new jersey beach badges

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Swellinfo, May 25, 2011.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    This one is easy...for police, these towns do not need lavish and highly paid YEAR round police forces. Keep a small full time token force, and supplement that with summer part timers like OCMD does. trash removal can be done by volunteers like North Wildwood does. lifeguards....the easiest way would be to pass a law that says a town can't be sued if someone drowns and then get rid of guards altogether. Even if you did want guards, they certainly don't need all the shiny new toys they get every year like jet skis and 4 wheelers. IF these towns cut the fat and trimmed back the salaries of their employees, they wouldn't need tags or insane parking fees.

2. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    eg.
    does sea bright and monmouth beach each need their own police force? certainly not. Each has it's own captain, lieutenant, sergeant, detective, ect...list goes on. total bs. The towns should be merge police forces. In fact alot of police forces around Monmouth County should be abolished and left to County Sheriffs Dept. Therefore one captain, one chief, etc...not dozens.

3. HollowDaze

HollowDaze Active Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I spent three decades of my life in NJ dealing with beach badges. In the old days, we would just avoid and harass (harmless stuff, not the legal definition that would get you 10-20 yrs in jail now) the tag checkers and, well, you know, kids will be kids. I didn't like wearing beach badges because the pins put holes in my boardies! Well, times have changed, a lot. In 2008 while surfing in LBI, I saw teenage kids doing what I used to do get ARRESTED and hauled off the beach by some manly ass lady cop. Jackboots, a baton, handcuffs, a real power tripper...all for the almighty revenue. As I got older, I learned about all the other bloated, corrupt, state, county, municipal, borough, city, town, township, crapola that exist in NJ and that you, as a taxpayer pay for. Layer after layer of rules and regs to police the lowest common denominator. Eventually I was over it and moved on. America is a big place, often uncrowded if you take a minute to look, even in coastal areas. There are a lot of places where your cost of living and taxes will be much lower and you will still get decent public services, i.e., trash pickup, cops, etc.

4. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Ok, understand now, your refering to municipalities revenue stream to support Services, my rant is over localities regulation of surfing when incorparated was basically un-challenged. If and when this accurs again just hope we don't sit idly on the sidelines without an attempt to seek alternative solutions with those Town Councils. Sorry took this to another level its just those OC MD regs have pi$$ me off for over 30 years and still have not gotten over it. I hope you'll agree with the talent just on this forum astonished that some form of Grassroots has not been established to seek some form of a solution to issues affecting us. Observing the success in FLa (agree local conditions different in each State) including other political success's from the grassroots level of a journey I began almost 20 years ago why it won't work here either. On that note, I'm a older Kook so just see it from a different view point so will turn it back over to you. Kudos for being civil about the confusion too, we're good .............

5. Behind The Sun

Behind The Sun Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
  6. Sir Fur

Sir Fur Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Amen to that. People need to take responsibility for themselves, their actions and choices. My worst lifeguard story...went swimming with my 3 yr old. Lifeguard said I couldn't go any deeper than waist deep...her waist!!! Couldn't believe it.

7. Surferdann

Surferdann Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I am sooo on-board with ya there. If only the rest of the state could realize the savings here.

8. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    same with school districts. in most states the school districts are by counties, and not towns like in jersey. so you got a superintendent making $150k grand a year in each town. do you know how much they pay these cops? $100k grand a year! i don't think they need that! maybe in camden, newark, paterson, jersey city, trenton, etc. that's just to patrol around in their cars, and write a few traffic tickets, and take reports for bicycles that weren't locked up that got stolen. it's ridiculous. a lot of these guys are out of shape. i would feel bad if they abolished the police forces just, because i don't wanna see anyone losing their jobs, but to pay them a little town cop over $100k grand a year is just stupid. in some parts of the country being a cop is still associated with bad pay or at least bad for what the job is especially in many big cities. i can't stand the public sector unions either. why are they allowed to even have public sector unions? they complain if god forbid they gotta put a percentage towards health care costs too! i'm not a big fan of private sector unions, but they don't generally bother me. all of this stuff in wisconsin, and jersey about how it's a horrible time to be a worker now! are you kidding me?

as much as i don't like teachers much more than cops[the profession, not the people] i hate that they always blame the teachers. the teachers are making $65k grand! the cops are making over $100k! teachers don't have to work as many days, but still. i can't justify paying the cops $100k grand in an upscale low crime town.

9. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    It's simple:

Buoys are over 4 ft. and the surf is decent: There are 15 surfing beaches and 5 swimming beaches.

Buoys are under 4 ft. and the surf is flat: There are 15 swimming beaches and 5 surfing beaches.

When the waves are even chest to shoulder the lifeguards don't let you go past your waist anyway. So my question is if the waves are breaking 50 to 75 yards out, then why can't surfers be out there if people are only "allowed" to stand in the water up to their knees?

The worst is when it's red flagged, NO SWIMMERS allowed in, and they STILL make you surf at the "surfing beach". When they whistle me out I always tell the guy I've been surfing here all year in 38 degree water and 10 degree air. I make sure he knows that I could easily out-swim him.

Their response is always, we just want to keep all the surfers in one place so we can keep an eye on them. I'm like:
    "When's the last time you had to save a surfer in overhead high surf? Keeping all the surfers in one place is going to cause more potential for injury and ruin the session."

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  10. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Interesting thread here....I for one don't have an issue with paying $30 for a season badge that will allow me to sit on the beach all day after a good morning session, or just for a day of chillaxing in the sun. I don't think its right for the towns that make parking an issue and get you for a badge as that is double dipping. Thats like driving through Delaware on I-95, you get to pay going both ways. But if my $30 goes to keeping the beaches raked, idiots a little safer, 4th of July fireworks, and the beaches a little cleaner then that makes the beach a more pleasant experience for everyone. This is what will keep the tourons coming back year after year. I know, who wouldn't love to see a deserted beach in the summertime, but there are benefits to having a local economic boon for the summer season, even if they don't affect you directly. And by September we have the place to ourselves again when the real waves finally start. But if you really have an issue with paying money then surf off peak hours or head to Strathmere, there's options for you. And as for towns that have designated surfing beaches, I've never understood this one. I think this is sort of an anti-surfing attitude. I mean it's better than not having a beach to surf at all, but there are several towns that allow surfing between the flags. This spreads out surfers and makes the experience better for all. I'll keep my business with these towns and boycott the others. And for cops that make a 100k a year, while there are some, I don't think your whole towns squad is pulling that kind of bank. Maybe the top guys, but your rookie patrolman is making 40k. If you don't believe me check out datauniverse, you can look up any NJ public workers salary (including county and municipal employees). Additionally a lot of these guys are seasonal and only on the books for 3 months a year. I'm not saying that shared services is a bad idea, because I think it would be a great way for towns to save money. I just think its incorrect to paint the picture that every local law enforcement is making a 100k.

11. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Surfrr,

In Ocean City, MD, they have what they "modified" surfing. Where the lifeguard captain will make a decision whether the weather/crowds/water temps will warrant allowing surfers to surf anywhere on certain days. This is obvious a really favorable and logical idea for us surfers.

Do they do that in New Jersey? If not, we should hit up the Surfrider with a request.

12. Sir Fur

Sir Fur Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I've haven't seen it in NJ, but it's a great idea. There\'s nothing more frustrating than looking at longs stretches of empty, unused beach between the life guards and not being able to surf. Instead I have to leave my family/friends, drive to the surfing beach, and surf a super crowded spot. All supposedly for my protection between the hrs of 10 and 5. Makes no sense.

13. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Long story short:

I roll up to a rainy grey summer beach day. No one around. During the week. Lifeguards have the skeleton crew setup on like every 4th or 5th beach or something. I'm psyched because the beaches are empty and there's a swell! Paddle out, get a couple good ones of the rocks. Then I hear the whistle. Turn around and some 17 year old girl lifeguard is waving me in. We've all been there.

Catch a wave and paddle in pretty confused at this point. She says: you have to move down two beaches to where the lifeguards are. Btw: it's like 4:15 by this point. I'm like what?! WHY? She replies with, that's our policy. I ask what time they get off she says 5. I'm thinking to myself, this is so ridiculous.

