escaping summer

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by staystoked, May 9, 2011.

1. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    i don't know if i will be able to handle crowded flat spells.

where is the closest most affordable surf trip to go on during July or Aug.

what destination gets good surf during the summer season ??

2. Toasted94

Toasted94 Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Theres a couple different places you can go. Mainland Mexico, Cabo, or Costa. These 3 places are all epic during the summer. In the summer Costa can get really big and heavy because its their winter. Mainland Mexico can be really cheap, but very dangerous. Cabo is empy and all the hotels are cheap because its very hot during that time of year. Cabo you can find very cheap hotels because its the off season and it can get very hot there.

3. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    my dude, soouthern california! im not doing shjt for the next 6 months, keep my fridge full of beer and my car full of gas and you got a floor to sleep on.
    That goes the same for any swellinfo members with 300+ post :cool:

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If "most affordable" is top prioorty I would second the southern california as a decent option...5 hour direct flight on Southwest R/T for about $400 and car rentals for $200. In case the sofa surfing gets old, California has tons of campgrounds on the beach, and cheap tacos onever corner. Southwest seems like they arent charging for boards lately...last two times i've flown, the clerks have let me and my friend skate. Their website says board bags are $50 so thats probably the most they could charge you.

5. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    THanks!

if costa gets good, do you think Nicaragua also gets good summer swell?

6. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    ****, I gotta get my post count up.

7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    go to Central America. Get a few bros to split a car rental, and your set and find a cheap place to stay. Central American pumps all summer from the Southern Hemi. You can go a week to two everything included for $1K and cheaper.

8. bags of jay

bags of jay Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    thought the same thing

9. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
  10. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    If you are talking about Costa Rica, I can assure you that it is not in the southern hemisphere... Therefore it is not their winter, it is the same season as the US..

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  11. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Bodhi

Bodhi Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I'd rephrase that to June or July; if you leave during August you risk missing a nice hurricane swell. That's if you plan on going to Central America. If you plan on going to the Caribbean and one of those things hits, prepare to get your balls out of your throat when the wave is over because they will most likely be dislodged on the drop. That is if they are not made of steel.

13. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    ^ Another point break character? We already have 2 Johnny Utah's and one has challenged the other to a death match. When are we going to get someone with a screenname "Gary Busey"?

14. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Member

May 9, 2011
    What seems to be the problem here?

15. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Costa has the same seasons as we do but they get the southern hemi swells in summer. I went twice last summer and saw smoking waves both trips. One in may one in august.

16. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Actually, Costa Rica has two seasons, summer (verano) and winter (invierno). And they are reversed relative to the US even though CR is not in the Southern Hemisphere. Verano is the dry season and runs roughly from December through April while invierno is the rainy season and runs from May through November. If you plan on going to CR during our (US) summer it will be their 'winter' (rainy season) and you'll want to head to the Central and South Pacific Coast not the Caribbean or Nicoya Peninsula.

17. jonmharrell

jonmharrell Active Member

Dec 19, 2010
    costa has a dry and wet season, and the wet season starts in june.

18. Bodhi

Bodhi Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011

Nothing wrong with it. It's a great movie and hey, bodhi rips. Swayze is the man anyways. It should be Angelo Pappas rather than Busey, although Busey would be a legit name because he is a crazy f@%&.

19. rustysrfr

rustysrfr Well-Known Member

May 29, 2007
    keep me posted on the trip plans

20. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    from what i understand..... dry and wet seasons (the monsoons) are not the same things as our summer-fall-winter-spring seasons. Summer in simply a calendar event that corresponds to a particular astronomical position of the sun in the northern hemisphere, i.e. beginning on the summer solstice June 21st. On the other hand, the monsoon is a seasonal shift in trade winds as well as atmospheric circulation. In other words one is an astronomical event while the other is a meteorological effect that is eventually the end result.

While the rainy season may indeed be called the 'winter monsoon' it is simply a misnomer. It is still summer this time of year above the equator.

Does that sound correct? There were some confusing sounding posts here...