Guilty Conscience

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by live aloha, Jun 7, 2011.

1. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I intend this to be a joke, though I'm certain that some hilarious arguments will ensue...

Has this ever happened to you?: So I was driving on Rt. 50 on Friday and ended up behind a car with a "SUP" window sticker. I quickly felt pangs or rage shooting up my spine. My jaw began to tighten, and I clenched my teeth. I was on a mission to cut off this person! "You and your stupid canoe can suck it!" I thought as I floored the gas pedal. As I pulled next to this car and saw some benign looking old lady at the wheel...the anger faded and I just kept driving.
    I sat there wondering for at least an hour why I got so furious at a window sticker. Maybe the thought that this Gidget-breeding monstrosity is overtaking lineup's everywhere, or maybe the fear that some oar-wielding kook will one day give me a concussion. Maybe I just resent the fact that a punch of 'posers' keep invading my world and making me feel less cool. Maybe it's the fact that my girlfriend's mom told me she is determined to try it; she is from West Virginia. Maybe I should be committed? :p

2. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Freud would say your rage indicates that you are jealous of their life style and easy dominance of the waves. Jung would say you are jealous and intimidated by their humongous sticks making yours seem small and inadequate. Bruddah IZ would say you are definitely not living aloha.

peace brother

3. live aloha

Oct 4, 2009
    ahhhh ***** envy! I didn't even think of it before hahahahaha. nice, and probably the same reason I hate people driving Hummer's as I cruise around in my Honda Fit waiting for one of them to kill me. :)

4. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    when i asked for a hummer, she gave me some keys...

hahha..nah, man ..that just means you got STYLE....and when gas hits $5/gal, you'll be a freakin GENIUS!!

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    like ........

6. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    She could just be one of those river SUPers. I see them on the Navesink all the time...

...or it could be her son's car who is a huge douche, sits outside in the lineup and grabs every wave from you

7. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    it helps to keep things in perspective. I'd much rather deal with grannies on SUPs than laxerbros with Hollister and puka shell necklaces.

8. whosthat

whosthat Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Very well said spongedude......good stuff.
    Live aloha......that happens to me all the time. I think it's our environment. The combo of territory/population along with living/survivng. It's ironic that I don't get the rage in Hawaii. (Partly for fear of getting my ass kicked, but that can happen anywhere I guess.)
    For example, rolling through "nalo". Always heavy traffic. I love stopping the traffic to let pedestrians cross(even out of the crosswalk), or to let the drivers in. Usually you get a bunch of shaka's......karma seems to set in and the positive vibe returns in the lineup.
    Back here, NOT.........I still try to keep positive, but it's waaaay more challenging.

9. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    You still shoulda cut the old biotch off and had a beer to celebrate. What were you thinking - no time to go soft - were at war here soldier !!!

10. dirtythirty34

dirtythirty34 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    hm, driving on rt.50 on a friday to the beach......

11. live aloha

Oct 4, 2009
    your point???

I was driving from Annapolis to Baltimore by the way, nowhere near any beach (unless you count Sandy Point;)).

12. SurfingOC912

SurfingOC912 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Please stay in Baltimore

13. live aloha

Oct 4, 2009
    Uhhhh please eat sh!t... :)

14. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    F'in hilarious!

15. n2waves

n2waves Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Nowhere near any beach^^^ So why do you care? Your obiviously not surfing and don't live at the beach.

16. live aloha

Oct 4, 2009
    Some of us aren't so blessed as to live next to the ocean our whole lives. I've lived on both coasts of the USA and in Hawaii and spent over two years living at sea, so your "I'm so friggen more hardcore than you" argument doesn't fly exactly. I will admit that the comment from the previous OC local irked me. The reason for this? I spent years surfing in many places all over the globe without ever having a "local break" to attach to my name. Now I teach and do research in Annapolis. Despite those hundreds of sessions spent at the mercy of local crews, nowhere have I encountered such xenophobic attitudes as right here at home. You guys literally have no idea how fortunate you are to have good waves with so few people. Surfing's about sharing waves and experiences and stories between both friends and strangers. If you haven't experienced this side of riding waves, I truly feel sorry for you. When you travel abroad, do local surfers scowl at you and tell you to leave? I have traveled more than 99% of the people on this site, and this has NEVER happened to me. Yet the Entitlement Generation on this site tries to stab me with Ugly Americanism a mere 2 hours from my home. It's very very sad.

17. CBLACK

CBLACK Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    "You guys literally have no idea how fortunate you are to have good waves with so few people. Surfing's about sharing waves and experiences and stories between both friends and strangers."

What's the difference between their attitudes and your initial attitude towards someone with an SUP sticker on their car? Are you entitled to waves that the SUPer might be catching?
    I'm only trying to play devils advocate.
    I think any of this, "stay home" attitude is crap. Everyone is entitled to have fun. If they're being an A-hole or doing something wrong, let them know that they are.

18. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Good Philosophy.....Those memories will retain for a life time and the other stuff not so much ...............

19. n2waves

n2waves Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I think you are missing the point, your the one hating on someone that has a SUP sticker on their car. Saying you want to cut them off on the road, that is a pretty bold statement. I could see your agrument being valid if you acutally were at the beach, surfing, or where even on your way to the beach to grab a surf. No need to throw out being "hardcore" or "you have traveled here and there." If that is true you would know that 99% of the time local surfers anywhere you go don't like you unless you know them.

20. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    well, ya got that right...:D