I don't want her to go call the renta cops so I go down to beaches to where it is hardly breaking (you would think since these "lifeguards" know so much about the water and surfing they would make the beach with the best break the surfing beach but no. Paddle out, the whole time the guy and girl guard were sitting up on the stand in their hoodies and sweat pants talking and NOT even looking at the water. It really just doesn't make any sense to me.

14. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Ya, there are so many small towns here in New Jersey that you would essentially have to try to make this change for every single town... But, having "modified surfing beaches" when the conditions call for it, just makes sense. I think this happens in Ocean City, MD, because there are enough surfers in the town that have influence on the local city council... Thats what it would take for towns around here...

15. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    We had a few cases where Towns annex tidal waters as City Limits that normally goverend by the State yet they didn't have the Legal authority to do so either by Charter or State Law. So it appears OC MD 1975 Charter annex their City Limits 3 miles East from the mean low water mark of the Atlantic Ocean. They did their homework, at first looked like city limits ended @ mean low water mark that is common for boundries of Tidal waters then further down extended 3 miles east of Atlantic Ocean. Just had to check, sometimes Towns regulate activities where by they don't have the legal authority, just as if of OC MD city limits ended at the Mean Low Water they would NOT have the authority to regulate surfing beyond the low water mark in my opinion.

§ C-301. - Boundaries, including 1975 annexation. (172)

A.
    The courses and distances showing the corporate limits of Ocean City shall be as follows: Beginning at the mean low water mark in the Atlantic Ocean where the northerly side of South Second Street, extended easterly, would strike the low water mark in said ocean; thence by and with the northerly line of South Second Street extended easterly, and the northerly line of South Second Street and its extension westerly, north 67˚42́11˝ west to the middle of Sinepuxent Bay; thence along the middle of Sinepuxent Bay, Isle of Wight Bay and Big Assawoman Bay in a general northerly direction and by and with the center line of Assawoman or Fenwick Ditch to a point in the middle of Assawoman or Fenwick Ditch which is located on the division line between the State of Maryland and the State of Delaware; thence by and with said division line due east to a point at the mean low water line of the Atlantic Ocean; thence by and with said division line due east three miles; thence in a generally southerly and southwesterly direction equidistant three miles due east of the mean low water line of the Atlantic Ocean at all points to a point where the northerly line of South Second Street extended easterly would be three miles from the intersection of said extension with the mean lot [low] water mark of the Atlantic Ocean; thence by and with the extension easterly of the northerly line of South Second Street north 67˚42́11˝ west three miles more or less to the place of beginning. All bearings refer to true north.

B.
    As soon as this charter shall become effective, the Mayor and City Council of Ocean City shall cause the foregoing outline of said corporate limits to be filed with the following: the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Worcester County; the Commissioner of the Land Office of Maryland; the Director of the Department of Legislative Reference of Maryland. All future changes in said corporate limits, by annexation or otherwise, shall likewise be filed with said officials or their successors.

What is interesting on the surfing ordinances is the number of surfing beaches is not listed on this offical version? Maybe that's a good thing?

Sec. 106-94. - Prohibited acts.

The following activities are hereby expressly prohibited and declared unlawful:

(1)

For any person to refuse to obey a directive or order of a patrolman given by said patrolman pursuant to section 106-93 of this division.

(2)

For any person to refuse to obey a directive or order of a patrolman given by said patrolman in enforcing any other terms of this division.

(3)

For any person to ride a surfboard on any waters adjoining or adjacent to the boardwalk, during the period from May 1 to September 30, or on any waters adjoining or adjacent to any beach in Ocean City, during the period from Friday of Memorial Day weekend to September 30, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., in each year, except as follows:

a.

It shall be lawful to utilize and ride a surfboard on those areas of the beach designated by the Mayor and City Council as "surfing areas" and posted as such by conspicuous signs, provided that any person utilizing or riding a surfboard in the surf in such areas shall use some means, such as an ankle leash, to attach some part of his body to said surfboard.
    b.

