does anyone know why the surf has been so down for the east coast this winter?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by 252surfer, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Please any scientific explanation would be greatly appreciated

2. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    La nina? Or maybe it's just punishment for a full summer of rideability.

3. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    haha yea your probably right. this summer was great for east coast standards. i hope we get another one just like it man

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    God is punishing us for our sins... I'm surprised you didn't know that. :rolleyes:

5. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    haha ruh roh. even the admin agrees thats not good haha

6. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Damn. I guess La Nina this year is really screwing us over here in virginia beach. Thanks a bunch man

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Still dreaming about September.....

8. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    haha yea i cannot wait for hurricane season

9. banxsurfer

banxsurfer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    The surf has been fairly decent on the Outer Banks. Plenty of waist to chest high days, and some small clean days as well. You just gotta hit it and not always read into the reports.

10. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    true ^^ there just havent even been waist high or in between days here. its either completely flat or big and theres only been like 3-4 times there has been any real rideable surf up here. i check surfline cams and here like 3 times a day just waiting for a day to paddle out on

11. wavejunkie

wavejunkie Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2008
    this has been the worst NJ winter since i've been surfing. I've noticed mostly all the storms haven't reached the coast before heading North. Last year was the opposite, with the storms riding up the coast providing us with ample South swells. So instead of the head-high/overhead surf that winter storms usually produce, they've been tracking up the coast further inland and only producing about waist high waves for half a day. there actually hasn't been a 6 foot wave in NJ since official winter started. exactly one month from the day until spring starts...i'm staying very optimistic...we are over due for something incredible and once it comes, it will make it all worth it. but we'll all be too out of shape to take full advantage, haha

12. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    damn im right there with ya man. if summer doesnt make up for it im gonna be angry haha

13. Willy

Willy Active Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Still nothing to write home about on the OBX! Hoping we get a Noreaster Soon. March/April/May is the season!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Better a dryspell in the dead of winter than summer, I guess, but this is getting ridiculous!

15. ColonelSanders

ColonelSanders Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I think I might head that way tomorrow! Looking really good!