Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Attachment 7693Attachment 7694

Real deal Holifield. I met Steve at the washout on saturday as he was leaving. That's my mini simmonsish board. Don't believe me? Look up a hollow wooden surfboard thread I made a while ago.
    Now you're in on the scam too Clemson??? lol. joking.
    Cool, now how about a ride report????

Attachment 7693Attachment 7694

Real deal Holifield. I met Steve at the washout on saturday as he was leaving. That's my mini simmonsish board. Don't believe me? Look up a hollow wooden surfboard thread I made a while ago.
    Awesome. Glad we finally have some proof. Did you get a chance to ride it?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Awesome. Glad we finally have some proof. Did you get a chance to ride it?
    I took it out for a paddle but didn't catch a wave. It took a couple paddles to get going. It really wasn't the day for this board. There weren't any long boarders out and the washout generally isn't a longboard spot either. The place was crowded because it was 12 on a Saturday plus the wahine classic was going on. Steve didn't have the leash on either so I was pretty hesitant to take a late drop or wipe out.

Bottom line... No ride report yet but Steve and the board are legit.

I took it out for a paddle but didn't catch a wave. It took a couple paddles to get going. It really wasn't the day for this board. There weren't any long boarders out and the washout generally isn't a longboard spot either. The place was crowded because it was 12 on a Saturday plus the wahine classic was going on. Steve didn't have the leash on either so I was pretty hesitant to take a late drop or wipe out.

Yeah, my prediction was that the board would have a rough time in normal SC swell. Much of the time, when it is above waist high, it is really choppy (like this weekend). I had my fun shape out yesterday, but wished I had the egg.

Some members now need to make an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Some members now need to make an apology.
    I would say we need to congratulate Steve that he is not a Gnome from Frotoville.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    I would say we need to congratulate Steve that he is not a Gnome from Frotoville.
    Agreed.

Steve, be careful with the no leash thing. It is technically illegal on Folly, and the cops get bored sometimes.

I'm kinda bummed Steve is real now. I was sure he was made up.

Clemson, did he talk to you about his board at all? I'm guessing he had to, did he seem disappointed or stoked about it? If you had trouble on it I wonder if he's kinda disappointed he put all that effort into making something that isn't suited for east coast surf. I mean, I respect the guy that he put all that work into making a wooden surfboard that he doesn't think it worth $1.47 million dollars, but it's gotta be at least a little frustrating that he can't ride it more often or have as much fun on it as a shorter, wider board like a funboard/fish/mini simmons.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    Me too. No apologies but I stand corrected.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post

Clemson, did he talk to you about his board at all? I'm guessing he had to, did he seem disappointed or stoked about it? If you had trouble on it I wonder if he's kinda disappointed he put all that effort into making something that isn't suited for east coast surf. I mean, I respect the guy that he put all that work into making a wooden surfboard that he doesn't think it worth $1.47 million dollars, but it's gotta be at least a little frustrating that he can't ride it more often or have as much fun on it as a shorter, wider board like a funboard/fish/mini simmons.
    Sometimes it's about the journey not the destination. There will be some days when this board will be able to perform as intended. The leash is a necessary evil for everyone's safety including the board's.

Roy gave the perfect explanation for these types of boards in his video. A little after the 10 minute mark, he's talking about people who travel to find the best surf. He doesn't buy into that rather he tries to make the board for the wave.

His boards and designs are made specifically for the NZ waves he rides.

As far as Steve and his board goes, I assure you he didn't make the board for anyone other than himself and it is very well crafted. If he wants to build another shape I am sure he's got the skills to do it.