Biggest wave you've ever ridden??

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by idsmashh, Apr 25, 2011.

1. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    6.3 ft, yeah dude, your probably right. Might as well just call it chest high....

Your probably right about Adam too ;) I edited to scratch out names, thanks.

SS my SS? Ok, have fun with that...?

2. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Screenshot your screenshot, havn't you seen Inception.

I'm on the third level. What you can troll from your computer in 5 minutes, can be trolled through your screenshot for almost 18.1 hours in that 5 minute timespan, and by the time we get to my screenshot of your screenshot that original 5 minute timespan has expanded to involve over 9.73 (repeating) years of trolling. It's pretty basic science you nerd. If we decend onto the screenshot of my screenshot of your screenshot, we could basically be stuck in an infinite time warp sword fighting each other endlesslessy with our epeens. This is the kinda consequence you start when screenshotting screenshots...so beware.

P.S. Since Lee keeps editing the picture here is the original screenshot

Attached Files:

3. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    The 50 year storm at bells bra!

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    im totally with you- its like the "inception" of trolling. And I like what you have done with the photo, good stuff.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Indian River

Did anyone surf Indian River inlet a few years back when OCMD and fenwick closed the beaches due to the hurricane? I forget the name of the cane but That was the biggest day for me and I was riding a twin fin holding on for dear life cause my regular shortie was out of commision that day- hholy crap it was scary and fun- had to have had a few hundred people in the water that day

6. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I'll post up 15ft NJ when i get home from work. That's right I said NEW JERSEY! :eek:

7. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Might be Ernesto you're thinking of..that seems like the most recent one where everyone surfed NSIRI in a pack after the Towns closed the beach. There were other jetties working tho...with fewer heads.

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes... DOH + New Jersey and rideable does happen. It's rare... but anyone that's serious about surfing here, has been around a while, and has the right board, knows.

I've surfed 15' Tres Palmas (on a rented board with a mis-matched glassed-on rail fin!)... and I actually think 15' New Jersey is more scary and more punishing.

9. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    overhead...maybe a little more...

10. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Paddled into a couple of stomach high bombs a couple times. Pretty hardcore :rolleyes:

11. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    wise words +1

12. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    dam lee you are a stud. that's a seriously sick shot. nice that you captured the session...

13. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm not sure anymore what the biggest surf I have been in. As I get more comfortable it seems like the surf gets smaller in my estimation. So when I was 12 I was sure I had been in 18 foot surf. At 18 it had gone down to 15 foot. As I started to get fat and old it stuck around 14 foot. Now that I'm in pretty good shape and have been out in lot's of different conditions I am sure that the actual face size top to bottom might have been 10 foot. If I was to move to Hawaii I'll bet in 2 to 4 years I would look back at my NJ, MD days and re-estimate the size of those past waves at 6 foot max. Does this make sense?

14. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    In it's rare form....Miss Atlantic....I wish I had more pics of this swell

[​IMG]

15. somuchsurf

somuchsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011

Tha'ts exactly how I feel. Went out on a big day last spring, sat out there for a while with my heart absolutely pounding and dropped in on a monster, got crushed. Paddled right back in...always good to know your limits!

16. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Augaholic, I'd call that 10-12ft. 15ft is a big f-ing wave, and i'd say my biggest wave i ever caught was something similar to this, or a foot or 2 smaller. It's not the size, but the amount of water (how heavy of a wave is) that frightens me. I'd go on a 13ft roller than a heaving 8ft wave anyday.

That being said, my perception (like zippy said, who i come to like more and more everyday) changes as i progress and get older. During Ernesto, the day before the perfect conditions (saturday i believe) I caught a solid wave in storm surf conditions, and was my only one of the day (I was fine with that, i was i think 15 at the time) and i'm guessing now it was probably 7ft. Hurricane bill, the day before the magical morning, (saturday again), I was out at around 5pm and It would break about a half mile out and would reform, I paddled out real far and caught a wave that made it all the way to the lineup that was still mostly white water, I stood up, dropped in, bottom turned, the thing jacked like hell, I pumped down the wave, and it started to barrel, and I was standing up in the barrel before it closed out on me. I think about that wave all the time, because i know if i didn't bottom turn and pumped the whole way i probably would of gotten spit out and consequently gotten the best ride of my life (damn). It was probably 8ft, and I get more humble about size everyday.

This thread has a lot to do with the afraid thread also, and the most scared I've ever been was when I went to Costa last april. It was solid 6-8ft the ten days I was there, and if you ever been to Hermosa you'll know its heavy as hell and closes out at around 7ft. Look at my photos on my profile, there actually from the day with the smallest surf the whole trip (around 5ft), and the most fun since it didn't close out. Sorry i don't have any pics from it was macking.

17. LegendJim

LegendJim Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    18-20ft face. PMPA, Bundoran, Donegal, Ireland. Made the Surfer's Path.

18. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    10-12 lol

The dude is over 6 ft. I know him personally. Now imagine him standing straight up. Add another one on top now you got 12' I still see water above. This picture in particular was taken during Earl which produced 12'-15' in NJ. I'd say this one was around 13'-14'

19. ECboarder

ECboarder Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    sorry bud but its 10-12.... if that. you don't measure by the peron standing at the bottom. you measure either from the back of the wave or how high the drop is. thats not over 10, maybe 12 feet. still gotta give you props for dropping in on that. thats a gnarly shot

20. Bad Bug Surfing

Bad Bug Surfing Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Probably 8 - 10 foot two years ago in OC. Late November Nor-Easter swell. Took me 20 minutes to get out. Then when i did, caught one wave 8-10 ft and paddled back out. Attempted to catch another bomb. When as soon as i got into the wave both f-ing legs cramped... all i could do is bear hug my board and hold my damn breath.... washed up on shore. contemplated going back out... went home instead.