GW Sharks...Cocoa Beach area....?

Discussion in 'East Florida' started by NateCB, Mar 18, 2011.

1. NateCB

NateCB Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I know this is the migratory season and all but is it just me or have there been more than the "normal" amount of sightings this year.

I'm not just referring to Great Whites but just sharks in general. Is anything venturing near the shorelines or are they staying out a bit.

I just ask because my fan and I will be coming to town next week and sounds like a decent ride if the fcst pans out.

BTW, is the water temps really about 75 already? (got it from magicseaweed)

Thanks....(BTW this is also my 1st post)... :D

2. NateCB

NateCB Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Sorry....

for the double thread, mod pls delete this thread....

frickin rookies...:eek:

3. number3181

number3181 Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Msw water temp is wrong. I heard all of the east coast fl bouys are offline. I'm in nsb and the water temp is 63. I normally take 10 degrees off msw for temp.

As for the sharks I haven't seen any yet and I live in nsb so I ought to have seen one by now. But, just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it wasnt there.

4. e-bot

e-bot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Inre the sharks, I'm not sure where you're hearing this, but I read as such in the Beachside Resident (http://thebeachsideresident.com/category/sea-level/) from the fishing reports and really wanted to vomit all over the fishermen who stated their singular, selfish point of observation as though it were more relevant or accurate than dedicated scientific research.

So, I can't say for certain if sightings are on the rise (there are definitely more people looking), but overall shark populations are definitely not.

I don't worry about it at all in Cocoa Beach or most of the east coast... (maybe New Smyrna Beach, actually), but not Cocoa.

And the water is still in the 60s. Bouys have been down as was said...

Cheers,

-e

5. NateCB

NateCB Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks...

Appreciate the replies...

Yeah I just read as stated in beachsideresident along with a couple other places of some "larger" fish than normal and definitely more sightings.

I just hope they stay away from the shoreline.

Also I checked our FLToday for SST and they stated near 70-71.

63 still sounds kinda chilly its thats the case....

Either way, hopefully its warm enough, if not I just wait a little while til the GOM warms up (I live in the panhandle....)

e-, have you been out lately? How does it look out there?

6. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I was just there a week ago. The water is 75 easily board short it. Don't worry about the sharks you will be fine

7. NateCB

NateCB Member

Mar 18, 2011
    thanks...

thanks for the info folks...

turns out it was too bad. The water was near 70 so not too bad. We drove on Sunday saw my folks Sun-Tue hit the beach WED-THU morning then left Fri. Really wish we would have hit the beach TUE as it was 4ft and clean but by WED it was more like 2ft. Thu was even worse but my 8yr old son was still trying to do what he could....

We'll wait til the waters warm and get out alot more often. Just with the GOM would hurry up and heat....takes forever! (granted it stays warm for a while too...):)