Page 77 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1265
  1. #761
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    When I used the term pure surfing in regard to Roy's designs I am using it to simply imply that the olo style long board which it is doesn't do anything fancy other than surf efficiently from a sweet spot riding position. It's only designed to surf, not nose walk, smack lips, launch airs, or make excessive spray wih hard turning menuvers. So it's not to belittle anyone's feelings towards what's pure for them it's just a simplified style is all.
    Lol Charles u know that sentiment has been said before and Roy would put down who ever would say that. So just keep that in mind.

  2. #762
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    14,966
    ^^^ Well said

  3. #763
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    843
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Roy would put down who ever would say that. So just keep that in mind.
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.

  4. #764
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    14,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.
    Charles, I like you and all but you really should replace the term "surfing" with "trimming", surfing is what we all do, regardless of what style you call it, the act of riding a wave is in fact surfing.The style that you and Roy coin "pure surfing" should be referred to as "trimming", as that essentially is what it is in the world of surfing. I know i know, Roy doesn't subscribe to the same set of rules of all the other surfers in the world, but let's just call it what it is, trimming...

  5. #765
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    2,186
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.
    Hard core brah... F those mean short boards.

  6. #766
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

    If the definition of “pure surfing” really is “a no mind state free of the usual pseudo rational social and mental abstractions”, then it doesn’t take one of Roy’s boards to do it.

    .
    Roy has never suggested that one of his boards is required so you are arguing against a mirage of your own making.

    The term 'pure surfing' is something I came up with as a convenient phrase which encapsulates some of my surfing and design ideology, as said previously, other people can use it to refer to whatever they like, I don't own it.

    .

  7. #767
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post

    Charles, I like you and all but you really should replace the term "surfing" with "trimming", surfing is what we all do, regardless of what style you call it, the act of riding a wave is in fact surfing.The style that you and Roy coin "pure surfing" should be referred to as "trimming", as that essentially is what it is in the world of surfing. I know i know, Roy doesn't subscribe to the same set of rules of all the other surfers in the world, but let's just call it what it is, trimming...

    Define trimming if you please.

  8. #768
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    14,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Define trimming if you please.
    It is what you say it is Roy, nobody can take that from you, not even me.

  9. #769
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside.
    It's a pretty simple concept, one either gets it or one doesn't, it seems.


    What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in the water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.
    We call them 'the sad boys club' ... a convenient phrase which encapsulates a common thread in their group mind set.

  10. #770
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post

    It is what you say it is Roy, nobody can take that from you, not even me.
    You have been advising us to call what we do 'trimming' rather than 'surfing'.

    If you don't know what you mean by trimming then your suggestion becomes meaningless.

    Technically surfing always involves the surfboard being used at an angle of trim, therefore all surfing is 'trimming'. If that's the case then one can use either term as one pleases.

    If you have some other definition of 'trimming' then please type it out so that we know what you mean by it.

    .