3/2 weather yet????

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by RVCA17, Apr 4, 2011.

1. JERSEYboarder

JERSEYboarder Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    i was waiting for you to step in! lol

2. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    First off, I didn't mean forever in the most literal sense.... i simply meant they last a long time.. Secondly, from 2009-2010 was there 1st generation wetsuit, and when they came out, so naturally since they are from santa cruz, they began with a 4.3 and 3.2. for 2011 they came out with a 5.4.3. Also, I emailed them a few days ago, and I got a personal response the next. Maybe you tried to contact them while they were still figuring everything out, I don't know. But, I think they'll going to become very popular soon

3. yetiatthejetty

yetiatthejetty Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I wear my 5/4 until like May. I hate being cold. If I'm too hot, thinner boots and gloves, and I drop the hood, but I would rather sweat than freeze.

4. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    i switch to my r3 above 45 and wear one of those dorky caps until it goes above 50. usually drop the boots and gloves at 55 and skin it at 65. i also have a 1mm top for windy mornings.

5. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008

yeah as i always say:

if you are too warm you can always flush yourself, but if you are too cold you are stuck like that until you (painfully) add more layers/thickness

also, my god i wouldve loved to see people out today in a 3/2. i was chilly in my 5/3. that wind was brutal on the face too

6. mike hunt

mike hunt Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Surfed saturday ina 4/3 with hooded poly flece shirt and was warm for 2 hours started gettin cold shortly after the two hour mark

7. Wetsuiter

Wetsuiter Active Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I NEVER understood the rush to strip down to thinner suits and be the macho psycho to be first out of his wetsuit each year. It is far easier to cool off by flushing your suit than to try to warm up from near hypothermia. The water is is still in the mid to upper 40s and THAT is what you dress for, not tempting air temps nearing 60. Keep the 5/4 for now.

8. Epic

Epic Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Not a matter of being macho and cool.. I hate the flexibility loss in the 5/4/3 and a hood.. it just plain sucks!!! Sucks i tell ya!!

9. Robertstb

Robertstb Active Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Fleece Shirts

Saw someone say that they wear a fleece shirt underneath their wetsuit. Does that work??? Also heading to VA beach this weekend it says the water temp is 47 is that correct.

10. Sterling

Sterling Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Yesterday surfed with 4/3 boots and gloves, no hood. Not bad, Repetitive dives got cold, but for the most part with the sun, felt great.

11. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    They are both correct.

In regards to the fleece question, anything you place between you and the water is an insulator, even (and especially) air. The one thing about using fleece is it will also allow the suit to flush if it's trapped around the neck o-ring and/or cuffs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. skunk patrol

skunk patrol Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    lol good answer!

13. frylock89

frylock89 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    every year this thread pops back up around this time....hahahaha

14. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    i don't know if you posted this before, but this is one of the best posts i've seen, and i would look at this to get a good idea. obviously give or take a couple degrees for different people this is a good one to follow. almost identical to what i would advise. last three times i been out i been in the 4/3. the water isn't even 45 yet though. 4/3 hood, and boots, and gloves. i usually go to my 3/2 in about mid 50 water. maybe a few below if the air temperature is warm or mild, or the sun is strong. i lose the gloves around mid 50s, and sometimes even 60, and the boots come off around 60 or 62. by 65 i'm usually just trunkin it unless it's one of those nasty days where the air temperature drops down below 65. i can see it won't be until late june or maybe mid june if i'm lucky before i can go just in shorts. just like two years ago when it took until the last week of june. i think i was trunkin last year first week of june. i was away for memorial day weekend, but i probably could have by then. i was in my 3/2 in mid april last year too. can see it won't be until mid june this year with the typical below average spring temperatures we've been having which seems to be EVERY year minus last year.

15. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    You're drunk.

16. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    give it i tryy.. you'll most likely die but i say go for it. btw the answer is no lol. Its not even 4/3 weather yet. I was out yesterday and i don't even feel like the waters warmed up at all since February.

17. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    that sucks! water is 50 degrees on the outer banks these days, close to it in VB (47)

18. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I've been going out all winter with a 4/3, a seperate hood, and 3 mill gloves and boots. Hasn't been bad.

19. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    how long do you go out for, half hour?

20. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010

Definitely Sticky worthy :)