It's called a flow rider. They're alot of fun. The major difference between a flow rider and surfing is that when you're playing around with the flow rider you've got no fins. The boards are a whole lot like a skimboard but much more narrow. Some have bindings and some don't, depends on your skill level. All in all it's alot of fun but when it comes down to it, it's no substitute for the real thing, but it's definitely a VERY CLOSE 2nd!!!!