It shall be lawful to utilize and ride a surfboard during periods of inclement weather upon the express direction of the captain of the Beach Patrol.

(4)

For any person to swim, wade or otherwise enter an area designated as a "surfing area," except for persons with surfboards or members of the Ocean City Beach Patrol.

(5)

For any person to utilize or ride a skimboard on or adjoining any beach (to include those beaches designated as surfing beaches) in Ocean City or any waters adjacent thereto between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. during the period from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through the Sunday of Sunfest weekend in each year.

(.

(7)

For any person to participate in ball playing (as defined in this division) on the boardwalk, during the period from May 1 to September 30, or on any beach, during the period from Friday of Memorial Day weekend to September 30, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., in each year, except as follows:

a.

Volleyball is permitted to be played on the public beach volleyball courts.

b.

Ball playing may be allowed and kites may be flown, at the discretion of the respective patrolman, if, in the opinion of said patrolman, the type of ball being played or type of kite being flown and the location of said ball playing and kite flying does not constitute a hazard to the safety of the other occupants of any respective area of the beach.

(8)

For any person to possess any glass bottles, jars, cups or any other glass container while on the beaches within Ocean City.

(9)

For any person to ride a wind surfboard or operate any watercraft from or adjoining or land upon any beach in the corporate limits of Ocean City, from Friday of Memorial Day weekend to September 30, or the boardwalk, during the period from May 1 to September 30, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., in each year, except as follows:

a.

Emergency beaching of distressed watercraft.

b.

Ocean City Beach Patrol members operating surf rescue units.

c.

Participation in an organized tournament or event either sanctioned by or upon receipt of a "special events permit" from the Mayor and City Council.

(10)

For any person to operate any motorboat, jet ski or other type of motorized water vessel from or adjoining or land on any ocean beach in the corporate limits of Ocean City except for emergency beaching or by Ocean City Beach Patrol members operating surf rescue units, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. during the period from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through the Sunday of Sunfest weekend in each year.

(Code 1972, § 28-4; Ord. No. 1994-24, 9-19-1994; Ord. No. 1996-5, 4-4-1996)

Secs. 106-95—106-110. - Reserved.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  16. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Mr. Swellinfo,

I'm not sure if it's the same "modified" surfing in OCMD that seems to be codified by town ordinance as goofyfooter has posted. I do know that for the most part I've been able to surf in riptide like conditions at my local break when the beach was closed to regular swimmers. The one exception was during Hurricane Igor with VAS conditions. You're right in that it does vary from town to town, but I know there has to be more than the my local break. I'm pretty sure they have this policy in Seaside Heights as well, although I haven't surfed there during peak season in a few years. Talking to the lifeguards has been usually been helpful and eliminated any potential confusion. Also, I agree with you that exploring the implementation of such policies with Surfrider and local communities can be a win-win for everyone. The only difficulty is determining which communities are willing to cooperate and which aren't.

17. goofy footer

Sep 23, 2010
    After I read Swellinfo post, I was curious what the Ordinances actually are as written including City (Town) Charter and City Limits. Although I didn't mention it, surprised OC MD city limits extended as far as 3 miles which I've read else where is usually granted to State's by the Federal Goverment. In your case as far as Jersey, some home work envolved researching Town Charters, Town limits, surfing ordinances (how written) and authority to enforce those ordinances. At least you have a better idea the parameters facing your unique situation. If you have any questions be glad to help ...............

18. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    There's a spot in south monmouth county where as long as you have a surfboard they let you on for free. I'm not going to name the spot but it definitely gets fun there on the right swell, but pretty crowded.

19. ginsumagic

ginsumagic Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    NJ THE NAZI STATE !!!!!!!! F^^^^^^^^^ck

How's this, eliminate the corrupt politicians and put the saved money toward free beaches!

I dread the post memorial day beach access :(

20. Double Over-toe

Double Over-toe Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That is one thing i like about living in VB. We may not always got the swell but if you know where to park, then you can always park/use the beach for free. 1st Street though, and anywhere at the board walk, is a joke. to pay $10 for a day. I think it may be 7.00 for locals. How much does it cost you jersey guys for badges?