Saw my first seal today.

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by MATT JOHNSON, Feb 21, 2011.

1. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    When I was making my rounds checking it I stoped in AVL and soon as I walk down the beach I was right there litterly 3 feet from me. I walked up to it and then it darted into the water.
    I never seen a seal this far south ever . Pretty cool and there is a first time for everything

2. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    A past swell in december i saw one while i was out there come up twice and just pop its head above the water, pretty cool haha

3. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    yeah this one was right on the beach like 4 ft from the access path to the beach pretty neat . I never seen them this far south . Farthest I south I seen them was Brig

4. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    one made the newspaper in Hatteras last spring.everything winds up there

5. mike hunt

mike hunt Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    see them almost every session in california ... never seen one on this coast but cool sight for sure

6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have seen them a bunch in OCMD.

7. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    i was there...which i only mention because i got the opportunity to talk to some marine biologist who was there "guarding it" on behalf of some organization. he explained to me that the only time these things come on shore is when they're injured or exhausted and need to recover. they'll climb up on the beach and chillax as long as they need to, then go back in the ocean as soon as possible.

i don't really know the first thing about biology, but it seems to me that, unlike west coast seals, these ones are far less accustomed to being around people. hence, the skittishness...or maybe not (?).

apparently they have all sorts of bacteria on their coat and will bite if you try to get too close, so don't go touching that thing!

8. DPR

DPR Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2008
    i saw one yesterday too just chilin next to me out in monmouth right before dark

9. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Saw a seal too yesterday late day. We talked for a bit. He said his name was dale.

10. pierpit1

pierpit1 Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    i've also seen several of them past two feb in OCMD

11. sjserpe

sjserpe Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    i never knew they came this far south, but in the obx last year i saw 2 of them the day after thanksgiving it was very stragne

12. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Looks like it might be good Friday afternoon huh?

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I usually see a few walrus in bikinis during the summer....

14. ragdolling

ragdolling Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
  15. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Really? Laying eggs? Seals are mammals...:eek:

16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    We see them fairly regularly up here in Northern Mo Co... I've seen them on the beach, on the rocks, in the Shrewsbury river... but mostly just fishing just outside the surf zone. Mostly Harbor seals, but once in a while a Grey seal. You can tell them apart by the shape of their heads... Greys have really long, straight, pointy heads, and Harbors have smaller heads with shorter noses. You can't go by color, because both come in different colors. Greys are bigger, too... but most of the time you only see their heads popping up.

One time I was out in Deal, early spring, nobody out.... and I'm sitting there on my board. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something pop up right next to me and at the same time hear this big sort of "snort".... actually, it was exhaling and blowing out water from it's nose. Scared the crap out of me. When I turned my head really quickly to see what it was, I kinda went, "whoa!" and then he did the same thing... he had come up right next to me, but facing the other way, so when I said, "whoa!" I startled him, too. He snapped his head around, looked at me with a big, round, dark, glassy eye, and in less than a half a second slipped right back under water without a splash.

17. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    i saw one beached this fall. It was alive but obviously hurt and must have been pounded by the surf. Rescue center came and picked it up. Poor little guy. They look like dogs with flippers.
    I also saw one cruising in the back bay while I was fishing. I thought it was a dog at first. When it noticed me it dove under and disappeared.

18. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Seal

I heard he puts on one good concert.

19. delawaredell

delawaredell Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Yeah me too. Several times.