New Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DaMook, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I just picked up a pair of Oakley's. Its my very first purchase with this company. They're nice but 150$ eehhh bit high. I have sensitive eyes and i'm on the beach almost everyday in the summer so good specs are paramount especially a pair with polarizing lenses so the price is worth it i guess. just wondering though who has the Oaks, how scratch resistant are they?

2. DJFresh

DJFresh Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I've had my Oaks for 3 years now and not one scratch. Being so expensive I do take good care of them.

3. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm a Dragon guy myself.

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Got some E-wires a few years back. Not worth the buck, IMHO. But nothing is these days...

At least they have a lifetime warranty. im on my 3rd set of frames. Watch out though, warranty does not cover scratches, and replacement polarized lenses are about $90

5. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Has anyone ever gotten a "tour" of the Rolling Oakley Lab????
    -They had it at the belmar pro 2 years ago and at the Dark Fall premiere in AC.

You will understand why they are worth the extra few dollars.

6. Jeep_Builder

Jeep_Builder Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Costa Del Mar's here. If you've never tried a pair, I suggest checking them out. They are more for the Offshore angling kinda market but you can see through the wave and check bottom contour like nothing else man. They are stellar and comfortable. Also they make them with real glass with the mirror film between the two layers so they are darn near impossible to scratch.

7. 2MARG8

2MARG8 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Have a few pairs. I've had half jackets for like 7 years now. Best glasses I have ever owned. Even went ahead and got my everyday prescription glasses from Oakley. Love them too. enjoy them, they are worth the money.

8. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I always buy polarized Electrics and get them dirt cheap off Whiskey!

9. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008

ive got half jackets as well. sweet shades. the only prob is i didnt get polarized lenses so they arent super awesome at blocking the sun (worthless? lol). but they are sexy ahah

10. 2MARG8

2MARG8 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Half Jackets

Mine are the same way but still nice to be able to just get new lenses if they do get beat up. Definitely not worthless being not polarized, still great UV blocking tools!

11. mucker

mucker Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I didn't have a good experience with Oakley's. I had a pare of the something-wires about 10 years ago and the lenses scratched up easily to the point that the mirror coating was gone in places. I take very good care of my things and it wasn't a case of neglect. I was typically going through a pair of glasses every two years.

I went to Maui Jims after that and have two pairs. I have had one pair of rimless glasses for 6 years and the lenses developed a crack at the temples because they were crushed accidentally and sat on when I forgot they were sitting on the driver seat in my car. They replaced the glasses for a pretty small cost after I told them they were crushed and sat on.

The other pair is about 4 years old and have only one small scratch from when they dropped on concrete. I use them for fishing and general use year round and they are the best set of sunglasses I have ever had.

12. tsurfn

tsurfn Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2008
    i think smith makes some shades with the polarized actually inside the lens so that it cant scratch off,,,,as far as scratching goes i think no matter what you buy if you take good care of them they will last

13. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I like Native Glasses the do Rx aswell you got gotta call your Dr and get you Rx from them fill out the form that native has on the site and they will send you the lenses for a fee

14. kgirl

kgirl Member

Jun 20, 2010
    I have used Oakley's glasses for biking on and off road and snowboarding (goggles) for 17 years or so. The optics are excellent in cutting glare and the technology for sport specific glasses is up there w/ the best of them. But, I have ruined a few pairs of frames that were not replaced by Oakley and the lenses will scratch if not cared for. Keep your receipt. I just sent back a cracked lense and was told 1 year, With a shop pursuing your case, there is always room for bending the rules. When mountain biking and beaching, I am careful to rinse with water to get dirt and sand off. I always (try to remember to) use their lense cover/cleaner. No product is forever, but I've been pleased enough to keep up the purchases. Polarized definitely worth having around the water. You can see in the water w/ such clarity.

15. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
  16. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm very anal retentive about these new optics, as I had been with my older Hobie pair I paid 90$ for which lasted 4 years until my puppy chewed them up. I'm paranoid about bringing them to the beach because of the sand and the sunscreen, but i just have to be extra careful.

I just wish they would make polarized contact lenses. It would be awesome for early morning sessions when the sun is staring at you in the face.

17. kgirl

kgirl Member

Jun 20, 2010
    The damage I have done was mountin biking or defective product. I have rx and when I bring them to the beach, I bring the case and leave it in my board bag. They've been covered in sunscreen and some sand, but as long as you rinse them and use the oakley bag as a cleaner, they'll be fine.I even use glass cleaner on them after beach or biking (my thing, not oakley's suggestion) Really, it takes a good amount of abrasion like branches, rocks, or a drop on pavement to mess them up. They are not that delicate.

You mentioned contacts, do you surf w/ contacts? I have always been afraid to. I was almost about to get lasik surgery but bailed on that due to fear of infection or complications since I did not think I could commit to the time away from certain activities while healing. Good luck w/ the glasses!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  18. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    yup, i never wear my glasses unless I'm in bed watching TV. i have never lost a single contact surfing. i don't open my eyes underwater either, but i have briefly and still never lost a single lens. I did lose one mountain biking, without sunglasses. A branch grazed my eye and it pulled the lens right out. ruined my day...

i see your in NJ. Ever ride ringwood manor? great trails!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  19. stoked4swell

stoked4swell Member

Jan 12, 2011
    have a couple. they do get scratched. i actually had the oakley paint ware off of one of them so they replaced them. it was cool cause they were scratched too

20. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    i put my through the washing machine by accident and took them out thinking theyd be busted, but they are in perfect condition not a scratch on them