall with wood screws. Then, ill probably lay down a yoga mat on the floor and pipe foam ( iguess thats what you call it, you know what i'm talking about) to cover the dowels. But my question is, which material should i use? I was thinking just wood, but pvc pipe is looking more and more intriguing. Also, just curious if anyone else built a vertical rack before, and I'm just curious on any tips they could give. Thanks in advance.

18. Sterling

Sterling Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    All great advice. For the pictures of racks posted they look sharp. The metal rods seem really efficient for longboards. Thanks.

The attached photos are a vertical approach. This is my first rack and I'm satisfied. Really quick and easy. Not the best for visual purposes, but functional. (You can always stain the wood to give it a different 'look') Mainly for shortboards, strong enough for longboards. I wanted to make a vertical rack and mount it to the wall, but this approach allows me to move the rack if need be. I recycled 2 x 6 by cutting them in half. I find a lot of people use some foam to rap around the dowes, but I haven't had any issues yet. I used carpet to rest the boards. I used 2 inch dowes with wood glue. One suggestion when drilling the dowe holes- angle them so the dowes have a slight incline. Cost under $30.

Hope this helps. PM for actual dimensions..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  19. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    so happy this guy lives with me

20. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    ha! Who catches?